Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Garmin NUVI 1490 LMT GPS on my 650 for about two years. It worked fine and was very happy with it. The screen gradually started to fade out in bright daylight. I thought I would upgrade to a Garmin newer model. Garmin allowed me a $100 trade-in. I picked a new model 2597. What a disappoint.
The new model with many new features set at maximum brightness is so faded out that it can not be used in broad daylight. If you stare at it for about 5 seconds it will give you data. But by then you could crash.

I told them my friends who ride with me don't have that problem. I'm at a loss to know what to do. I might try to find an out of production rebuilt Zumo motorcycle GPS. Hopefully the Zumo GPS are brighter.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I personally like the older Garmin units. They have a matte screen that is quite brite, are glove friendly and have a route function that is better than the newer models.

You can pick up a used 1450LTM model for less than $70 on amazon and they have a larger 5" screen. At that price, I keep a spare unit. Ram mounts work well. I also hard wired mine and its quite easy.

The Zumo units are essentially the same thing internally, but five times more expensive.

If Bluetooth instructions are essential, Zumo is the only one that will relay them, however. The car units only relay phone calls.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have the Zumo 350 and it can be seen under any conditions, rugged, water & shock proof . I've used under extreme conditions of rain/dust/etc and it's performed well.

It's expensive, yes, but worth it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a Sena Bluetooth head set coupled with a sena wireless sender. Sends gps ,phone and ipod to helmet. also lets me use a cheap auto gps as long as the gps has a headphones out jack. Garmin does not make with headphone out but Magellan does.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 665 and it is easily the worst thing I have added to my bike.. It froze and had to be returned when it was still under warranty.. I had to pay $14 to return it.. Rather than send me a new unit formy new unit.. they sent me a reconditioned unit.. so I got that going and iot turns off spontaneously.. I talked to Garmin service and they told ne to try a master reset.. I did that and it still happens.. so now I have to spend another $14 to return that one for one that supposedly works.. really awful product.. very poor quality.. I think having to pay the freight to return it is the most aggravating thing.. plus when you spend $800 for a new unit and they send you a reconditioned unit ($550 or so).. and then that doesn't work.. the hairs on the back of my neck stand up..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Noth if you buy a new car, truck, scooter, refrigerator, well anything really they repair it they don't replace it with a new one. So basically it would be the same as reconditioned. I don't see why a GPS would be any different. About the only way I would think you could get a new one would be if you took it back where you bought it from for a refund within their time limit for refunds. Then you could buy another new one. But when you send it back to the manufacturer it's normal for them to repair it or replace it with a reconditioned one. If they repair yours it is then a reconditioned one anyhow. I know this is not what you want to hear, and it sucks but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I know that.. you state the very obvious.. My point is that the Garmin for $800 is a complete piece of garbage and Garmin has arrogance toward their customers.. to ask me to pay every time I send it back is awful.. and my comparison for cost between my new one and the reconditioned one is fair.. I had a new one, about 4 months old of the 12 month warranty.. the reconditioned one was "OK".. but I suspect it was returned because of the spontaneous power off.. I am so weary of fooling with it.. Anyone that hs an issue with information for others about the Garmin failures has their own probllems.. this is a forum for info.. that's what this is..

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you don't want to spend too much for a zumo, try putting a hood above the GPS unit. It should work unlesss it still gets hit directly by sunlight.

·
Registered
739 Posts
THat won't help it suddenly turning off

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Noth I appreciate the information and I apologize if I offended you. I guess I hit a nerve and I can understand where this would be sore subject for you. I agree with you %100 that customer service has gone to #ell. I think when computers came out customer service went downhill. Before computers if you had a problem it was taken care of. Now they tell you that you didn't handle it properly or it's a software problem and it's not covered under warranty. Again I apologize I should have given some thought to your feelings before posting. Now I'm going to go try to get this foot out of my mouth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts