Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if any of you guys have changed your handlebar grips. I went for an extended ride the last couple of days and though I have small hands I found the grips felt too small. Hands cramped a bit. Could be me I guess. If any of you have changed grips what did you change too?

Thanx

Tim

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Tim,

I have fairly large hands and the grips seem fine to me. I have two suggestions though.

1. I always wear riding gloves. My ventilated Summer gloves have gel pads built into the palms. My Winter gloves are well padded with insulation of course. If you don't currently wear riding gloves, you might find that they help.

2. For extended rides, you need some sort of throttle lock. You need to be able to relax your grip occasionally, or your hands will cramp no matter what size the handlebar grips are. On a long stretch, I will occassionally set the throttle lock and take my right hand off of the bars, swing it down by my side to get blood flow going & wiggle my fingers. Then I'll put my right hand back and do the same with my left hand. It helps a lot. Without a throttle lock, you can't do that with your right hand of course. Some folks have also tried the throttle rocker devices - mixed reactions to those, but they could also allow you to relax your right hand a bit.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Since this questioning of grips is already started I would like to ask anyone if they know of or have installed Gel Grips on there burgman. I'm interested in possible trying these out . I've heard other bikers talk of them but have never seen any.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Paul, what kind of a throtle lock do you have? I have contacted a couple of Suzuki dealers and they said there isn't enough room for a throtle lock on Angel's 03 650.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tim, if you're nice, I'll let you ride my 400 again with the foam grips!
:lol: :lol: And if you buy me breakfast, I'll tell you where to get them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill Trammell said:
Paul, what kind of a throtle lock do you have? I have contacted a couple of Suzuki dealers and they said there isn't enough room for a throtle lock on Angel's 03 650.
I use a simple Caterpillar o-ring. It works fine, and only cost about $3. I think you can get them from Jac Vinson, probably easier than tracking them down at a Caterpillar dealer unless you have one close by.

Other more elaborate types like Vista-cruise and NEP have been fitted, but I think they do require minor modification. Throttlemeister will work without modification, but they are quite expensive, and I actually find the o-ring easier to operate.

Do a search on "o-ring" and you'll pull up more info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So sez the dealer

Bill, you said
Paul, what kind of a throtle lock do you have? I have contacted a couple of Suzuki dealers and they said there isn't enough room for a throtle lock on Angel's 03 650../[/code]
I put Kuriakan (sp?) grips on my 650 and a vista cruise. When I got the original grips off, the two flanges that hold the original grip on were in the way for both the grips and a cruise control. A dremmel tool and five minutes corrected the problem. The grips fit and so does the Vista Cruise.

A note on installation. There is a tab on the Vista Cruise that fits between the throttle cables. That tab keeps the VC from turning. On the bottom of the handlebar module that has the starter/kill swith there are two screws. After you install the VC, take care for a little while and rotate the handle bar module oer several rides so that the lever that sets and shuts off the VC is just barely above your thumb so that when you open your hand to brake, your thumb shuts off the VC. Had one on every bike since '68, they work great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Bill Trammell said:
I have the Nep on installed, just had to peel back the grip at the inside and it fit right in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Throttle lock

Bill,

I installed a Vista Cruiser Universal on my 650 and it installs very easily and works perfectly. The lock knob sits more to the top of the bars than where the instructions have it located. I had one on my 400 located as the instructions advise but the 650 works just as good.

Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ted clement said:
Tim, if you're nice, I'll let you ride my 400 again with the foam grips!
:lol: :lol: And if you buy me breakfast, I'll tell you where to get them.
Thanks Ted. I'll take that under advisement. Remember now - I know where you live. :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tim, sorry that I butted in on your grip question with my question to Paul about Throttle Locks.

Thanks Paul and the rest for you responses, I will look into the Caterpillar o-ring. I feel a little guilty on our long rides when I use the crusie control on my Wing and Angel has to keep a grip on the throttle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill Trammell said:
Tim, sorry that I butted in on your grip question with my question to Paul about Throttle Locks.
No apology needed. If you can't find a satisfactory throttle lock maybe you and the wife could just trade bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey Bill T, don't listen to Tim. Once you get on the 650, you'll have to sell the GW.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Allan:

as to gel grips, they are primarily designed to reduce vibration coming through the bars. I have them on the Bandit and they do help. My opinion as to the Burgman since there is no vibration,the gel grips wouldn't help but wouldn't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I think a perfect combo would be the Kuryakin grips with heaters built in and their throttle lock. (forget what it's called)
Is it the Vista Cruise?

Nice fat grips and they look cool too.

Does Kuryakin even make a heated grip?

I've never seen one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I notice a slight vibration in the handlebars at idle after installing the Kuryakn 6180 ISO grips. If I take both hands off, the bars vibrate quite a bit. But, when I apply pressure to the grips it is almost unnoticeable. I love the grips. Don

·
Registered
240 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Allan:
as to gel grips, they are primarily designed to reduce vibration coming through the bars. I have them on the Bandit and they do help. My opinion as to the Burgman since there is no vibration,the gel grips wouldn't help but wouldn't hurt either.
I thought the stock grips on Burgman are gel grips already?
A fat, contoured grip like the ones on Vulcan 750 would be nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts