Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all! My name is Josh, and I'm the proud owner of a 2008 Burgman 400 that I just bought not even 12 hours ago. :) I'm a relatively new motorcycle rider, so I'm learning general techniques on riding before taking her out any further than around the block. I've ridden small scooters, but this is the first 'big' bike I've ever ridden or owned. It's definitely a difference from the little China Bikes I was used to!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't know if you've taken a motorcycle safety course but it might be a good idea to take one now that you've got a lot more power under you. You'll love the 400, it'll do anything you want it to !

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Josh welcome to the best Burgman forum on the web. The motorcycle safety course is a good idea for anyone who hasn't taken one in the last ten years or so. Believe me the more you ride your "new" 400 the more you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You have chosen the best first "real" bike, IMHO. It does everything really, really well. I call it the "Swiss Army Bike" cause it just does it all, save off roading. Cruising, touring, shopping, etc. it all at your right hand's disposal.

The freeway will feel a little wierd at first, but you'll get use to it. It's a solid mount at Speed and will take you cross country if asked to do so.

Good luck, you're gonna love it. Take the MSF course. It'll make your transition easier. And Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :) The safety course is definitely on the agenda, as I'm used to the little 150cc Chinese Scooters, which in my state isn't really classed as a motorcycle. Right now, the only places I've ridden my Burgman have been to the parking lot across from my residence to practice and around the block, but that will change soon once I have enough experience under my helmet. I've actually got an experienced motorcycle rider coming over this weekend to teach me some basics, so I'm hoping I'll be ahead of the curve when I get to take a safety course. :)

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Josh smart move buying a Burgman 400. Welcome to the site. I hope you have a thankful Thanksgiving. If you rode your smaller scooter out on the road you got some good experience already. In addition to that if you have not yet viewed the 50 Ways To Save Your Life, take the time to view and maybe make a copy. They are very helpful getting started in a safe manner.
Chet

50 Ways To Save Your Life

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/20-safety-tips-ideas/16474-50-ways-save-your-life.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chet,
Thank you, and happy thanksgiving to you and yours! I actually had one of the little Chinese 150cc scooters with the clone Honda GY6 motor, and it ran well with regular maintenance. I only ran her through town though, as I never thought it would handle the highway with a reasonable degree of safety or confidence. For what she was though, she was still a fun little scooter that got me some road experience. Admittedly though, it's far different being on a bike that's way bigger, so I'm essentially having to learn from scratch. To me, that's a good thing as I want to be able to ride safely on my two-wheeled baby. :)

And thank you for the reading material! I've got a file folder on my laptop dedicated to stuff about motorcycle safety and technique, so this will be a welcome addition. :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Chet,
Admittedly though, it's far different being on a bike that's way bigger, so I'm essentially having to learn from scratch.
I went from a 50cc scoot to my Burg 400. I had test ridden some other scoots and motorcycles 125-250cc but they were short rides. It took me a week or two before I felt really confident on my Burg.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It took me a good 4-6 months of steady riding to feel totally comfortable on my 400. I still have the attitude that everyone in a car wants to kill me so I watch the other drivers extremely carefully. Ride your bike every chance you get and you'll get acclimated really quick!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Donald Sutherland, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Excellent avatar, OP. Welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dove right in today, as I decided to take the bike to work, which meant I had another first... My first night-time ride. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Donald Sutherland, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Excellent avatar, OP. Welcome.
Thankyew! It's actually one of my favorite movies, and it kinda suits me... :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had an '08 400. Loved it and you obviously are, too. Aloha!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I traded "down" from bigger bikes to my B400 (red, of course) and I love it. It's all I need.
Welcome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your post before - Congratulations, it's a great bike. I made the exact same transition last June and I've loving every minute - and you have a nice long riding season there (if you don't count rain every afternoon).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Burgman owner in the Magnolia State. We too have an 08 400 and we love it. My wife decided that she was tired of looking at the back of my neck and took the plunge and got her own ride.

The 400 is a great choice. Give me a shout if you venture this far north (Jxn). We ride to Hattiesburg from time to time. My BMW group is meeting 1/10/2015 in Biloxi and the wife will be on her 400. Ride over and join us. They have welcomed her and Bonnie. You have given your ride a nickname? :p They will welcome you as well. I will have to get back to you on time and location.

Pastor Tyler

1 - 17 of 17 Posts