Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to show how my Garmin NUVI 765T is installed in my '11 Burgman 400 ABS. It was pretty easy fishing the wiring harness for the 12V / 5V USB outlet with no removal of the plastics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
I would urge caution here. It really is not difficult to remove the Tupperware and by doing so you can ensure you have a good, clean and robust installation and that you are not going suffer from damaged cables anytime soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I tested by turning the handlebars to both end-points and don't see any movement at all on the wires. I also provided slack on both the battery end and the outlet end. Hopefully, it works fine in the long run.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
as long as it doesn't prevent you from seeing the dashboard...

I've got a similar setup using a ram mount that goes in right below the Burgman Logo in the middle of the handlebar and I sneak the USB wire out of the front compartment through the lower part of it, that allows you to close the lid just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Fernando. It doesn't obstruct view a single bit. That's the good thing about the RAM mounts. The balls and the arms make them very adaptable and a lot of different configurations can be done to it to suit your needs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, for those who do not want to spend the $800 for a Garmin Zumo and still want a bluetooth headset compatible GPS unit, the NUVI 765T is BT Headset compatible.

Bought one brand new from ebay for $100, headset from ebay for $50 (some chinese brand but very loud and clear), RAM mount $50, coiled usb connector from Amazon $7, 12V and USB 5V power port from Amazon $16. Total Setup Cost= $223.00

Now, to make the GPS waterproof - 1 sandwich bag and rubber band = $$$Priceless$$$

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
A used iPhone 4 is $100 and a simple mount is $30

Then you have a huge choice of GPS and Nav apps. including the unique TomTom Winding Roads which is brilliant..and off line with voice and of course the iPhone is Bluetooth.

There are many apps and more coming every week plus I have email and phone and music from the iPhone.

Hard to convince me a dedicated GPS is worth the money these days.

I've done 10's of thousands of KM with this rig - rain or shine ( baggy if it's really bad ) - night or day.

The main apps are the MotionX set
http://gps.motionx.com
Motion X GPS is a full blown GPS with loadable mapping

and the MotionX Drive which requires network access.
http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/

and TomTom.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tomtom-u.s.-canada/id326075661?mt=8

TomTom is single purchase for North America offline maps and they regularly update. The Winding Roads feature is just fabulous...such lovely surprises it finds.

With Googlemaps if I'm online as a good "what's nearby".

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
strongmaterials Total setup cost = $223.00 and no service charges, total after one year = $223.00.
MacDoc What is the total cost for the iPhone setup with all needed apps and service after one year?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not sure what you mean by service. You don't require a data or phone plan to use as an GPS so it's immaterial. You can use the iPhone to retrieve Mail - update apps etc where ever there is a wireless hotspot.
I don't use a wireless plan in the US - I get along fine without it. I do in Canada as I have a plan already for the phone.

iPhone 4s are about $100 used
TuneBelt is $15
LIfeTime TomTom is $50 one time fee with regular map updates that free.
$165.

Staying offline ...the other App - MotionX GPS is $1.99 one time fee. You upload maps to it including conversions from Googlemaps.

Easy to read day or night and you can choose your colours.

I love the way the map shows complex exits etc. the app mimics the signs I'm seeing

and Winding Roads is worth it's weight in gold

there is nothing else like it unless you buy the very expensive TomTom GPS.

Other apps are optional.
MotionX Drive is .99 and one year of Voice Nav is $10. but of course then you need a data plan.

which gives you access to much more within the app.

Most people have a smart phone these days.
New apps come out every day.

MotionX GPS is $1.99 and requires no cell service.

Excellent for off the grid

by Medguy
So I use this app for all my hiking needs thus far in California. I was able to traverse the Desolation Wilderness with only my cell phone and a solar charger for my navigation needs (honestly I should have had a normal compass as backup). Being able to download maps ahead of time is CRUCIAL when you are with spotty cell service. The issue with battery life is likely due to the phone rather than the app itself- if Verizon allowed GPS usage independent of cell service I'm sure my phone wouldn't have wasted so much battery power in a futile effort to acquire a non-existent cell tower. When cell service was available it was nice to be able to email loved ones where I was. I don't really bother using the tracking because of the battery issues.

...More
Great ����☔

by DudemanLA
Thanks��☀����
One cool thing about this app is your can tap the button to center your location and tap it again so it orients the map correctly when you walk just like if your driving a car.
Then you have the nice advantage of music - the app voice mutes the music while she whispers directions in your ear, and in my case, phone calls in and out and email on the fly.
The Burgman has a 12 volt socket and easy to plug the iPhone in and it's always charged.
Slip it out of the case and into my shirt pocket...

Thousands of miles of touring and around town - rain and shine...and of course the Apps move forward to a newer phone.
But the 4 and 4s are cheap and work very well.

The standalone GPS is all but dead. Sales are plummetting.

Android user?? sorry you are SOL on MotionX and the Winding Roads feature of TomTom

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I was not asking as a put down and I hope it didn't come across as one. I've never had a smartphone so I'm ignorant to the way they work. I was under the impression that you needed a service plan to install apps and use them. I'm almost still in the twentieth century. I still use an antenna for my TV, I do have a basic cell phone with a 250 minute talk only plan that cost me $24 a month and I have $20 internet plan for my home computer. I have a Garmin NÜvi 500 that I bought at a marine supply store that was closing and had it marked down to $150. I figured $150 was a good deal for a waterproof gps that at the time listed for $589. The NÜvi doesn't have bluetooth or a port for earphones or headset and I really can't hear it when riding my scooter. I have a Cardo Scala Rider that has bluetooth and was thinking if I could get by cheap it would be handy to hear a gps. I don't use the gps often as getting lost can add some new roads to the ride. But if I could get by with only spending $165 or so, and have the ability to hear the gps and add music, now that's something worth thinking about. Thank you for the information and education.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@model28a - check your cardo scala if it supports the GPS that you intend to use. Not sure about all the techie terminology but I think it has something like A2DP or AVRCP. Those knowledgeable about bluetooth protocols please chime in.

I have a cardo scala team set that I can not use unless I have either a Garmin Zumo or Tomtom Rider 2 or newer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The Garmin Zumos are the only units that broadcast directions via Bluetooth. Their automotive units have Bluetooth, but it's only for hands free phone calls, not directions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Liamjs - I have a Garmin NUVI 765T which broadcasts BT to my headset. It should work with a SENA SMH5 or SMH10 also. 2 of my friends have them. The 765T are now discontinued but you can still find them on eBay. I even got mine brand new and for a very good price. I will try to take some pictures of the menu that shows that it connects to headsets and post it later.

Only set back I see is that it's not waterproof but you can always get the RAM Aquabox or use a plastic sandwich bag which is what i use.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I was not asking as a put down and I hope it didn't come across as one. I've never had a smartphone so I'm ignorant to the way they work.
did not take that way at all.

I was under the impression that you needed a service plan to install apps and use them. I'm almost still in the twentieth century
you are not alone - many think you need to be connected to a service navigate or to install apps.

To install apps you need any internet connection...home or McDonald's etc.

There are two types of NAv apps. Offline and online.
MotionXDriver requires cell service
MotionXGPS does not
TomTom does not
and there are many many other Nav apps that do not.....many of them free.

I still use an antenna for my TV, I do have a basic cell phone with a 250 minute talk only plan that cost me $24 a month and I have $20 internet plan for my home computer.
You are fine then to use an unlocked cheap iPhone.

I have a Garmin NÜvi 500 that I bought at a marine supply store that was closing and had it marked down to $150. I figured $150 was a good deal for a waterproof gps that at the time listed for $589. The NÜvi doesn't have bluetooth or a port for earphones or headset and I really can't hear it when riding my scooter.
Only a good deal if it's useful to you...it's not bad for a backup but really the whole standalone GPS is a dead end.

I have a Cardo Scala Rider that has bluetooth and was thinking if I could get by cheap it would be handy to hear a gps.
It is very much handy - many times I navigate with the phone in my pocket...I use both a Scala and earphones but Scala via BT will work as well.

I don't use the gps often as getting lost can add some new roads to the ride.
Me too, love going where the wind blows me and nothing prevents that - the Winding Roads tho will pick those interesting routes while still moving you towards your destination....and when you make a turn to see something of interest it will simply carry on from there.

But if I could get by with only spending $165 or so, and have the ability to hear the gps and add music, now that's something worth thinking about. Thank you for the information and education.
My pleasure - the whole Nav on Smartphones is moving forward in .leaps and bounds and I tell for value for money - spending $50 on the TomTom app to get

a) a decent GPS with voice without needing to be in phone service range

b) a completely unique Winding Roads feature is priceless.

I can't stress how much WR improves the pleasure of riding.

Sometimes I won't even see that there is a road - it'll be between two houses - non-descript and it unfolds into this lovely jaunt through the countryside you'd never be able to map without local knowledge.
And it will keep you off gravel most of the time ( makes errors on occasion but rare ).

Now you do have to live in an area or drive to an area that has a lot of paved roads hither and yon.

I started looking for an inexpensive solution a couple years ago...and it's still inexpensive and has given me countless hours of pleasurable riding and most important low stress....I know I'm always generally heading to where I want to be.

I have had some fractious discussions with old school GPS riders on other forums trying to tell them they are a victim of habit.
The one guy that ran the Baja navigating with an iPhone sort of shut them up a bit.

Battery power for an iPhone is not an issue with the Burgman as it stays plugged in and that's a huge feature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Strange this should all pop up at this time for I too have discovered the Nuvi 765T in the last few months.
I was looking for something which will talk to my UClear headset, manage my phone, play MP3s, announce directions, do live traffic updates all on bluetooth and I wanted it on the cheap. (I do not want much do I? ;-)

I already had a RAM Aquabox and the 765T fits right in.

I must say, I have been very happy with the 765T. It plays my tunes, announces callers on my phone and supports voice-dial on my phone, gives me alternate routes when traffic is at a standstill and has the best route finder I have ever seen built into a GPS. It will also tie into Mapquest for those scenic journeys. The live picture routes of complicated highway exchanges is fantastic. (Did I mention I am cheap? I have learned almost all modern GPS or GPS app. has adopted this stuff but, this is the first one I have had one in my hot little hands.)

It uses A2DP Bluetooth technology so, as long as your headset and/or phone supports A2DP, it should work with the 765T. All for $82.56 used, in the original box and with the GTM-20 Live Traffic adapter shipped on E-Bay.

Kim

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Now there's a deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts