Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in your opinion is the best choice for a cheap (in case it's stolen or drowns in a rain storm) Garmin GPS. I understand the older models had a brighter screen then they do now.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
1450 is a real nice and cheap model. It's the last model that had the matte screen, but it still has routes, albiet it takes a little knowledge to work them.

It has a touch screen that doesn't need special gloves, its tough and all the basics you need. I keep two with me when I ride, just in case. A life time map unit can be had for $60 used on amazon.

Mounts well with the following on either bike and a permanent power wire is easy to install. Let me know if you need help with any of this. Been using them to lead rides for years.

To mount Garmin:
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts (RAM-B-346U) Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Cover Base with 1" Ball Offset: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM DBL SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH Body Other Bases BLK- RAM-B-201U-A: Car Electronics
To permanently wire Garmin:
Amazon.com: EDO Tech® Ultra Compact Direct USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for Garmin GPS Nuvi StreetPilot, Great for Vehicle and Bike (no traffic receiver): GPS & Navigation

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have the zumo 350 although not cheap, I bought 2nd hand. it has taken a lot of abuse and down pours no problem at all.

Keep in mind these units are long lasting so I'd say buy an used one and will last for years and the ROI will be well worth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your concern is stolen or rain, then used is the way to go. You can get used GPS's on ebay for about $50, and that's with lifetime maps. There are much more pricey motorcycle-specific GPS's out there, but in a pinch a Ziploc baggie will keep your GPS dry should rain be threatening.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here’s another option: I already owned an old Garmin Nuvi 770 that I used in the car, and I really didn’t want to invest in another GPS dedicated to just my bike. The Nuvi is not great on a bike because it’s designed for automotive use and the screen is not really bright enough for outdoor use in bright sunshine. But it serves its purpose.

However, I also didn’t want to ruin it in the rain, since it’s not designed for outdoor use, so I got a Rammount Aquabox.

To be honest, it’s a bit of a pain in the butt to use because it’s even harder to see the Nuvi behind the plastic screen. On the other hand, it has prevented me from having to buy a waterproof GPS dedicated for riding.

·
Registered
345 Posts
On my last 4000 mile trip, I used a car Garmin Nuvi LM GPS, and although it worked fine, the plug in the back of it started to lose connection due to the vibration. I'm currently looking for a motorcycle specific GPS where the connector in the back is positive locking, and won't fail due to vibration.

·
Premium Member
14,255 Posts
I'm partial to the NUVI 750 mainly because it still has an MP3 player on it that I can use to provide my tunes while I ride. They are out of production but you can still find them on Ebay.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What in your opinion is the best choice for a cheap (in case it's stolen or drowns in a rain storm) Garmin GPS. I understand the older models had a brighter screen then they do now.
I'm considering a replacement GPS for my 650. Can someone tell me if the Zumo models are easier to see in bright daylight. If I wear a bright yellow tee shirt (summertime wear) it reflects back to my GPS and the screen goes blank. I have a flexible sun shield but at times you still can't read the screen regardless what I'm wearing.

What's the best deal on a used Zumo that has the socket for a wire to the helmet. Miss not using sound for directions. I can't hear the speaker with ear plugs and helmet with my existing GPS.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have an "automobile" GPS on my bike. It gets rained on all the time. I don't bother to put it in a bag or anything - and it's just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 680. This model is one that people love or hate so here are some specifics: It has 4.3" screen, Bluetooth, SD slot, USB port, 3.5mm Audio out, no lag navigation, uses the Garmin apps, its file system and SD card are accessible from your computer via USB, it can store/play music, and show photos. It can't use a separate video feed. I have had it for years and have now dedicated it for use with the Burgman. There is a RAM Mount cradle available for it as well as replacement batteries. The 680's are currently available for $50-60. The map updates for it from Garmin are ~$45/once or ~$80/lifetime (with discount you get from Garmin when you register it). Of course, an iPhone will do GPS and has a lot more capabilities than the Nuvi, but for me, I just prefer using a dedicated GPS device while riding and I like this Nuvi for that. See attached photo for how the Nuvi is mounted. I have wired the power for it through the instrument cluster console and velcro'd a $10 GPS hood to the front of it.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts