Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried it yet but what do you guys think? Instead of using a baggie over your GPS on rainy days try Saran Wrap. It should cling to the GPS, is very transparent, and is completely waterproof. If it works as well as I hope it does I might leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I carry 4 or 5 sandwich sized Ziplock bags that take up almost no room in my dash bag.
They fit my larger Nuvi GPS perfectly.
When it quits raining, it comes off.

I have used the Ziplock baggy method for the last 7 years covering 93,000 miles and riding through all 48 contiguous states and 1/2 of Canada with great results

Saran Wrap could blow off and if it needed replaced would require you carry around a roll of it.

If it isn't broke, I'm not fixing it.

·
I'm Retired
9,365 Posts
I covered the speaker opening with black duct tape. (Duct tape is your friend! :) It has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together...or at least my Burgman.)

I also use a "sun" shade I made from a plastic notebook cover and attached with Velcro. It not only protects the front from sun, but also from rain.

I wouldn't just use that in a heavy downpour, but in a light rain, it has worked well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just keep my gps in the car..and so far - has never gotten - wet.....ever!!

·
Registered
21 Posts

I bought one of these on eBay for my Garmin 3790TM but after riding for about 20 minutes it got really hot - I think the Garmin needs ventilation. Maybe if you were to run just off the battery it would be OK but plugged in and charging didn't work for me. Also when working it was hard to see in sunlight. I removed it.

In order to install and use I had to remove the handle bar cover.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought one of these on eBay for my Garmin 3790TM but after riding for about 20 minutes it got really hot - I think the Garmin needs ventilation. Maybe if you were to run just off the battery it would be OK but plugged in and charging didn't work for me. Also when working it was hard to see in sunlight. I removed it.

In order to install and use I had to remove the handle bar cover.
Looks like a good idea for rain protection but they advertise it as water resistant, not waterproof. I guess the zipper could leak. The problem I have with this product is how do you mount it. I sent an Email to the manufacture asking them if they ever thought of mating a ball to the back to mate with the RAM mounting system. They never answered my Email.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gps

I also carry some sandwich bags that are large enough to cover the TomTom I use, but so are the only rain i have been is was light, and since I use my unit vacuum attached to the windshield it did not get wet. I think if it was raining hard I would just remove it to storage.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The problem I have with this product is how do you mount it. I sent an Email to the manufacture asking them if they ever thought of mating a ball to the back to mate with the RAM mounting system. They never answered my Email.
Well here is your answer .;)
It comes as standard with a ball socket on the back which fits either ram mounts or standard Garmin windscreen mount brackets.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure the ball is the same size as the RAM ball? Is it substantially built or cheap plastic.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mounting a Garmin GPS

How do you have the Garmin mounted?
I mounted it to the top of the front brake hydraulic reservoir with a RAM mount.
It works great mounted there except it is not protected from rain.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Stretch an unlubricated condom over it and call it a day. LOL.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Seems to me that if it rains one should merely put the GPS in a case and stick it in one of your glove boxes. My GPS is pretty much an entertainment since I usually always know where I'm going. And if it rains while I'm out I look at that as a good opportunity to stop for a cuppa coffee.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GPS's

How do you have the garmin mounted?
Funny you should call a GPS a Garmin. I remember when I was a kid my father used to call the refrigerator a "Frigidaire". I guess that was because it was the first home refrigerator. In modern times how often do you say please make me a Xerox copy! BTW: They are almost out of business.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Rain protection for GPS? Whats that? My 8 year old Maggie (Magellan) has never worn protection and has never let me down even in monsoons. Rain or shine it just keeps going and going and going.......;)
Are the newer GPS's not water resistant or drip proof? They all used to be and if not they should be because you never know when you might spill your coffee on it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts