Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Planning a GPS mount for my '14 Burgman 650.

Just curious how folks are positioning theirs... I'm guessing:
* power from the glove box
* ball mount on the right reservoir
* RAM mount extension arm angled inward toward the center (to clear the windscreen during a turn)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

- Don

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Mine is hardwired and mounted on the left reservoir. Gps turns on when the bike is turned on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've no name brand US$1.50 device holder that I disassemble then mount to the top of the dash on a number of my rides, Burgy650's included. Works well for me, as I prefer line of site, plus there's the weather protection aspect too.

Now I found a device with various configurations made for the newer 650's (L3's+). I plan on buying one to fit to my L4 back in NZ. Since I'm located here in China, I'll be able to try this on my K7 and see if it fits. Looks good in the photos. I power from the accessory plug in the glove box, then route the cable out the back of the glove box then up under the handle bars then up to the device holder. Leave cable in place. Not into RAM mounts, as they mean installing device in places more exposed to the weather and prying eyes.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.219.2Rdy7f&id=37939658216

Oh and one might need to enable/install Asian fonts or perhaps use Goog.le Chrome, for the content to display correctly.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Dondec , I think all you suggest except , as Kelly said , left reservoir, if you put it on he right it will be a long way fom your non-throttle hand.

I just ran my usb cable out the glovebox, notched the box in the corner , the garmin cable was way too fat, but it meant I lost traffic and power on was slow as it thought it was connected to a computer but this was on a 2011 not sure if he glovebox is different on a 2014

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
(1) Drill 4 holes in your sat-nav mount and fix it on the left brake-reservoir with 2 cable-ties. (2) Remove the bike top cover, solder the 'fat' plug end of the original satnav psu to the accessory socket + and - via a 2A in-line fuse in the + line, and feed the sat-nav end up through the handlebar cover. (note the black psu cable-tied to the frame, with the curly cord going up to the brake reservoir and everything suitably insulated.)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a hot wired cable (from the aux power feed in the glove box) to a Garmin mount. I have the mount permanently set up in the middle of the handle bars.. The tupperware in the middle of the bars had tobe cut out so the cradle could be attached and wires run. I love the position. GPS turns on when in the cradle and bike is turned on. I despise the GPS however.. it's really bad.. (Garmin Zumo 665).. endless issues.. way way too expensive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just use the standard Garmin suction mount to the center of the windshield close to the dash, I have a clearview and just make sure the mounting surface is clean of all dust and residue before applying the suction mount, it sticks good if you wet both surfaces first. I've used it for about 80 miles one day, worked great along with a Garmin 40LM with power from the glove box socket with short usb adapter I got on EBAY.
Later, Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Owing many GPS's over the years it has gotten to the point that I don't care if I get lost or not, so I follow others and let them take the blame if our route is somewhat not as planned. But for the Burgman, the Ram Reservoir Mount is probable the easiest to deal with, my GPS's all have battery backup so I seldom use the 12v accessory cord, just recharge at night. Plus I don't screw with my GPS wile riding, so being able to mess with it is not important to me.

John

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I went the really cheap route to mount my Garmin GPS. I took the little round plastic plate that came with it and stuck to the dash next to ignition switch. The suction cup mount that came with the GPS would not stick to the dash but it would to that plate.

For power I use the hot wire to the battery that powers my Chatterbox communicator. It has RCA jacks on it so I just cut the lighter style plug off the cable that came with the Garmin and soldered a RCA jack to it. A splitter on the power wire allows me to plug both the Chatterbox and the Garmin up at the same time.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For power I just cut the lighter style plug off the cable that came with the Garmin and soldered a RCA jack to it. A splitter on the power wire allows me to plug both the Chatterbox and the Garmin up at the same time.
My garmin psu 12v-5v converter is built into the cig-lighter plug. If yours is the same, and i've read you correctly, you are putting a straight 12v into your satnav. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! (I hope I am wrong). :confused:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My garmin psu 12v-5v converter is built into the cig-lighter plug. If yours is the same, and i've read you correctly, you are putting a straight 12v into your satnav. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! (I hope I am wrong). :confused:
My Garmin NUVI 750 has the circuitry to step 12 volts down to 5 volts built into the cradle that the GPS snaps into on the mount. The cig-lighter power cord that came with it provided straight 12 volts to the cradle. That is the one I cut up attach the RCA jack.

If I were to power the GPS from the mini USB plug on the GPS itself I would have to supply it with 5 volts.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I made my own bracket as I didn't want to drill my Tupperware.

It sits high in my line of sight thus I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look at it.
It is super stable and easy to get on / off.

There is a day on my burg man center if interested.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I use my phone as a GPS, and have it mounted to the center of my handlebars using velcro straps looped around the back panel of the cover. This setup involves attaching the phone to the straps with velcro on the phone, but you can route the straps over the base plate of the GPS mount if you prefer.
See this post for details (sorry about the poor images, but they should get the point across). The third image shows the Velcro One-Wrap straps threaded around the back panel of the handlebar cover.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/17-aft...g-samsung-galaxy-note-3-nav-3.html#post747353

I really like LeDude's over-the-dashboard mount, but I'm not sure it'd work in my application because I need to be able to reach the phone while riding (mostly the volume button, but sometimes to switch between the GPS app and the internet radio app).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts