Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPOD which I no longer use. The battery doesn't last long. Question... Using the MotionX app, and plugging the ipod into the 12V with a USB adapter, will I have a usable GPS? I plan to Velcro the ipod to the center garnish of the handlebars with some really strong Velcro. The ipod is very light and I don't want to install a RAM type mount

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no build-in GPS on the Ipod so it won't work.

I have an iPOD which I no longer use. The battery doesn't last long. Question... Using the MotionX app, and plugging the ipod into the 12V with a USB adapter, will I have a usable GPS? I plan to Velcro the ipod to the center garnish of the handlebars with some really strong Velcro. The ipod is very light and I don't want to install a RAM type mount

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more specific. It is an "ipod touch" and I believe it has the same capabilities as the iphone with the exception of not being a phone. With MotionX I can stand in my driveway and receive satellites and get a route loaded with voice guidance. I don't know if the USB adapter can keep the ipod charged. Also, routing the wire to the 12V accessory could be a problem. If I can make this work I will invest in some Bluetooth earplugs.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I don't think the iPod touch has a GPS chip as well. Maybe the latest version, but not the first few Generations. You maybe just getting your wifi signal in your driveway. A USB charger should keep it charged though.

But let us know if it works.

Update.... I looked at the iPod feature list, I don't see any GPS chip available on any model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Liamjs, you are probably right... I'll try it again when I'm out of reach of wifi. I may have to steal mom's iphone 4, but then again, I've got a shoebox of paper maps... You can see why I made my subject, "GPS Novice".

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all the smart folks for the help. You are correct; my ipod touch was only working with wifi. I will pursue the project by obtaining an old iphone 3. With the chance of it being damaged or stolen, I don't want to use my good phone for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts