Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/b]Good day, I'm Dan and I'm glad to join you. I'm a newbie in the world of Burgman and I'm undecided on which one I will purchase. Which one are you suggesting...AN 400 or AN 650?

Thanks!! :wink: :wink: :kermit:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome Dan!
First thing I would do is move!! I did a trip down to Montreal on my Burgman 650 this summer and, Man!, were the roads rough!!

I may be biased but I like the 650. Given Montreal's many expressway, the Metropolitan, Decarie, Ville Marie etc, I would like the size and power of the 650. I don't know how big you are or how much you weigh but I would definitely opt for a 650 over a 400 if I still lived in Montreal.

Either way they are both great bikes and you will enjoy which ever one you decide on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcom to the forum!

I have a 650 and love it! I tend to ride on the highway quite a bit and often ride two up so the 650 was an easy choice for me.

Tell us a little more about the kind of riding you plan on doing...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Dan and welcome to the forum :wave:

What do you need/want this bike to do? Commutting, touring or a combination, solo or 2 up? Give us a few more details.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My wife went to Montreal two years ago for a holiday and absolutely loved it.

The best thing for you to do is visit your local dealer and sit on both bikes. Get a demo ride if you can. Then find everything you can about both bikes on this website using "search".

This site is an absolute treasure trove of information on both Burgman's, you just have to look for it. :eek:

Reg

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
What do you need/want this bike to do? Commutting, touring or a combination, solo or 2 up? Give us a few more details.
Your leg length can also be a determining factor. Long legged folks sometimes need the 650. Short legged folks sometimes need the 400. If you are in between, and feel comfortable on either model, then projected use comes into play. Always over estimate what you are going to be doing with it though. These scooters are addictive to ride, and can handle long trips just as easily as in-town errands.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Dan

WELCOME to the forum. :hello2:

The key points in selecting one of these two great machines has been covered above. But there is much to pick up by reading the material already on the forum (settle down tho' there is much to read!) :wink:

Look forward to hearing more from you as you move forward to selection, then purchase and then the achievement of the GRIN factor!

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Dan. Glad to have you join us.

In choosing between the 650 and the 400, there are a lot of things to consider. A few of them are :

Type of riding – If you plan on long tours or riding mostly 2 up, the 650 may be a better choice. The 400 is a little more nimble in city traffic.
Your physical size – Shorter riders find the 400 easier to handle. If you are tall, you'll appreciate the extra room of the 650.
Cost of the machine – If price is a major consideration, the 400 is less expensive to purchase.
Maintenance – If you plan on doing your own maintenance, the 400s valves are easier to do. The 650s valves do not require checking as often.
Operating cost – The 400 does get better MPG than the 650.
Performance – The 650 has better takeoff and top speed.

In my opinion, either bike bike is a great choice. You have to decide which is best for you and your needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Well thank you all very much for the warm welcome..To pretty much answer what everybody ask is, I'm 5 foot 10 my weight is about 205 lbs, I will used this bike for long ride and city ride as well. I know for a fact that my wife will get the AN 400, but like most of you said, I will try both of them, before I decide which one will be best. For VFDcaptain, well from 1990 to 2002 I stayed in Victoria, in Saanichton to be precise. I was posted in Esquimalt..I'm a sailor by trade.

·
Registered
639 Posts
For VFDcaptain, well from 1990 to 2002 I stayed in Victoria, in Saanichton to be precise. I was posted in Esquimalt..I'm a sailor by trade.
Sorry to hear you had to leave. We also lived in Saanichton (by the Praire Inn) for 8 years, it was a great area to live in. Now we live behind the Royal Oak Shopping Center (closer to work).

Just recently in Calgary visiting family. Finally got to sit on both Burgman's and also a Yamaha Majesty at Blackfoot Motorsports. Fell in love with the 650 and will buy one in the Spring when 2005's become available. Also hope I can convince my wife to learn to ride a Burgy 400. Personally I think it would be nice for to have her own mount, although she says she likes riding on the back (yea - where she sleeps all the time). :roll:

Reg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts