Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount my Garmin 450 GPS on the bike but I need a power source for the two raw wires. I'm thinking that the best place to find a connection would be under the dashboard. Any suggestions as to where to connect the leads?

Thanks,
Jack

2012 Burgman 650 Executive

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take your handlebar cover off left side , remove the plastic covers over the yoke so ur looking at the triple tree. Bolt on frame for ground wire .use a voltmeter to determine a hot wire going up to left hand switch use tab to connect or just tap into cig lighter feed lines...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reading various posts here on similar questions most responses advise splicing into the wiring on the rear of the cigarette/accessory plug. It's what I did and it works fine for my applications (mainly running a universal charging wire to plug in one of my several HTC smartphones that also have GPS capability where I use GarminXT, Mapking et al.
on the pre-2013 it was a simple case of removing the handlebar shrouds then simply removing the storage compartment assembly (quite simple to do). This provides great unhindered access. Have no idea how this might play out on the 2013 650 though.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
I would suggest that instead of grounding back to the frame you splice your ground into one of the black with white stripe wires. While you can sometimes get a dependable ground through the frame Suzuki did not set it up to be a ground. They ground components through a dedicated ground circuit in the wiring harness. Those are the black with white stripe wires you will find going to just about every electrical component. Some folks have experienced intermittent problems using the frame as a ground. Your might never have a problem using the frame for a ground but you might also end up with an intermittent problem that drives you crazy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most if not all GPS,s run on 5 volts so don't tap into a 12 volt line and go directly to the GPS, they quite working I had one do that. You best bet is to get a stubby USB adapter plug it into the power sccket and route the wire up to your GPD.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I took and spare GPS cord cut the power plug end off figured out which two wires I needed to power the GPS drilled a small hole to get the wire down to the outlet then spliced the wires back together worked like a charm for me and no hole are visible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts