Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2006 in 2010. It had less than 6,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has about 26,000. I use it almost solely for commuting on country roads and the freeway. I have almost always had the work done by a mechanic that is supposed to know what he is doing. That guy sold the shop and the new guy asked me about the noise coming from the back end. When the motor is off and I push the scoot there is some sort of mechanical grumbling. I thought it was just normal noise from a CVT. Is it? This new mechanic said he can open the back end to check. As long as he is in there he should replace the belt – never done under my ownership – and make any other corrections necessary. The estimated cost is just short of $400. OUCH! Could this be a belt issue, a slider issue, a clutch issue...?
Thx, Rob

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
BTW, that bearing is not turning when the clutch is engaged and the bike moving. It only functions when you are pushing the bike around with the engine off or the engine is idling and the bike not moving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same issue with my K05, but I noticed it the most wile at idle and stopped. Pulled off the cover, popped the clutch out and replaced the inside bearing. There is a similar bearing on the inside of the clutch however it is not the one prone to failure. For a change it is the easy one to get to that will need replacing. If the inner bearing is bad, specialty tools will most likely be needed to change it out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also, if the belt has never been changed it's overdue by 11,000 miles according to Suzuki. Renewal time is 15k miles. But you can run them longer if it's within spec but I think at 26,000 miles it's well done and needs changing to stop a breakage.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would guess it is the one of the bearings inside the final drive housing. I have seen this on two pre-07s with this noise.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. Now that I have something to show the mechanic (I don't have the place, time, or guts to do it myself). I can make sure they have the bearing in stock. I was planning to have the belt done as long as it's all open. I really appreciate the assistance.!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
26,000 miles with the OEM belt that could be a record, but it's living on borrowed time. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's possible the previous owner changed it, but I haven't. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts