Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure a good placement for a GPS on my 2006 Burgman AN400. I have used GPS for sometime in my car and didn't want to purchase additional items. But, I was listening to a Tech Show that recommended the use of a GPS Universal. I went to Amazon and found the item they had discussed as it is called- DUAL UNIVERSAL GPS RECEIVER. Model XGPS150A. This item cost $99 on Amazon as has a rubber base mount included which the GPS unit fits inside of. In addition, it has an armband included,too. What this device does is act as GPS receiver and via Bluetooth will activate iPods,etc that have Bluetooth capability. Several nice things: 1. It is Lithium Rechargeable and is expected to hold a charge for 8 hours. 2. Can be worn on your arm leaving just the small iPod or similar device for the windshield area 3. It allowed me to avoid purchasing another GPS unit. In the Apple app store, there are many GPS programs and speedometers which are good for checking your actual speed. Several mapping programs are of course the one from Apple that is free, Mapquest which is also free but the one that I like is GPS Nav2. The Dual unit provides a couple of free apps also which are good. The maps appear to be very good so far and are accurate down to the dirt road level and of course allow you to set waypoints,etc.,etc. The GPS Nav2 program I think is $2.99 or $3.99 and has some functions for speedtraps, as well as category searches such as for food, gas, hotels,etc. If you have an iPod or the like and don't want to buy a GPS this might be of interest. It is a world-wide product that can be used anywhere on or off your Burgman. I suppose the Dual Receiver can be used with other Smartphone that uses Android but I don't have Android so don't know. Cheers.....

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but for the price, it seems rather convoluted.

A GPS sytem can be had for under $100 these days ( a five minute search found several from $75 up) , and it's just plug & play.

Fitment & waterproofing issues are the same whether it's an I-pod, I-phone, or car GPS system being mounted to the bike.

Seems like a wash to me, but if this system works for you, go for it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I didn't know that as I had an iPod and preferred not to buy anything further but I am interested in mounting systems for a GPS to the Burgman. I also am open to a good inexpensive GPS as the iPod is very small and hard to see. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use a Tom-Tom, with a Kuryaken case/mount on my 400s.........which is just a barclamp, with a ball fitting on the end, which the case clips onto.............
.......But with the different bar covers on the regular 400, I don't know if it could work without severely cutting the plastic. Likewise with my 650E.

I'm currently looking at a simple mounting method for the Exec, and if I get a cheap and simple solution I'll let you know.

I can post a pic of my set-up on the 400, if you think it'd be any help.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Older and current iPhones are very effective and not a one trick pony like a GPS

The Burgman can easily carry it in the right glove box without any mounting hardware and have full voice nav for .99¢

http://drive.motionx.com/overview/

Far and away the best and what's lovely it integrates iTunes with the VoiceNav and it will work fine on the iPod Touch.

Guided me from PA at midnight through construction without a hiccup back to tomorrow

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Here's a few pics to illustrate the set-up I have on my 400.

The mount

The full Monty.

An attempt to show how the mount is mounted... :?

And a view from the riding position.

I hope this is helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts