Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember having to change my route home from work because a particular stoplight wouldn't change from red to green. I'd sit there up to 12 minutes until I just decided to run the light. If there was a car from the oncoming side of the street that had to stop for the light then I was in luck but that usually wasn't the case.

I purhcased "Green Light Trigger" because I really liked that route as opposed to the one I was forced to take because of the stoplight that wouldn't change. Didn't think it was going to work but I decided to give it a shot anyway. IT WORKED!!!

What it is, is a magnet that you attach to the bottom of your bike. I put mine on the kick stand (side stand). When you approach one of the traffic signals that works by having an inductance loop detector to 'sense' a car (lots and lots of metal)... this particular magnet "fools" the coil into thinking there's a car there.

I'm very happy with it. If anyone else might be interested in trying this product, go to http://www.greenlightstuff.com and look for "Green Light Trigger". Its $14.95 if purchased alone, otherwise $9.95 with any order. Well worth it.

- Chuck

·
Registered
925 Posts
I actually have one of those on my little 50cc Vento. It really does work good!! Really suprised me. Got mine of a friend who wrecked his bike. Only set me back $5. Even at $15, I think it is well worth the price. 8)

·
Registered
368 Posts
just ordered, thanks for your comments !!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ordered mine and installed it today.

I hope it works as well as reported here. I'll post a review of my own in a few weeks.

Fred

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've found I don't seem to need one in our area. The bike seems to register as a large enough vehicle. But it's good to know there's a cheap resource. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have had a Green Light on the Burgman for months. Sometimes it works great, sometimes I wonder if it is still attached to the centerstand. I think its workability is based upon the age of the sensing loop in the road. Older technology loops don't work so well. Newer technology loops can pick up the magnet and turn the light green. For around $10 you can't go wrong. Came with one small tiewrap. I added a second much more substantial tiewrap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All you should have to do is get on top of the wire strips you(hopefully) can see on the pavement to trigger the light.

In California it's legal to go thru a red light safely when the light doesn't trigger for you when it should. I got a ticket for this & won it in court. Many cops are unaware of this vehicle code. :x

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy in norCal said:
In California it's legal to go thru a red light safely when the light doesn't trigger for you when it should. I got a ticket for this & won it in court. Many cops are unaware of this vehicle code.
Here in Tennessee we have the same law allowing you to ride thru a traffic light on a motorcycle if the light does not recognize you are there. The law does specifically state that you cannot use this law as an excuse to run a red light if it is functioning correctly. I'd be very careful about the amount of time I wait.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Randy in norCal said:
All you should have to do is get on top of the wire strips you(hopefully) can see on the pavement to trigger the light.

In California it's legal to go thru a red light safely when the light doesn't trigger for you when it should. I got a ticket for this & won it in court. Many cops are unaware of this vehicle code. :x
Is that true? Would you happen to have a link to that section of the legal code? Just curious...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
CINCNORAD said:
Is that true? Would you happen to have a link to that section of the legal code? Just curious...
In sheer bordom, I spent some time reading thru the 2004 California Vehicle Code and couldn't find any code relating to it. If it's there, I missed it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
billmeek said:
CINCNORAD said:
In sheer bordom, I spent some time reading thru the 2004 California Vehicle Code and couldn't find any code relating to it. If it's there, I missed it.
Yeah, I looked too and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
billmeek said:
CINCNORAD said:
When I worked for the P.D. Here in California, it was NEVER legal and still is not. You are required to report any such failure of a light to the City in question. Nice try though.... :p Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Randy in norCal said:
OK, for all you non-believers in Kalifornia, go to Veh. Code 21800(d)(1) :p :wink:
Sorry again: d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection
which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall
stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is
safe to do so. This subparagraph shall apply to traffic control
signals that become inoperative because of battery failure.

REMEMBER, this applies ONLY if it is NO op due to battery failure. If it works for cars & trucks but not just YOU bike or vehicle, it is YOUR responsibility to notify the city. The CAN cite you, TRUST me. If you're lucky and the officer is understanding, you may be ok, but the law does allow for citation.... :p

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
And how is a motorist supposed to determine if the light is inoperative due to a battery failure?????? Silly law, if you ask me. And as far as reporting the failure - fine, but I can't believe that any sane person is simply going to sit at that no-op light waiting for someone to come along and fix it.

Bottom line - I don't care what the "code" states in whatever state. If a light won't change - I will proceed through it with caution after waiting a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry for the minor rant - and I'm not directing it at Pappy.

I read a delightful fictional series last Winter that takes place in Montana. The "old" Montana, prior to being over-run by wealthy flatlanders. The author loved to say at least once in each novel - "A Montanian will obey any law that he thinks is a good one." I love it!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy in norCal said:
OK, for all you non-believers in Kalifornia, go to Veh. Code 21800(d)(1)
California vehicle code 21800(d)(1) said:
The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. This subparagraph shall apply to traffic control signals that become inoperative because of battery failure.
I saw this when looking thru the code. To me (not being a lawyer) the wording is for traffic signals that are out of order (ie - no lights at all). Note the last sentence. I wouldn't risk the ticket based on how the judge might interpret this section.

Tennessee code specifically mentions "inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle".

Tennessee vehicle code 55-8-110(8)(b) said:
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle.
Even with this code, you still have to be careful that you have given enough time for the lights to change and they are truely inoperative.

If a judge has already thrown out a ticket because of the California code above, I'd request a copy of that decision for future reference.

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
And how is a motorist supposed to determine if the light is inoperative due to a battery failure?????? Silly law, if you ask me. And as far as reporting the failure - fine, but I can't believe that any sane person is simply going to sit at that no-op light waiting for someone to come along and fix it.

Bottom line - I don't care what the "code" states in whatever state. If a light won't change - I will proceed through it with caution after waiting a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry for the minor rant - and I'm not directing it at Pappy.

I read a delightful fictional series last Winter that takes place in Montana. The "old" Montana, prior to being over-run by wealthy flatlanders. The author loved to say at least once in each novel - "A Montanian will obey any law that he thinks is a good one." I love it!
He he.... I SHARE your thoughts on this one. I ALWAYS blow through if light fails and if I ever do get popped, will deal with it at the time I suppose. Montana huh> Born in Great Falls, buried my Dad in Helena. My whole family on my Dad's side hails from there. Had a HELL of a time with the last name of Cartwright with the ranches during BONANZA.... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I got my ticket about a year ago in Sacramento(CHP coming thru intersection from other direction) the CHP told me I could have turned right & done a u turn & then turned right to proceed the same way thru the intersection. I told him, "just because I'm on a MC & the light doesn't acknowledge me I should have to take evasive action?" He started to look thru his code book & couldn't find a reference to this Veh. Code & I couldn't remember it, but I told him there was 1(read in MCN prior). Anyway I found it & printed it for court. I told the CHP officer he should talk to CHP MC riders to see if they knew what I was talking about. The CHP never showed up in court so I had my case dismissed. BUT, others b4 me have won their case w/this code. :wink:

When I'm in court for driving offenses the judges always go out of their way to have it proven that I(or anyone else) are really guilty of their offense. IF their is probable belief that the ticketed driver has done nothing illegal, the charges are dropped.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Randy in norCal said:
When I got my ticket about a year ago in Sacramento(CHP coming thru intersection from other direction) the CHP told me I could have turned right & done a u turn & then turned right to proceed the same way thru the intersection. I told him, "just because I'm on a MC & the light doesn't acknowledge me I should have to take evasive action?" He started to look thru his code book & couldn't find a reference to this Veh. Code & I couldn't remember it, but I told him there was 1(read in MCN prior). Anyway I found it & printed it for court. I told the CHP officer he should talk to CHP MC riders to see if they knew what I was talking about. The CHP never showed up in court so I had my case dismissed. BUT, others b4 me have won their case w/this code. :wink:

When I'm in court for driving offenses the judges always go out of their way to have it proven that I(or anyone else) are really guilty of their offense. IF their is probable belief that the ticketed driver has done nothing illegal, the charges are dropped.
Sadly, there are a LOT of P.D.'s here in California who don't RIDE bikes and are plain ignorent of the way to stay alive. Reminds me og Barney Fiffe yelling "CITIZENS ARREST,CITIZENS ARREST... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts