Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear Friends:
Those anybody know how to prevent tire rots? Are there any particular brands of tire more prone to tire rot? I heard the best tire both in performance and tire rot protection is Pirelli (told by a bike mech.) and worst is bridgestone!
Please elaborate ...

THANK YOU
Thomas

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
To the best of my knowledge all tires are subject to rot. A lot of it depends on where the bike is stored. I store my bikes on a wooden floor in my motorcycle shed. Cement floors cause rot faster than wook and parking the bike on the dirt or grass is the worst.

All tire manufacturers suggest changing any tire (including automotive) when they reach five years from the date of the date code on the side wall of the tire because the polymers in the tires have out-gassed by then and the tires are too hard and lack the proper stickiness.

All of this is just what I have been told over the years. I am not a automotive engineer, motorcycle engineer or a tire engineer.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason is that I only have 7k and My rear tire didn't pass the inspection. My tire where perfect after the last season. My basement is all nice and dry and cemented. Do you think using wood boards under the tire would have prevented this?
or >>>?
Please advise

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
7000 miles may be enough that you are down to the wear indicator. Some people are lucky to get 6000 miles out of a rear tire{although Burgs seem to do better than average from what I have read}. I haven't had mine long enough to know for sure but my old Zuma would be due for a rear tire at 6500 miles if you went by the wear indicator. I would squeeze an extra 1000 out of them but they would have no tread and be quite thin by then.

Did it fail the inspection because of wear or rot? Or do you know?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Good information from Doug. He's about right. However, if you live near the coast your tires will also degrade much faster. The rubber is affected by the sea ozone. Thats not the stuff in the upper atmosphere but he gases from the sea and the salt. It can shorten a tire life by 30% depending how much actual exposure your tires get. They just rot!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The reason is that I only have 7k and My rear tire didn't pass the inspection. My tire where perfect after the last season. My basement is all nice and dry and cemented. Do you think using wood boards under the tire would have prevented this?
or >>>?
Please advise
When I had to park my bikes on a concrete or dirt floors over the years, I have always put boards under the tires for storage during the winter. I can't say if it really helped or not, but my tires always seemed to last longer than the tires on my friends bikes that hadn't been stored that way. I even put boards under my camping trailers tires when it wasn't in use. Boards are cheap, tires aren't.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
if you live near the coast your tires will also degrade much faster.
If you live in a hot dry climate, rubber will degrade faster too. Of coarse then it is dry rot. I have seen it time and time again on tires as well as other rubber parts, they crack on the outside and then fail. I would imagine that exposure to UV also plays a big part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts