Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Burgman ;

I just ordered from Garmin a cradle to hold my Nuvi 255W GPS , and a reservoir mount with a 1" ball from Motorcycle Larry.
I already have the arm and ball connection pieces .

I am sort of stuck about what to do for a power cable.
The cable i use in the car will connect to my Y plug adapter that goes on my battery tender , but then the cable will be flapping around under my feet and since it is always powered I will need to unplug the system at stops. Not optimal :(
Any ideas on a way to route the power cable ??,
remembering it has to come off so I can use the GPS in the car also.

I tried to figure a way to plug that cable in to the 12v outlet in the glove box, but the male section is too long and I cannot close the glove box door.

I looked at the Garmin website to see if they offered another type of power cable but they do not.

Optimally I would prefer to hard wire the GPS in to the ignition switch so it turns off when the motor is not running , but am not clear on how to do this.

Thanks for ideas, Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
I pulled the handlebar covers off and the top dash box. Then you can get to the backside of the power outlet. I wired in a socket, plugged it in there, taped it all so it didn't rattle, and rounted it up the bars under the cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
Me use all aluminum RAM-B-346U reservoir mount + Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable for supply power for 5 inch Garmin 1450 GPS, Gilsson power cable work excellent for 3 year. Have RAM-B-346U install top of both brake reservoir, left side have 5 inch Ram arm for hold cradle for 1450, Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable connect to back 12 volt power socket, run under handle bar plastic to left side Ram mount, right side Ram mount have nothing install, but there for future use if need.

RAM mount come with 1 inch ball direct from Ram.

GPS power switch on/off when start/stop burgie.


http://radioworld.ca/346u-p-4806.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wir ... cable.html


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
DandyDoug said:
2012 Burgman ;



I am sort of stuck about what to do for a power cable.

I tried to figure a way to plug that cable in to the 12v outlet in the glove box, but the male section is too long and I cannot close the glove box door.

Optimally I would prefer to hard wire the GPS in to the ignition switch so it turns off when the motor is not running , but am not clear on how to do this.

Thanks for ideas, Doug

Nothing be easier for get power from back 12 volt outlet, not need remove unplug wires, use Posi-Tap, best thing in world.
for tap for power. Many BUSA member use POSI product.

Posi-Tap not cut, break, damage wire, it put small puncture in wire that supply power, Posi-Tap always reusable, me recycle Posi product for other use later.

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWYWuNbpog

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wir ... cable.html
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,516 Posts
If you are going to have to be able to use the same cable on the scooter & in the car,
the best bet is one of those 2 to 1 adapters that have short wires, so there will be
some flexibility in the glovebox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
This is what I did: branched wires off of power outlet in lower box since it is hot only when the engine is running, wired in a new power outlet and glued it to the plastic under the handle bars (8 screws to remove and it is not necessary to remove handle bar cover) and plugged in the Garmin. This requires that you take the tupperware off that is part of the upper glove boxes...again, only 8 easy-to-get-to screws.

Power outlet in lower box is almost worthless since the door cannot be closed with anything plugged into it. I mounted my Garmin 50LM right above the dash using a great holding vacumn attachment and ran the wire into the dash via one of the closest vents and then to the new power outlet. If you don't want to see the wire at all that can also be done if you wish...just a bit more trouble.

Buy a second wire...they cost relatively nothing compared to what you already have spent on the scoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chérie said:
DandyDoug said:
2012 Burgman ;



I am sort of stuck about what to do for a power cable.

I tried to figure a way to plug that cable in to the 12v outlet in the glove box, but the male section is too long and I cannot close the glove box door.

Optimally I would prefer to hard wire the GPS in to the ignition switch so it turns off when the motor is not running , but am not clear on how to do this.

Thanks for ideas, Doug

Nothing be easier for get power from back 12 volt outlet, not need remove unplug wires, use Posi-Tap, best thing in world.
for tap for power. Many BUSA member use POSI product.

Posi-Tap not cut, break, damage wire, it put small puncture in wire that supply power, Posi-Tap always reusable, me recycle Posi product for other use later.

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWYWuNbpog

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wir ... cable.html
.
I am familiar with the Posi-lock connectors and have used them in the past.
The link to the gilson-bare-wire-power-cable does not list a cable that is compatible with my Garmin Nuvi 255W .

I will keep searching for one that is.
Thanks, Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
momule said:
This is what I did: branched wires off of power outlet in lower box since it is hot only when the engine is running, wired in a new power outlet and glued it to the plastic under the handle bars (8 screws to remove and it is not necessary to remove handle bar cover) and plugged in the Garmin. This requires that you take the tupperware off that is part of the upper glove boxes...again, only 8 easy-to-get-to screws.

Power outlet in lower box is almost worthless since the door cannot be closed with anything plugged into it. I mounted my Garmin 50LM right above the dash using a great holding vacumn attachment and ran the wire into the dash via one of the closest vents and then to the new power outlet. If you don't want to see the wire at all that can also be done if you wish...just a bit more trouble.

Buy a second wire...they cost relatively nothing compared to what you already have spent on the scoot.
to clarify;
are you leaving the Garmin power cable connected all the time to the added outlet and the Garmin unit itself ?

Thanks, Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
Me read some model GPS problematic with how you say I think '' hard wire '', easy solution maybe is use outlet like photo connect to back of OEM outlet + standard GPS plug cable. Because of rain me not want vertical plug but prefer horizontal model that come with install bracket, water not get in that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Be aware. The GPS is 5VDC while the back of the cigarette lighter is 12VDC. If you hard wire directly to the back of the cigarette lighter socket you will blow out the GPS. You must use the cigarette lighter end or some other way to reduce the 12V to 5V.

I installed the power cable under the handle bar covers with tie wraps, ran the cable down to the wall of the center glove box and drilled a hole back there big enough to fit the small right angle plug which goes into the GPS. I fed the cable through from the glove box side. You can find at Walmart a double plug/adapter to fit in the existing socket to power up the GPS that is small enough to clear the glove box door when closed. If you leave enough power cable at the GPS end you can tuck it under the handlebar cover when not using the GPS to protect it from the weather.

When done go buy yourself another power cable for your car. That's how I wired mine and it works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Fit another socket wired in parallel to the original accessory socket. I put mine near the ignition switch as shown,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Obtain a weatherproof (hint: "marine") 12V socket and install it on the plastic on the dash or under seat there. It will work fine and provide you with a 12v power outlet. Or just run a set of wires down the handlebar covers down via the hump to the battery. Be creative.


DandyDoug said:
2012 Burgman ;

I just ordered from Garmin a cradle to hold my Nuvi 255W GPS , and a reservoir mount with a 1" ball from Motorcycle Larry.
I already have the arm and ball connection pieces .

I am sort of stuck about what to do for a power cable.
The cable i use in the car will connect to my Y plug adapter that goes on my battery tender , but then the cable will be flapping around under my feet and since it is always powered I will need to unplug the system at stops. Not optimal :(
Any ideas on a way to route the power cable ??,
remembering it has to come off so I can use the GPS in the car also.

I tried to figure a way to plug that cable in to the 12v outlet in the glove box, but the male section is too long and I cannot close the glove box door.

I looked at the Garmin website to see if they offered another type of power cable but they do not.

Optimally I would prefer to hard wire the GPS in to the ignition switch so it turns off when the motor is not running , but am not clear on how to do this.

Thanks for ideas, Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at the Powerlet web site , they have several options available designed for motorcycle use.
After I get the GPS mounted i will decide .

Thanks for all the input :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By jinky's I think I've got it :thumbup:

Got a call today from a Burgman rider in my area ( he reads the forum , but does not post, thanks DAVE !) he told me about an adapter to solve my GPS cable dilema

He directed me to a Camping World store , where I purchased a " RAMBLE 12v Dual Outlet Adapter" ( about $10.00)

The male end plugs in to the Burgman 12v outlet and has two female plugs forming a Y on a 6" cable.

Plug it in to the Burgman outlet, tuck one female connector up inside the glove box, close the door and the 2nd female adapter sits right there , easy peasy.
Plug in your GPS cable , do a little dance folding up the excess cable and Bob's your uncle it works a treat :thumbup:

Now all I need is for the Ram Mount folks to deliver the proper cradle for my GPS (it's on the way),
and Motorcycle Larry to ship me the 1" ball they left out of my order :(
Bolt it all together and i am ready :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,516 Posts
DandyDoug said:
The male end plugs in to the Burgman 12v outlet and has two female plugs forming a Y on a 6" cable.
Exactly what I was trying to suggest earlier...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Duster said:
DandyDoug said:
The male end plugs in to the Burgman 12v outlet and has two female plugs forming a Y on a 6" cable.
Exactly what I was trying to suggest earlier...
It is , but i am bit thick sometimes and needed to actually see it to understand it .
Thank you for the tip.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,516 Posts
Now you know why I'll never be a professional writer...
I have a hard time using words to create a mental picture... :?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top