Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - what a great site.
I am a 51 year old Granny from Hamilton, Ontario. Not quite a little old lady - though I'm only 5'4" and 129 pounds dry weight. However, don't think feeble - I pedal bike 12 miles back and forth to work every day, and have been known to rollerblade 20 miles just for fun :lol: I also weight train. Still, having said that, I wonder how I'll do when I have to push my motorcycle around.
I just bought a 2005 Burgman 400S - haven't even got it out of the showroom yet - still arranging for insurance. This is my first scooter/motorcycle experience (other than as a passenger) and I have to admit I'm nervous. I signed up for a motorcycle safety course, but couldn't finish it because I had the flu - got through the first morning of actual training, then had to go home before I passed out - yikes. But they are letting me go again in two weeks - the next opening available. So my shiny red scooter is going to be a decoration in my garage until then, although I might go out to a local parking lot with an experienced biker friend on an early weekend morning.
I bought the "S" model because of the colour, I actually kind of liked the silver one better - but from being a cyclist, I know how important it is to be seen and she is an attention getter - and being a redhead myself, I know it gets you noticed.
Reading the posts here has already been incredibly educational - I'm really looking forward to being a participant - nice to see some fellow Ontario burgmeisters :wink:

PattiP - still a rider in waiting

·
Registered
78 Posts
PattiP,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on purchasing yourself a 400S. No doubt you will really enjoy it.

I, like yourself, am a new rider and bought myself a silver 400 a couple of months ago but used it very little as I was waiting to complete the motorcycle safety course which I did last weekend. Excellent course --- I learned lots and feel much more confident riding my Burgman now.

Here in Saskatchewan it is much cheaper (I found out) to license a 400 than a 650. It cost me $242 (and I have an excellent driving record) to get a license through Sask. Government Insurance for the year while they charge over $900 per year for the 650. The license comes with a $700 deductible and $200,000 liability. I paid another $139 for insurance which lowered the deductible to $100 for the best comprehensive/collision or upset coverage and increased the liability to $1,000,000.

I agree this is a great site. I don't think I ever would have taken the plunge and bought myself a bike without reading and learning from this site. I totally enjoy my 400 and am sure you will too.

Works.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
PattiP,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA! Good luck with the rider training this time around. I think you will get along just fine with that 400S! About the only "pushing" I do with my 650 is to paddle it backward out of the garage or a parking place.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome, PattiP!

I was in your shoes (boy were they tight on my size 10 feet! :D ) a couple of months ago - I had bought an AN400K3 back in February, and decided that it would stay in the garage until I had taken the MSF course, which I did the first weekend in April. But, I couldn't wait: I rode my scoot to the last day of the class and had a ball!

Since then I've put about 600 miles on it, commuting 15 miles each way to work and back when it's not raining or wet. Now that summer is here it'll get a lot of miles on it!

As for being a granny: not a problem - you're younger than me!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Patti from the Big City just up the road. Welcome to the forum and congrats on that 400 S. Were definetely going to have to arange for a meet and ride. Hope you don't mind hanging around younger men.......well not much younger anyways. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums PattiP. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 400S. I think it's a great move taking the training before hitting the busy streets with your new bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Welcome to the GREAT Burgman world.

No, granny has not gone off her rocker, just enjoying life.

Just remember when you go to the MSF class just to relax and have fun. The skill you will practice there will be the skills you take home and practice , practice and more pratice on your Burgman.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the welcome

Tomorrow night my Burgman comes home - the insurance is set, the course is booked and I'm really looking forward to getting going. I'm browsing the posts, old and new and finding answers to some questions I've had. I'm making my list - and hope to pick the experienced riders' brains in the not too distant future. I promise to be gentle :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Thanks to all for the welcome

PattiP said:
I promise to be gentle :lol:
...only till the 600 mile service. :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Glad you are taking the Basic Rider Course. I've been riding for several years and just completed it this past Sunday. Great experience and confidence builder.

As for crazy? Nope...I am the proud holder of THAT title here! I think you should enjoy your life and not care what anyone else thinks.

My mom traded in her station wagon years ago and has had a string of sports cars since and she is older than you are. I on the other hand am 40 with 2 small kids and a "family" car. The Burgman is my 2 wheeled Corvette. :D

Dee

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome from another Granny and rider-in-training

I really enjoy this site, too, and welcome! I've been a rider on back--two-up--for the eight years or so we've owned our 1985 Honda Elite 250. I love it, but I started getting curious about how it would be to ride solo! Something about being an empty-nester has made me more adventurous, I guess. So we bought a great new Burgie 400 in blue for my husband to ride and voila! an old Honda just sitting there waiting to be ridden. So my husband has been teaching me about safe riding and how not to wobble and how to balance the bike between my rather short legs. Then I learned I have to get a learner's permit and pass a written test so I can be legal on the California streets. Ooops. Kind of put the horse before the cart there. The air force base has a great motorcycle safety course, but first I have to get my permit.

Oh, yeah, unfortunately, I tend to be a little vain, so I wore a little and who-knows-how-old half helmet with sunglasses. I find it's windier riding two up on the Burgman because the "back" seat is a little higher. The wind whipped around my glasses and buffeted my eyes and whistled in my ears. My face was nearly always red after riding for a half hour or longer. This is going to sound silly, but bear with me. I thought I'd feel dumb wearing a big helmet and I'd have a bad case of helmet hair. Silly, right? My husband and friends have been really encouraging, uh, really pushing me, to get a full helmet. All right, all ready. I bought one and yes, now I have helmet hair sometimes, but the comfort level went up tremendously. I don't feel ridiculous or silly at all, just comfortable and above all, safer.

As for being a granny and new rider...isn't it GREAT?! I took the name of Granny when our granddaughter was born, and we have lots of fun together. Can't wait to take the little tyke camping and to lots of adventures, but she's only 16 months old, so our adventures are small yet. I'm mid-forties, 5'2" and 120 lbs, love to hike and ride a bike and can manage to do two sets of 15 each "guy" pushups. I was, and still am, concerned about keeping control over what seems a rather large scooter. I think getting my own Burgie 400 would be wonderful, but I think I'll stick with the smaller, older one for now. It's already beat-up. Good luck learning to ride yours. Ride safe!

Another granny....

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Hey PattiP,
I have a sister-in-law who is a 51 year old grand mother. Her name is also PattiP, I thought for a moment, then read more, she lives in Massachusetts. She goes to Aruba every year and she is always telling me about her scooter rentals. Any way welcome to the Burgman Forum. I think you are going to enjoy it and congraduations on your new red ride.
Happy Trails,
Poppy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi PattiP, from a Patty with a "y"

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new Type S. I bought mine at the end of last March, wrecked it right away and had to wait two months to get it put back together again. I'm trying to make up for lost time, though.

Did you ask whether you could do your safety course on the Burgman? Maybe it's only in WA state, but my husband and I both asked, and were able to do the safety course on our scooters. I had a Yamaha Vino 125 back then, but he had a Majesty 400. We had to show proof of full insurance coverage, but we thought it made sense to do the course on what we'd be riding. You might want to call and find out before you go, unless you really want to learn to ride a motorcycle, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Off your rocker...isn't it fun?
I am getting pretty close to 48. I am 5'2 and the same weight as you. I also bicycled alot. 100 mile rides and all that. I always wanted a motorcycle, but got talked out of it. I decided this year that I wasn't getting any younger and it was getting to the now or never time.
I looked at several cruiser cycles, mostly because of seat height.
i saw the 650 Burgman and didn't look further. I love my Burgey. It is a big girl, but so far so good. I have gotten used to "hoisting" her around. When I park her at home, I go through a gate to the back patio and do a 180 degree turn in about a 15 x 15 foot area. You just learn.
I did drop her the first week (forgot to put the kick stand down..duh) and with the proper technique, lifted her right up.
So all in all, I would say your age or size is not a factor.
Have some fun and good for you !!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
PattiP,

WELCOME!!!! It is so great that you found the site. Glad to see that you are getting everything in order to enjoy a wonderful time with the Burgman. I live just outside of Buffalo and ride a 2004 650 silver burgman. I will be 53 this summer and a new grandma in the fall also have red hair. :lol: You are right about learnig soo much from the site. It has ben been very help to me.

Enjoy!
Marci

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Patty (with a y)

I did read your post about your accident - how wonderful you weren't seriously hurt and good to hear you are able to get back out. I would love to be able to take a scooter specific course - but where I am you have to dance with who brung ya :roll: - which means using the course provided motorcycles for my M1 exit test. If I wanted to test with the Ministry of Transportation instead of through the course, I could ride the Burgman. A scooter is acceptable, as long as it will go highway speeds. I checked the with Ministry - but the course payment includes the M1 exit test, so unless I don't pass the test and need to re-test, it will be on a motorcycle.

My baby is home, and I've been getting acquainted in a very non-threatening kind of way - lol. Just learning its balance, rolling, pulling, pushing and duck walking it around for the most part. I'm a very patient, methodical person and have actually enjoyed getting to know the feel of my machine. But I did luck out in that there was a cancellation and I can get in a week earlier for the training.

Again - it is soon nice to be a part of this site - such great, supportive people - although I've been time-wise challenged the past week, I've been peaking in and continuing my research/learning process.

Ride safe - hope to read good experience posts from you in the future.
PattiP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, PattiP! I am having some very good experiences on my Burgie now. I'm even starting to enjoy leaning in turns again. :wink:

Like I said to ReneG, I might have could have done the MSF course on a motorcycle, but then I'd probably be tempted to try out a few, and I really have all I need with my Burgie.

I just read Hunter S. Thompson's "Song of the Sausage Creature," and boy, does he make fast riding sound fun. Nope, nope, nope. Don't want to go there...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts