Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a GPS handheld unit, mainly for use on the Burgman - but also for the steel cage. Although new to GPS units, I have read several reviews and have a few questions from any current users:

1) I assume you need to purchase and/or download additional mapping software in order to have point to point route details?

2) Is 24mb of internal memory really adequate for detailed regional maps or should I consider a unit with an external memory slot (ie: up to 128mb sd card)?

3) Are there any new technologies or units coming onto the market soon ... should I wait to purchase a new generation GPS unit?

Thanks for any and all input.

-Greg

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I own the Garmin etrex Legend and it only has 8mb of memory. That is enough for me to download all of Ontario. The map detail is great. I did have to purchase the Canada map software. I use it in my car as well as on my Burgman. The only problem with the handhelds is the screen size is rather small. There still readable though. They work best if you already have your destination programmed into them. However if you need to search for a service station, restauraunt or any other point of interest, I advise you pull over and do the search. Then lock in your search and continue on your way.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just recently bought the street pilot 3 system it comes with a 128mb data card and the mapping software to load onto your computer. just to give you an idea of memory space i uploaded all of the state of florida and the southern parts of georgia and alabama to the data card and it used up about 71mb of the 128 available. i felt this gps was the best bang for the buck as it cost me $600 over the net and its in color so its easier to see and read plus it has every feature you could possibly want for navigation without hitting the four digit figure price. i just got the r-a-m mounting system from cyclegadgets.com along with the sun shield so i can see the screen easily during the day. Im getting ready to mount it today. ill update when its done.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just got a the StreetPilot 2610. The reason I got the 2610 is it's a touch screen and when I mount it on the 650 I will be able to get a ear plug to hear what is said.

·
Registered
308 Posts
burg650 said:
I just got a the StreetPilot 2610. The reason I got the 2610 is it's a touch screen and when I mount it on the 650 I will be able to get a ear plug to hear what is said.
yikes, thats bery 'spensive lucy !!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok friday night the gps installation was done...by the way you can use an ear plug on the street pilot III also. i purchased from cyclegadgets the r-a-m mounting system and also the sun visor with an extra lighter adapter so i can use the origional in the truck. with the r-a-m system i got the ram standart mont, 3 inch arm, and the ram compact mont. the standard mont goes on the clip on the gps unit and then connects to the the arm that connects to the compact mount. i took off the right side brake fluid resivoir drilled two offset angled holes in it to line up with the compact mount. used 2 machine screws pushed through the mount then the top cover, and then put a plastic waser, metal flat washer and nut under the cover and tightened. there is a plastic insert that holds down the rubber gromet inside the resivoir, i had to cut out 2 nothes in the plastic to allow room for the nuts, however if left like that it will leak brake fluid so i had to get creative here... i had some sticky tack laying around so i pulled a couple pieces of it and basically mushed it inder the metal cover forming it over the bolt and nut to build it up to the level that the plastic insert would be at. then i put in the plastic insert, then the top cover, and put the origional screws back in the origional holes and tightened it all up. and the gps with a little playing around with the mounting angle fit ontop of the brake resivoir pretty well. now the fun part.....wiring the power adapter. since we all know if u plug anything into the power plug in the glove box the lid wont close there was no way i was gonna use it. i went to pep boys and bought a double socket adapter with an on/off toggle switch on it. it had the lighter plug on it so i just cut it off for hardwiring. i took off the handle bar covers,and the plastic top under that to reveal the forks and top of the glove box. the top of the glove box actually comes apart with 2 screws and just clips on. on the right side of the glove box i took off the top, drilled a small hole in it to run the double socket adapter wire through. i ran that wire down under the bike and back up by where the tool pouch and battery is, installed an inline fuse and connected it to the battery so i would have constant power to the socket. now i had to drill another hole in that same top glove box cover for the gps power adapter cord ran that up the handle bars and plugged it into the gps and zip-tied the wire to the base of the r-a-m ball on the brake resivoir. the double power adapter i bought from pep boys stick to the roof of the glove box via velcro. i plugged the gps adapter into one socket and my cell charger into the other. 4 hours later i put everything back together and then murphy's law hits...the gps still says running off the AA batteries :evil: come to find out for some odd reason the gps power adapter i bought extra only comes with a half amp fuse in it, and the moment i turned on the gps the fuse blew. so after fumbling around for 15 minutes i found a 7 amp fuse and stuck that in :? before you all question me...if there is a dead short in the line a 7 amp fuse will blow before any fire occurs and the gps will automatically go to the internal AA batteries, so im not over rating the fuse by much. the origonal adapter has a 1.5 amp fuse that works fine...when i get around to it i may change it out but this will work for now. i just wonder why it only came with a half amp fuse, and this adapter was made for this gps. :? after two days of riding with it im starting to like it a lot, it kinda gets in the way a little with my right side mirror vision but i adjusted the mirror to compensate. it also wont let me turn the bar completely left but its fine for driving...its only when u have to turn all the way left like when your walking the bike turning it as you back up, but its still manageable plus the gps can be removed or adjusted in less than 10 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts