Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arthur;

Welcome aboard and greetings from Eastern NC. Not too many hills out this way...unless you count our landfill. Glad to hear about your new purchase.

Have a great time.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I did it! I registered on this site. I no longer feel like a voyeur. I've been frequenting this site for a few months as I agonized over the choice of a scoot.

It's com down to considering a used '02 Silverwing and a new Burgman 400. They cost about the same. I'm 5'8" 170 with a 30" inseam and bad knees, and I really haven't ridden enough since my passing the MSF 3 years ago to be considered anything but a newbie.

My biggest question is the strength of the 400 to go up the hills that we have here. There is no question that it is the more comfortable of the two for me. I finally convinced the wife that I should buy one for my birthday (last week), so if everything goes well, I'll have one in my garage this weekend! :lol:

I hope that someone who has a 400 and rides/has ridden in hilly/mountainous areas can help me with the above.

Thanks, and I hope to meet you out on the road! :D

Arthur

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
If your riding solo at high speed (65-70) or 2 up @ 55 you should be ok. If your riding 2 up at high speed (65-70) for longer runs you might want the SW for more power. As to the ride I can't comment on the SW.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Arthur,

I am 6'0", 235 lbs. and live in New York's Catskill Mountains, where some of the slopes are darn steep. My new (1 month old) Burgman 400 has hauled my lard butt up and down those hills with no problem at all. Mind you, it doesn't go up the steepest and twistiest at 65 mph, but I've never asked it to. It might.

Enjoy your ride.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, everyone

Thanks again for all your information. I'm buying my 400 tomorrow (I'll be able to pick it up Monday). My biggest decision is blue or silver. My dealer (Waynesville Cycle Center) has both in stock. :D :cheers:

Keep the rubber side down and a smile on your face.

Arthur

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Thanks, everyone

ank57 said:
Thanks again for all your information. I'm buying my 400 tomorrow (I'll be able to pick it up Monday). My biggest decision is blue or silver. My dealer (Waynesville Cycle Center) has both in stock. :D :cheers:

Keep the rubber side down and a smile on your face.

Arthur
Arthur is a smart man :D Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's Blue

As of Monday, I'll be the owner of a blue 400! :cheers:

I was just wondering, if the 650 is the Burger King, is the 400 the Whopper Junior? :lol:

Arthur

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ank57 You're Gonna Love It

I got my silver 400 on 13 May, and have over 500 miles on it. Will be doing the 600 mile maint one day next week. Dealer wanted $195 just for a valve adjustment, but said as long as I document in writing that I have done it, the warranty will be honored.

I had a Honda Reflex 250 before, and it was a fine machine, but I'm loving the extra power of the 400.

After you've ridden it a bit, you might like to have the backrest tilted forward some to be more flush with your back....at least I did. If so, let me know and I'll detail how I did mine...got about an inch or more forward tilt on it.

Lots of discussion about windshields: I expected to have to put a larger one on, but with the purchase of a new style helmet from Nolan, I find the OEM shield doing an adequate job at interstate speed. I'm 5' 10"+ and the wind seems to hit right at the top of my helmet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts