Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that a few people do not trust the MCL brake cover with RAM ball mount for their GPS device. In looking around the forum, I saw a pic that appeared to be one of the U-bolt ball mounts attached to the bottom of the mirror stem. Just wondering if anyone knows the diameter of the stem? I found a U-bolt mount online that will accomodate sizes as small as 1/2" but am not near the bike right now to measure it for myself. TIA!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Word of caution, be careful with mounting stuff to the mirrors. The mount itself that the stalk screws into isn't the strongest thing in the world, the one on my 400 is splitting from having slight weight put on it. Not saying it will happen, just stating my experience.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I have read that a few people do not trust the MCL brake cover with RAM ball mount for their GPS device.<<

Interesting... I use one of these and it's as solid as the proverbial rock.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info guys! I was all set to order one of the MCL mounts but then started reading some stuff about too much weight on the res cover? I too would presume it would be more solid, though, than the mirror stalk. Think I will go with the MCL - seems lots of folks have had good experience with them. Plus, if I end up changing out my mirrors, the new ones might not be adequate for a U-bolt with the ball attachment anyway.

Thanks for helping me stop second-guessing myself about this!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Good info guys! I was all set to order one of the MCL mounts but then started reading some stuff about too much weight on the res cover? I too would presume it would be more solid, though, than the mirror stalk. Think I will go with the MCL - seems lots of folks have had good experience with them. Plus, if I end up changing out my mirrors, the new ones might not be adequate for a U-bolt with the ball attachment anyway.

Thanks for helping me stop second-guessing myself about this!
The RAM mount on either brake reservoir is as solid as a rock..!! I have had mine on now for 4years. Never a problem.. The mirror stalk.. ?? NO WAY!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just bought a RAM Mount (brake cover) and holder for my TomTom Start45TM

I only rode 2 days with it - but it is all very solid.

I will add photo's later today

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!!!! Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is one:

More Photo's in My Garage

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
>>I have read that a few people do not trust the MCL brake cover with RAM ball mount for their GPS device.<<

Interesting... I use one of these and it's as solid as the proverbial rock.
I use one as well with no problems, I fail to see how anyone could have a problem unless they failed to tighten the fittings.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just order my MCL mount and ball combo last night. Now, just have to figure out the best holder for my Samsung Galaxy phone. Seems like there are 2 options - an Aqua Box which is water tight (I have read that this feature can allow the phone to overheat with no air circulation) and a Universal X-grip holder which a few folks on different websites indicated allowed their Iphones to slip out from bike vibration. The last thing I want to do is lose my phone on a ride!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Either way you go with the holder, tether the device itself somehow too, don't rely on 1 holding point to secure your expensive device. If its in a box like an aqua box, tethering the box itself would be fine, but any kind of 'gribber', have that extra security and somehow tether the device itself with a 'just incase' string.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any tips on the best way to tether the electronic device? Just ordered an X-grip mount for my Galaxy and they said it is stable for the most part, but there is a possibility of "slippage."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts