1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Never thought much about it, excellent video.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Thanks for posting that, good video!!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
it is a very good piece, as much as for what it does not say as what it does.

What it does highlight is how ineffective high viz gear is in avoiding a SMIDSY.

Just to relay a personal vignette on High viz kit. I stopped off at a supermarket and I was fully togged sans helmet, with a jacket that was 95% high viz. I was standing in line at the checkout and a middle aged woman just walked straight into me and nearly knocked me off my feet. She was very apologetic said sorry I did not see you to which my response was 'and exactly what do I have to wear then to help this situation' It got some great laughs from everyone even the woman herself.

But apart from the humour of it all. High Viz is useless - if people do not look they cannot see.

If you wear High Viz and think you are safer then you are actually deluding yourself and in the process increasing your risk.

So, wear High Viz by all means ( it looks good) but do not think for one nano second that everyone can see you 100% of the time.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
NormanB said:
What it does highlight is how ineffective high viz gear is in avoiding a SMIDSY.....High Viz is useless
Interesting train of thought-
I once saw a vehicle that was fitted with brakes have a nasty crash.......... brakes are useless, probably even dangerous, we should definately all take them off our bikes immediately :lol:

The waggle-dance is a handy trick, my old advanced instructor taught it
Not sure this guys camouflage idea is going to be seen on any "escape and evasion" courses any time soon though :color:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
NormanB said:
What it does highlight is how ineffective high viz gear is in avoiding a SMIDSY.
Actually what occurred to me was the color (colour) of high viz he was wearing tended to blend in with the English countryside rather than standing out against it like a high viz orange might.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
NormanB said:
it is a very good piece, as much as for what it does not say as what it does.

Just to relay a personal vignette on High viz kit. I stopped off at a supermarket and I was fully togged sans helmet, with a jacket that was 95% high viz. I was standing in line at the checkout and a middle aged woman just walked straight into me and nearly knocked me off my feet. She was very apologetic said sorry I did not see you to which my response was 'and exactly what do I have to wear then to help this situation' It got some great laughs from everyone even the woman herself.

But apart from the humour of it all. High Viz is useless - if people do not look they cannot see.

If you wear High Viz and think you are safer then you are actually deluding yourself and in the process increasing your risk.

So, wear High Viz by all means ( it looks good) but do not think for one nano second that everyone can see you 100% of the time.

Whilst I agree that if people aren't going to look they'll never be able to see you, that doesn't mean Hi-Viz gear is not helpful. Where it comes into play is getting people to recognize a bright flash in their peripherals, and get them to refocus on it, as opposed to dark colors at the peripherals just blending into the background, and being ignored.

Anyone who purely relies on this, or believes that they will be seen (note, anyone "can" be seen all the time, regardless of what they are wearing. Whether they "will" be seen, depends on whether someone is looking, and what they are looking with) all the time is most likely destined to learn the error of their ways, the hard way. But using it as another weapon in the safety-armoury to augment the others, is a good thing.

It may not be a cure-all, but by no means is it ineffective.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I liked the bikers revenge, with the tank lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts