Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess not unlike a lot of other folks, I too just jumped in without "properly" introducing myself. I live and work in Raleigh North Carolina. I work at the Raleigh-Durham airprort and have taken to Riding "MR. Burgman" to work. I work for a major airline (21 years) and was really fed up with high prices for gas. I owned a Honda "Hawk" 400cc bike back (more than a few years ago) in college. I find that I am MUCH more cautious about riding that I was when I was still "wet behind the ears". I have signed up for the MSF course (long time to wait to get in) and have applied a couple of safety features to the scooter already-sequenced flashing brake lights and a headlight modulator. I also aquired a bright lime green reflective vest and I don't ride with out it!

I am enjoying riding and looking forward to doing some "rallys" and some moderate touring. I look forward to improvements planned for the scooter: such as a Clearview or Givi windsheild and a Givi trunk with light kit for the back.

I ,like a few other people have mentioned, greatly admire this forum for it's intelligent exchanges and frank discussions. Some of the mods that I have tried, I never would have tried alone without the pictures and descriptions I found on different parts of the fourums. The Moderators do a FANTASTIC job of not only keeping this site up, but keeping things fresh and alive as new topics come up. WELL DONE!!

My screen name is Dusty but real name is Doug and I look forward to many years of useful,fun, intelligent exchanges on this forum!! :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Doug :hello2:

Well I welcomed you earlier this month - and I don't mind doing it again.
:wink:
I am glad you posted in this section - more people have an opportunity to notice and welcome new forum members here. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Doug,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA.

I also had a 400cc Honda Hawk. Mine was a 1979 which I bought used in the mid-eighties. It was immaculate, and only had 50 miles on it! Very cold blooded, but I had it re-jetted and it ran like a champ after that. I liked that bike.

·
Registered
832 Posts
HI Doug,
I'm your temporary neighbor in Greenville,will be here a week visiting the kids.Did you see the giant Vespa sign on 264 in Raliegh wow that's bigtime.I recently purchased a blue 400 berg and it's not here still back in Ohio resting while I am here.Good riding and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome Doug!

I'm in Louisville, & am planning a ride out in your direction, hopefully this fall. I can't wait to ride the Bluegrass Parkway & then the Blueridge Parkway for the changing of the leaves, it should be breathtaking!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome

Dusty
Welcome to the forum. We are close by and I am seeing a growing number of NC Burgy owners. Might be fun to think of a rally of eastern NC folks some time. I have done a couple of trips - one long the other an overnight - and find the 650 quite road worthy. Being retired (part-time job now) I find it easier to take some time. I do ride my bike to work the couple of days a week I work. In just over a year I have been over 8,000 miles. Quite a difference in the gas bill between the bike and my Jeep Grand C. With the prices going up, up, up - I suspect we will be more and more thankful for the Burgs.
Enjoy, Canon :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi ya Doug. I currently own a Yamaha Majesty, but hope to upgrade to a Burgman 650 in the near future. I live in Durham now, but will be moving (temporarily) to Morrisville soon and then permanently to Cary in November (house sold faster than anticipated). I do quite a bit of traveling for my job so I'm in RDU very often. Which airline do you work for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is n annual photography workshop in the NC mountains north of Ashville. My one time there was in 2004, I had to skip this year. I have this developing plan to scoot over there next year! We'll see if my slowly developing confidence will let me take on a 2000 mile road trip. If I make it that far, maybe you could come up from the flatlands for a day...

It is really encouraging to me to see so many newbies and retreads on the list. A great mix of naive questions (like the list I have accumulated) and wise answers.

Stan

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Doug;

Welcome from another n00b!

-Rusty
Ogden, UT
AN650K5 (blue)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Small World...

I lived in Raleigh for 16 years before Migrating to the warmer climates back in 2001.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Burgie...

Joe

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Welcome Doug! :D
I was just in your fair area this spring (some Nortel training over at chapel hill - if I remember the name correctly). Does everyone out there think they are Nascar drivers? ;)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Dusty/Doug and welcome to the forum. That new ride is looking like an even better decision giving the current fluctation of gas prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts