Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the long way over to my sons house to help do some electrical, plumbing and cabinet hanging. His house is 35 miles of back country roads but if I go the long way its 52 miles and I am in view of Mount Rainier most of the way.

So today a Subaru Impreza was doing 45 MPH in a 55 zone. I was the third back. I waited twice for the BMW 535i in front of me to go around as he kept hitting turbo boost and then the 'Pop Off' valve would HISSS. The third time I got a shot to pass I gave the Burgman 3/4 throttle and around I went. Got up to 70 MPH.
Then the BMW decided to pass but there was now oncoming cars so I accelerated enough to give him room behind me. But no, he was trying to pass me too but there was not enough room. He had to brake and pull behind me real quick to avoid a head on.

We came to a place where the 1 lane split in to two lanes each way so he jumps over in the left lane and rushes up to the red light. We stop and he keeps buzzing the turbo up. When the light turns green I could hear his turbo spooling and he started spinning the tires so I just put my Burgman in Manual mode and brought it up to 8500 RPM, grabbed 2nd to 8500 RPM, grabbed 3rd and looked sideways and I was 2 bike lengths ahead. I let off and again he rushed up to the red light and then pulled in front of me so I took the left lane. When the light turned green I ran it up in each gear till 4th and at 100 MPH I was at least 5 bikes ahead so I backed off and let him go. I know his top speed once he gets there is about 65 MPH over mine.

I had never raced a BMW 535i. I have smoked a Subaru WRX a few times but a Sti handed my butt to me. I stayed even with a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo till 85 MPH and then it slowly pulled away.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Nowadays getting out of bed is dangerous...... and you know what they say “Boys will be Boys”...... No harm no foul 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
He’s still got both his eyes 🤣. They say “whenever two sailboat are going in the same direction ...it’s always a race”.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Nice to know you still have some oats to sow Dave! 😁

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been over 130 MPH on motorcycles so many times that if I had a us dollar for each I could buy a new car. Fastest ever on two wheels was 208 MPH but that was for just 1/4 mile, 100's of times.

I rode my Suzuki GS750 from Bremerhaven Germany to Stuttgart Germany in less than 4.5 hours at 130 + MPH, 430 miles (690km). Only slowed down for gas and city traffic in major cities like Würzburg. I'd rode two up earlier that day so a friend could pickup his car he shipped over. We took 7 hours going up doing 75- 85 MPH as he did not like to go so fast. I did not wait to ride back with him as he was tired and wanted to stop for the night somewhere.

So buzzing my Burgman 650 up to 100 MPH (160 Kph) is about nothing. Doing so in no traffic is not anything to worry about.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's all fun and games until somebody breaks a leg.

Then it's fun and games on crutches!
I've been riding motorcycles on the street for 50 years now. I have crashed 7 times. None have been listed as my fault except 1, wet leaves.
  1. 1971, a 1968 Honda CB160. A Bunny ran out in front of me at 45 MPH. As I was looking at bunny, the coyote that was also looking at Bunny Dinner ran out in front of me and BANG. Broke my right femur. Bunny lived another day, coyote did not. I had to ride 20 miles to the hospital. I did get $2 for the coyote pelt.
  2. 1973, a Honda 350. A man in a Ford truck pulled in front of me at 45 MPH. I hit him and flipped in to his bed. He looked in his mirrors but did not see what bumped him and was not stopping, so I beat on his back window. Broke my right arm.
  3. 1982, Suzuki GS750N. Going a bit too fast (30 MPH) and hit wet leaves in Stuttgart Germany. Two German Polizi watched the whole thing sitting on horseback. The were laughing so hard. Walked away, sore but nothing broken.
  4. 1983, GS750N. Doing 130 MPH on German Autobahn, a Pontiac Wagon entered the Autobahn at 50 MPH and came over to the fast lane with no warning. I hit the brakes hard but still hit him at 80 MPH. Slid down the Autobahn 500 feet. Walked away, sore but nothing broken.
  5. Dec 7th 2009, a Chevy pickup pulled out in front of my 2008 Burgman 650. I tried to avoid him by changing lanes but he took them away twice. I hit him at about 35 MPH. Broke 3 ribs right side, lacerated my right kidney, broke both thumbs, broke right knee cap and shattered right shin. 2 months recovery and 2 months light duty.
  6. Oct 2010, Honda Goldwing 1100. Lady thought I had changed lanes and took mine. I was doing 25 MPH when her car stopped me. Broke 4 left ribs, left Collar bone, both elbows and left knee cap.
  7. April 2015, 2008 Burgman 650. Doing 65MPH in a 60 MPH zone keeping with the flow of light traffic. A car lost its left rear tire off the rim. It flew over two lanes. I seen it coming and thought it would go behind me so I acceleratd to 75 MPH. But it flipped and came down into my front wheel. It caused me to swerve left at a 45 degree angle right into the Concrete Bairrer. I slid 450 feet down the freeway. Too many broken bones to list, all 9 left ribs with 6 broken in 2 or more places. Ripped a hole in my left lung, bruised my heart and a major brain injury. Could not do my job so 7 months later I retired.
I know about crashing motorcycles and fun on Crutches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I let off and again he rushed up to the red light and then pulled in front of me so I took the left lane. When the light turned green I ran it up in each gear till 4th and at 100 MPH I was at least 5 bikes ahead so I backed off and let him go. I know his top speed once he gets there is about 65 MPH over mine.
That’s an amazing story. An old stock BMW 535i will do The 1/4 mile at 14 seconds flat at 100 mph. The best 650 Burgman won’t break out of the 80’s mph range in the 1/4 mile, never mind hit 90 or 100 mph, yet you easily bested one from 0-100 mph.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Too many broken bones to list, all 9 left ribs with 6 broken in 2 or more places. Ripped a hole in my left lung, bruised my heart and a major brain injury. Could not do my job so 7 months later I retired.

wow, thats terrible.. I had what I thought was a bad accident summer 2019 but yours is really a life threatening one
you still have troubles breathing im certain. especially when youre bent over wrenching etc..yes?
I can relate. though I can not imagine the healing you had to and probably still are going through.

I have a question Dave. can you feel your left lung working harder? I ask because my left lung collapsed and I had massive fluids in it so breathing was bad. and even if I workout and do a lot of aerobics for years, I feel my breathing is heavy and loud. but I couldnt say for certain my left lung is the culprit. I sound like a guy with a huge gut sleeping on his bad. I use asthma spray multiple times a day when I used to have one that lasted me a year for allergy attacks for a cat at my ex. today its everyday, multiple times. bad breathing and wheezing

did you finish your case with the insurance because im 1000% you have a good % of disability from this. dont reply if its awkward. cheers.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Got to do a Ride Yesterday ... Talk about fake headlines, lol.

Been laughing and chuckling about this since yesterday. It is starts out a a familiar ”I took the long way home ...“ hymn to wind therapy; enjoying the breeze and natural beauty Mother Nature has to offer ... and then morphs into a drag racing with a BMW cager Saga. :p “Took me by surprise, I didn’t realize that you were laughing.” - The Guess Who

We have another band out of Winnipeg called The Crash Test Dummies - I will talk to Brad Roberts and ask that you, Dave-J, are made an honorary member. You are a hall-of-famer for sure.

And here I was feeling sorry for you, you old gent, imagining you sitting in an uncomfortable office chair popping arthritis meds and slaving away behind that computer keyboard all day. The joke‘s on me.
(y)

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Ducati14 , you got that right Hall of Farmer !

·
Registered
996 Posts
Daris, I have been slovenly about shutting to down my computer’s ability and impulse to ”correct” my writing - it keeps insisting that it knows better than me what word I want to use. Yes indeed the should read HALL OF FAMER.

MY phone keyboard is worse because “u” and “i” are side by side. When using telcode short form like u=you and i=I, you can get yourself in a world of problems by not realizing that you texted an accusatory ‘u’ instead of a responsibility taking ‘i’.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Daris, I have been slovenly about shutting to down my computer’s ability and impulse to ”correct” my writing - it keeps insisting that it knows better than me what word I want to use. Yes indeed the should read HALL OF FAMER.

MY phone keyboard is worse because “u” and “i” are side by side. When using telcode short form like u=you and i=I, you can get yourself in a world of problems by not realizing that you texted an accusatory ‘u’ instead of a responsibility taking ‘i’.
Your Good Ducati14, it was just a great intro to a great song...and to say Good Morning to you and our favorite Crash Test Gummie .

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I am retired for sure. Yes I do sit in a very comfy loveseat behind my laptop keyboard. No popping pills. I ignore the pain mostly. I use a CBD topical cream that has very little THC.

On the old forum under my name was Administrator/Crash Bike Dummy" but this forum format does not allow it.

Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman were two of the greatest teamed up singers. Then BTO. Canuck bands ruled!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dave_J - I like the thread. All of it. I raced street bikes in the late 90's. I saw lots of time with leathers on asphalt. But I think you might have seen more than me. You certainly have broken more bones than me.

The next time I ride to my dad's house, between Atlanta and Chattanooga, some times the interstate gets a bit empty. I've so far kept my speed to 72 mph, just for data. Next time, my riding style will be "BURGMANS GONE WILD." I will however ride sane and safe, but when the interstate gets rather empty, I will creep my speeds up to the mid 80's to 90 mph maybe. And if it's empty enough, I may do a top speed pull (maybe 103 - 105 mph?). I feel the same, after racing motorcycles, 105 mph is not that big of a deal. It's only 20 mph more than the speed at which I intend to cruise. And on this trip, if I have any Harley snoots roll by acting all superior, I intend to (try to) learn 'em, but good. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
7milesout ,

I’d give you a great story ...but the Back Alley and my Repository of Great Quotes by Dave_J has been taken off the map.....

Ask him when he was riding with a pack of Sport Bikes and he got pulled over by a LEO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts