Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its a short story long. This was on my first Silver 2003 Burgman 650,

Back story. In Jan 1994 I retired from US Army and VA said I needed a new trade so they sent me to Tech school where I got two AS degrees in 2 years and 2 quarters. It was Automotive and Welding technologies. I was working as a dealer tech doing oil changes, brakes and electrical. I was a ASE tech. In Sep 1997 I then got hired with GTE phone company doing what I was trained for in the ARMY.
In 2004 I started a fight with the VA about my GI bill and in late 2005 was awarded 1 more year of College. So I decided that I'd go to Laramie WY to check out Wyotech Automotive school. In 2006 I had a new to me 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650 with 1,200 miles. GIVI screen and a small top box.

I loaded up for a 7 day ride with a tent and all stuff needed for camping 5 out of 7 days. Total weight of the Burgman, my camp gear and my butt sitting was about 1,100 pounds. The Burgman did not care, I could climb the mountain pass fine at 65+ MPH. My average speed was 80 MPH across the Washington desert, Idaho and Montana. I stayed the night in Billings MT, 820 miles on Day 1. At the camp ground there were 15 or so bikes and we all chatted. I slept 6 hours and at 6AM I had the bike tanked up and my belly was full of Biskets and gravey, 3 eggs and 1 pound of Bacon.

o_O
I was just outside of Casper WY when at a gas station some of the guys at the camp ground showed up. We talked some more and they were going past Laramie so the asked for me to tag along. The group was 2 Honda F4 600cc bikes two up, a Yamaha 650 SECA, a Honda GL1800 and me. This is where things got hairy. These guys wanted to do between 85 MPH and 100 MPH and I had no problem keeping up.
We were doing about 85MPH when on a little side rode I seen a Cop car and it was coming out on the road, lights and sirens. I pulled over but he wanted the whole group.
After we came to a stop the Wyoming State cop asked me, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
So I answered "About 80-85 MPH" .
And he said "Yes, thats what I clocked you all at. Scooters can't go that fast!".
This is where I showed him the 'BURGMAN 650' on the rear of the bike.
He said " **** me, I diden't know they made scootors that big. Whats its top speed?" .
So I said what we all thought... "About 110 MPH".
He said "Bull-**it, show me". I looked at him with that look of "Do I look that stupid" and he said "Really, NO ticket"
The Goldwing rider said he would go back and do this with me as his speedo was dead on. Took my duffel and tent off.
We turned around and went back 1 1/4 mile. I pulled my mirrors in. With the Goldwing slightly behind me on my left we took off full throttle. I leaned over to put my helmet under the windshield too. Now this was a very slight down hill drop of maybe 50 feet in that mile. As we went past the cop I looked down and my speedo was showing 132 MPH.

o_O REALLY???

Turned around and went back to the group. The Cop came over and showed me the Lidar unit and it had 122.23 MPH showing. The Goldwing rider said his speedo said 123 MPH.

The Cop wrote me a ticket for 47 MPH over the posted limit and 'Exhibitionary Driving'....... But he gave me both copies. I had it here for a long time but can not find it.

Short story, got clocked at 122 MPH in a 75 MPH zone by Wyoming State Cop on a Burgman.

Now, my 2008 650 with just a GIVI screen would top out at 115 MPH no matter what I did.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Again the Like Button just don’t ring loud enough ! Thanks Dave_J ...you put more meat on the bone when you told it this time ...thanks for taking the time to Share It Again.

P.S. I started my own storage shed in my own Back Ally.

See what I told ya 7milesout , you’ve come to the right place.
and in a year from now he’ll show you a picture of it on the Burgman Desk...he never throws anything away...he’s still got the shells from his first easter egg hunt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dave - Even though the LEO said he would NOT write you a ticket, he did anyway? I would be more than a bit miffed.

Yes, I know I'm in the right place. I seriously doubt my Burgman will do above 105 mph. I may find out soon. I better try it before I bolt on the barn door.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ticket books are a two page auto carbon setup. He wrote the ticket and then pulled both copies and gave me both. A souvenir.

I do not know what box of papers it was stuffed in. We had a computer room with all this type stuff in neat tidy piles. We cleaned and boxed everything and put it all in a storage room. Theres big spiders in there. :eek:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oh, I see. He lived up to his promise by giving you both copies, which served a double purpose of giving you a souvenir. Well done. What had you done to your Burgman to make it go so fast? Mine I don't believe would do that even downhill.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I really think the 2003's are over all faster, Blue/Black/Silver. I can only compare my 2003's to my 2008's. The 2008's got a bit better gas Mileage. The 2008's seem to get to 115 MPH and nothing more. My first 2003 as said above went to 132 on the dash. This current 2003 is loaded with a big top box and the frame for the GIVI side boxes. I have had it to 110 MPH but it was not feeling limited at that speed like my 2008's did.
Using Manual mode shifting I know the 2003 is faster. I may go up to 'Test&Tune' night at the Drag strip. Its been open. I live 1 mile from the Starting line, as a crow flies but 8 miles drive.

And you have a PM on backrest.

SIR.jpg

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The Crows and Pidgons hate the .410. At 50 yards the pellets do not have any penetration power but it pi$$es them off and they leave to make noise somewhere else. And it is LOUD!!!

But shooting 'Skeet' Doubles with my .410/.410 over/under is a challenge.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK, no riding today. The last few days I was getting in 60 mile rides but the weather was not so bad.

Today at 7 AM it was 79 F, 82F at 9:30. At noon it was 103F and stayed above 100F till 5 PM. Then it dropped down to 90F.... Till 6:50 PM when it started to climb again. At 7:20 it hit a high of 106F. For this area that is an extreme and we never get that high here. Now 9 minuets later it has dropped down to 91F. Too big of swings.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Doesn't sound like typical Sound-adjacent weather. Yikes.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Now at 8:55 PM its back down to 78F

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
I do not know what box of papers it was stuffed in. We had a computer room with all this type stuff in neat tidy piles. We cleaned and boxed everything and put it all in a storage room. Theres big spiders in there. :eek:
Them spiders is what the .50 is for!

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've enjoyed reading this post. Dave, I'm glad that you are still among us considering the crashes and serious injuries that you have sustained -wow! I've crashed three times - first time on my 1962 Honda Super Hawk a drunk driver made a left turn right in front of me (I sustained a minor injury to my lIeft hand). A few days later a guy ran a stop sign and hit my bike right behind my right leg - no injuries. Another time hit oil on my Super hawk and went down and suffered a slight scratch that bleed a bit and my brother was pissed cause I got blood on his jacket.

I also served in the US Army and spent over two years in West Germany back in the late 60s (Vietnam Era). The only bike I got to ride there was a friend's BMW. After my Army tour (only three years), I went into Law Enforcement in California. I always gave guys on motorcycles a break, except for the Hell's Angels and the other outlaw gangs - they got everything I could give them because they were bad dudes.

Have to day that when I rode bikes, which was up until 2005, I sometimes exceeded the speed limit. I took my Kawasaki ZR1100 up to 130 MPH one day on a deserted country road. It had more left but I didn't want to tempt the devil.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts