Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going round the twisties occasionally if your like me your heart skips a beat when you hear that scrape as something touches down. On the Burgman it is usually the centre stand. The other day whilst pottering I took a look to see if I could grind / cut some bits off the stand that were grounding first. I took a look at the centre stand and saw that it had a big rubber cushion / grommet thing that acted as a stop. I took note of where the stand was when in the up position. I then pulled out that grommet and put the stand back up. Wow, what a differance. It went up much further. I can't do the maths but I reckon lifting the stand a few centimters higher will give a much greater lean angle before it hits the tarmac. So I left it off for a while. No grounding.
Then I thought,if it did ground with no rubber there would be no "give" and it might tend to lift the back end a tad, not good.
So I thought I'd comprimise and cut some off the rubber cushion/grommet. This has allowed the stand to sit higher and give the extra clearance but still have a bit of rubber to afford some give should it touch down. So if you are thinking of suspension upgrades etc. maybe take 5 mins and cut your grommet and see how it goes

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
I think I'd rather find a way to lift the bike up a bit so your lean angle in greater before the center stand grinds.

I have hit my center stand hard enough to lift the back tire enough to slide out a bit. :eek:

I added 1/2 inch of steel washers under the front forks springs top cap to reduce the front sag ratio. It is hard to get that cap back on but diligence proves out.

I also replaced my rear shocks and springs with aftermarket ones that are a bit higher spring rate and the shocks are also 1/2 inch taller. This helped a lot.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dave which rear shocks did you go with? Youre right about lifting the bike up but cost wise it's worth a try. Used to lift the back end a few times in my Norton Dominator days but that was the exhaust touching down, and of course I was younger and dafter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts