Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give a very positive review of the Grip Buddies grip wraps. These are neoprene and rubber grip covers that wrap around the stock grips and attach with a strip of adhesive tape and velcro. The wraps are totally removable with no damage done to the stock grips if you decide against them in the future. My guess is you won't want to remove them after installation. They provide a little cushion to the grips and give a little thicker feel to the skinny stock grips. The thicker circumference of the grips with the Grip Buddies installed are so much more comfortable and are a must if you have a larger hand or long fingers. The wraps aren't so thick that they would be uncomfortable to someone with a smaller hand either. They also work with heated grips as well.

I'm not affiliated with Grip Buddies, but would highly recommend their product. The cost is only $24.95 and shipping is free in the continental US. That's much less expensive then buying large diameter fancy grips. If you do decide to purchase the Grip Buddies, be sure to mention that you heard about them on our BurgmanUSA Forum. I know they asked where I heard of them when I made my purchase. The company started by making grip wraps for BMW bikes under the name Original Beemer Buddies, but they now manufacture the proper custom sized wraps for all street bikes including the Burgmans. I've turned into a big fan of their product. You can read more about them at their website here:

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1 for Grip Buddies. I put mine on my '03 650 within a few DAYS after getting the bike. They make all the difference in the world, and work flawlessly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Renegade for the +1. I had NOJ grip wraps on a bike for a while and they practically fell apart. I learned later that they were a knockoff of the Original Grip Buddies. When I switched to the Grip Buddies, I was so impressed and love the cushioning and good grip they provide. Best $25 I've spent on a motorcycle accessory and I have them on all my bikes.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Suzuki factory heat grip larger than normal grip exec grip, do this product work with heat ghrip ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they do. If uncertain of the grip size, you can measure the circumference of the grip and they will make sure you get the proper sized wrap. They make grip wraps for all gip sizes. Their customer service is top tier. Couldn't say enough about the wraps or the service. Give them a call and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too put a set of these on my Burgman 650 and I absolutely love them, the throttle is much easier to manipulate, my gloved hands feel like they are in much better contact and control.

Michael

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I had a set on my 650 and did not like them... I have large hands and they just did not feel right... I took them off... I found a set of grip replacement that some one in England was selling... they looked cool so I got them... took the old grips off and after dipping the new grips in water with a bit of Dawn liquid in it,,, slid them on and been satisfied ever since... One thing I did not like about the grip puppies was when they got wet... I live in Florida and riding in the rain is a common thing certain times of the year...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is there an issue if I have the Brakeaway Throttle lock installed? Just asking.. I want to avoid a hassle..
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noth,

I see nobody answered your question about the BrakeAway Throttle Lock. I see no reason why the Grip Buddies wouldn't work well for you. Just be sure to measure the length of the throttle grip to be sure you get the right size Grip Buddy. It appears that the BrakeAway is installed a little over the stock grip, but that is just my guess since I don't own one. Just measure the length of your throttle grip and purchase the right size. No problem.

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
201 Posts
positive review of the Grip Buddies grip wraps. These are neoprene and rubber grip covers that wrap around the stock grips and attach with a strip of adhesive tape and velcro.
I also prefer the Neoprene Grip wraps to the foam Grip Puppies

Grip Buddies sets the standard for grips. In my opinion the NOJ
neoprene comfort grips are almost as good for half the price.

GW01-01-2T.jpg

I have trouble gripping the throttle in the summer when it can become wet and slick. I used to wear gloves but the neoprene grips are much more convenient for short trips. The grip covers provide a comfortable cushion but unlike gloves they provide no protection. NOJ grip covers can be found on eBay for as little as $8 with free shipping.

Grip covers could probably be fabricated from a cup holder or neoprene koozie for next to nothing. Coozie's cost about $0.55 each but many companies and organizations give them away. If anyone has taken this route, please report.

Similar products;
NOJ comfort grip wraps: http://www.nojgear.com/NOJ_Neoprene_Grip_Wraps
grip buddies
, http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html
grip puppies. http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...s/GRIPPUP.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Grip covers could probably be fabricated from a cup holder or neoprene koozie for next to nothing. Coozie's cost about $0.55 each but many companies and organizations give them away. If anyone has taken this route, please report.
I'm cheap. Let's call it what it is. ;-) But I also don't want to do anything that would alter the grips themselves, at least not yet. I'm too cheap to buy the Grip Buddies, so I thought about this approach. But couldn't find any cozies that didn't have a logo or something printed on them. So I went a slightly different route. I used draw liners from Harbor Freight.

My first go, I used the ones with the open mesh style:
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-72-inch-mesh-nonslip-drawer-liner-67055.html

I just cut out two 100mm wide strips across the roll (so 100mm x 18 inches) and wrapped them around the grips. The nice thing about the mesh is that it will essentially become self-adhesive with enough pressure. So I wouldn't need to use any tape, or glues, or anything like that.

I figured I'd test these on an 80-mile ride this weekend.

The first thing I noticed was that my hands didn't sweat at ALL. Normally, on the regular grips, my palms start to sweat after a while. But I think the mesh allowed them to "breathe". It also increased the mass of the grips, so my hands didn't cramp anywhere near as much. Although, some of the cramping is just from not having ridden in years prior to this. Finally, the vibration was knocked down quite a lot... like... next to nothing at all. So all victories!

That said, they compress down a LOT when you're holding the grips. So even though they do add to the diameter, it's not as much as I'd like. I think this weekend, I may try to put down a couple layers of the solid drawer liner, and THEN put the mesh over that. That may add enough bulk to kill the cramping entirely.

I'll try the second arrangement and report back. Hopefully, the weather holds out for me to go on a nice long ride again!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry I wasn't able to get back to this sooner. Sadly, we here in PA have been busy building arks and bailing out our basements.

I've been riding with just the open mesh for a while, and did did pretty well. But it does compress VERY easily. A little... too... easily... So I decided to try adding some bulk to the grips.

For this go, I used both the solid and mesh drawer liners. The solid liners I used are these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-22-inch-nonslip-toolbox-liner-66948.html

I used a strip 10 CM X 16 inches. I cut that strip in half, so both grips are using 8 Inches, which wraps around the grip about one and half times. I wrapped the solid liner first. Once I got it all the way around, I put the mesh with it, so there was about a half a wrap of overlap between them. The the mesh wraps around two more times.

This added quite a bit of bulk to the grips. And it still compresses pretty easily to make it much more comfortable. The vibration isn't noticeable at all unless I'm thinking about it and paying attention. After a 30-mile ride, I had zero hand cramps at all. The bike still handled the same, and was more comfortable to ride. And with the mesh top layer, There's still a lot less sweat involved.

Wrapping this way makes the grips about 43mm in diameter, and compress down to about 37mm or so when riding. So it's adding almost a full cm (7mm) to the stock grips.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this. For the price ($7 for the mesh, $4 for the solid, and I can do about five bikes!), there's no way I could beat the results. The only thing left to do is maybe put a lycra sleeve over it or something.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
aa, what did you use to close the flap?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The MESH is "self-adhesive." After you ride for a little while and hold the grip, the mesh will grip to itself so the flap isn't an issue. The same can't be said for just the solid liner, though.

I've ridden with the mesh for a couple weeks with no issues at all. And so far, the current install is holding together pretty well. Although, I really need another, longer, ride to get it to stick better.

If you try this, the two bits of advice: Make sure the seem is toward the 7 o'clock position on the grip. That way, your finger tips don't rub on it. Also, wrap it COUNTER-clockwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been using foam grip sleeves on my motorcycles for a number of years. The brand I’ve used is “Grab On”. But the grips on a Burgman are slightly smaller in diameter than the Frav On product is designed for. I found another vendor with a similar product that is slightly smaller to hopefully fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts