Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Just bought a Magellan Gold from Walmart. Love it and I can confirm that the speedometer IS off by 5 mph.
Can anyone out there help me with the best way to install this toy.
I used double stick velcro on the handlebars but I am not comfortable with it and I need a more permanent solution.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I used velcro and put it between handle bars, I cut out a piece of wetsuit rubber , velcro tthat to plastic then velcro gps to rubber, will not move and takes out shock. Use a little heat on velcro when you stick it to plastic and rub it down hard with your fingers, just heat to warm it. Have to be careful when you remove gps not to pull velcro off plastic, but will not come off in normal use of driving. Wayne

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys.

So far so good, but I really worry that going over railroad tracks will shake it off.

Alan

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Bossman said:
...Just bought a Magellan Gold from Walmart. Love it and I can confirm that the speedometer IS off by 5 mph.
At all speeds?

My 650 appears to be off by 5MPH at around 50 indicated, but off by only 2 at 20, and off by a whopping 10+ at 112. In other words, off by 10%.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
like DonRich90 said go to Radio Shack the plastic Velcro they sell is used to hold flaring lowers on my BMW
among other things, and should hold your GPS easy 8)

·
Registered
80 Posts
We have had lots and lots of problems trying to get velcro to stick to the handlebar covers. :?: I finaly gave up and used small screws through the velcro. Seems to be something about the plastic or something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input. I will be stopping by the dealer on my way home today, maybe they have something that will work. I checked out the ARM system and while this appears to be what I want ... I have no idea which model I need?!?

The velcro I am using now does appear to be strong enough to hold the GPS but when I got to work today and went to remove it, the velcro pulled off of the handlebars! (Bill I hear you!)

Can any one give me the exact model of what you are using and how you installed it?

Alan

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bossman said:
Thanks for all of the input. I will be stopping by the dealer on my way home today, maybe they have something that will work. I checked out the ARM system and while this appears to be what I want ... I have no idea which model I need?!?

snipped
Alan
Alan

If it is not too late consult this website and the 'mount gallery'.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/default.htm

May I advise - do not rush in, - you need to research thoroughly otherwise you may well end up with $40s' worth of useless components. Buying is the easy bit!

I am not familiar with the Magellan range - but this may be the sort of thing you are looking for:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html#gr315h

NormanB[/url]

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use a Magellan SportTrak Color. I like that it is handheld like a cell phone.

The carrying case of the SportTrak has a round "knob" on the back also like alot of the cell phone belt holders. I attached a dash mount holder to the center of the steering wheel (from Radio Shack), and the Sport Trak fits right there.

So far, even with the Chicago bumps, it stays right there in the center of the wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts