Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all for the help with the grips and throttle lock selection and installation. I ran into a couple of "challenges" that might be of help to others.

A) The right bar end weight was not susceptible to "unscrewing." I tried an impact wrench which also produced no success. I ended up twisting the bar end weight out simply by brute force. (My hands are still tired!) Once out, it was obvious that the nut had been securely lacquered in place. I tried using a wrench on the nut and a screwdriver held in a vise to break the seal - no dice!

I took a look at Nanette's grips and the right one seems to be a carbon copy... :x

2) In dremeling the "rings" around the throttle sleeve, I removed too much material. With the Vista Cruise throttle lock tightened down as far as it will go, it still did not adequately clamp to prevent throttle rotation. It was necessary to build-up the sleeve to support the action of the lock.

I'm not sure how well the throttle lock will clamp down on the thin ring, however it will probably be better than on tape. I'll find out sometime in the next week or so when Nanette's grips and throttle lock arrive. :lol:

We gave the grips and throttle lock a workout yesterday in a trip to Flagstaff. What a difference a comfortable grip makes :!: And how wonderful to be able to point at the beautiful field of flowers with your right hand :!:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fran, which grips did you get? Also, did you buy the Universal Vista Cruise? I put new foam grips on my 650 and they make a world of difference from the hard rubber stock grips. But, I can no longer use my O-ring so was going to order the Universal Vista. Just wondering if that's what you have and where you ordered from.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have specified, for those who weren't involved i the original dialogues...

I got he ISO grips, 6241 - medium. For the money, I like them best. They feel good and look good.

The throttle lock is "Vista Cruise" for double-throttle cable Yamaha, rather than the Universal. Using the smaller clamp piece, it is a very good fit.

In use, the throttle lock is very nice. It takes negligible force to engage and disengagement is by thinking about it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
New grips and cruise control

Just happened to be surfing through the site and came across your thred. The grips and cruise control look grate. I've been trying to decide on a cruise controle system that did ot involve a bunch of wires as well as some comfortable grips. I feel like I am developing corpral tunnel with the stock grips. Can you list the specifics of what you bought and how to install. I've been very aprehensive about dismantleing anything on my burg.

James

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cruise Control for Burgman 650

Throttlemeister makes an excellent cruise control for the Burgman AN650. Am very satisfied with mine.

650Scoot

·
Registered
532 Posts
Re: Cruise Control for Burgman 650

650Scoot commented favorably on the Throttlemeister and I concur. I have used Throttlemeisters on previous bikes as well as on my AN650. For no particular reason (perhaps appearance?) I bought the longer, heavier TM for the Burgman. What I discovered is that the extra weight makes a positive difference in turn in. The bike actually seems to handle better because of the minute addition of weight on the bar ends. I was pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
322 Posts
jc I have put the 6241 kuryakyn iso grips on with the brakeaway throttle lock on my new 05 650. the throttle lock is the only one i've found that also shuts off by the brake lever.[nice safety feature] the grips are great and the cruise lock is awesome and looks great. pricey at about 300.00 for grips/cruise/taxes. I had to buy the throttle lock for metric cruisers through a dealer as the company wouldn't sell me one brecause they hadnt as of yet tried one on a burgman [a liability thing for them] install was straight forward and no bike or grip modification was necessary. took about 30 minutes to install safe riding eyes5002

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have looked at that website and contacted the company, but like you said, they won't sell since they haven't put it on a Burgman.

I then decided to put on the Vista Cruise lock. It is much cheaper and works well.

How was installation on the Burgman? Did you have to modify or move any items? Plus it would be nice to see the item on a Burgman! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts