Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I've been on motorcycles since I was 8 years old, and I got into scooters some time back. I've owned several different makes and models (Vespa, Piaggio, Yamaha, Honda) and I just purchased my new '05 Burgman 650 from a local dealer this week (who lucked up and managed to get his hands on one) and it now shares garage space with my '05 Piaggio X9.

I must say, it's hands down the finest riding bike I've ever owned. I have trouble actually referring to it as a scooter - it handles so much better than any motorcycle I've owned and rides so well that it seems to be in a class by itself. :D

I was getting ready to leave a local shopping center this morning, and as I was disengaging the parking brake, a gent on a Harley pulled up next to me and started to scope out the Burgman with a critical eye as I was fastening the straps on my helmet. I could tell he wanted to say something, so I tossed him a pleasant 'Good morning' to get the conversation going.

"Is that one of those scooter things?" he asked, as I pressed the starter and fired up the bike.

"Yep," I said, nodding my head as I picked up the expected sarcasm in his voice.

"Dude, you really oughta get yourself a real motorcycle," he chuckled, as I expected he would, as he revved the engine on his Harley Sportster a couple of times and popped the clutch.

I can't tell you how hard I was laughing, when he missed the shift and killed it, after lurching forward only a foot or two and nearly dropping his bike in the parking lot.

"Happy shifting and have a good day," I chuckled, grinning from ear to ear as I eased down on the throttle and rolled smoothly by him.

Just had to share what I thought was a hysterical story. I put about 70 miles on it today after that, and every one was a smooth as silk - and I don't think I ever missed a shift! Looking forward to many, many more!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dude, that's cold. Funny! But ice cold.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
It is happening.
It is happening.

Darn people.

They'll "get it" one of these daize.

me.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Great story Scott. Welcome to the forums. You are among many who believe you made the right choice in 2 wheel transportation. :thumbright:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats on the new Burgman. I passed through B-ham today on my way back from the mountains of TN. Highway 55 from Westover up to 25 and over into Leeds is a fantastic ride. I did it on the way up. There were a lot of other cyclists there, so I am asuming it is a local hot spot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What's even funnier is the Sportster is nothing special to Harley Davidson. If I'm not mistaken it is the entry point. He's the one that has to get a real ride :)

Mybug

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hi Scott...

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else from Birmingham area would find this site (or buy a Burgman). I'm down here in Columbiana. Got my Burg one month ago at Icon (and returned there today for my 600 mile service - nice ride - long service visit) in Trussville. Where did you pick yours up at? Maybe we can get together sometime and go riding.

Heard tell of a couple riders on my journey today from a lady in Chelsea... Seems someone she knows got killed somewhere on 25 in a bike to bike head on collision on Sunday. Have you heard anything about this? Just trying to find out if it's true or not. Didn't see anything in the paper but I wasn't looking for it.

As I'm sure you know, this area has a lot of roads that are fun to ride.

Later,
Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fello Alabamian way South Ft Rcker

Was looking for other alabama burgman riders happy to see your post. Have a burgy 650 and i too have the Harley funnies LOL many happy miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another rider in B'ham

Glad to here there are some other Burgman owners in the area
I have not seen another and thought I might be the lone wolf.

I bought a 400 K7 in November and ride every chance I can.
We should all meet up somewhere, (29 Dreams maybe ?)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Scott...great story and welcome to the BUSA Site. Heres to you and best wishes for many happy shiftless miles on the new Burg!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Scott! Welcome to the board! I am a relative newbie both to the board and to two-wheeling! I have Burgman 400 and your experienced remarks help reaffirm my decision to acquire my Burgie.

My family lives in Birmingham and I went to law school at Samford so I can visualize some of the great rides you and the other Birmingham-area posters have available for touring. I hope you continue to enjoy your Burgman!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
FYI: CadetStimpy sold his Burgman a pretty good time ago and may not even be visiting the board.

However, borntooloose... Maybe I missed your intro, if so I apologize.

I'm down in Columbiana. PM me and we can try to schedule a ride.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts