Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm going to have to change my nick and my sig, because I am the proud owner of a brand, spanking new 2005 Burgman 500. Bought it from Southside Honda Suzuki in Dayton, Ohio for $5504 out the door. Blue. Beautiful.

Some comments:
1. I'd been reading on the forums talk about how you don't necessarily feel the acceleration, but the next thing you know you're going 50 mph. I was a bit skeptical. But it's true! It must be the CVT - the acceleration is pretty much constant, rather than varying like it does in a geared vehicle, so you don't notice it so much.
2. My old bike, which is on the market, by the way, is a '96 Suzuki VS800 Intruder. Its favorite thing is to go in a straight line - it doesn't manuever real well. I love how nimble the Burgman is. Dodging potholes is nothing; cornering is so easy and precise.
3. I thought I'd miss shifting - I don't.
4. I thought it would take time to get used to both brakes being on the handlebars, but it didn't.
5. It's a lot more stable than I thought it would be.
6> The windshield is much too small: to short, and too narrow. It seems to create a buffeting effect. I think an aftermarket is called for.

Questions:
1. 4000 rpm max for the first 600 miles??? It's not like I can shift the bike to keep the rpm's down. Is it going to hurt the engine to go over? I know it shouldn't be run hard, but it's just not realistic to keep it under 4000 rpm.
2. After the 600 mile service, is the warranty still good if I do my own oil changes. If so, what documentation do I need that they were done?
3. The manual talks about an viewing window for the oil level. I can't seem to find mine. Does it exist?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
(Will change sig real soon)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Questions...

Question:
1. Edited to fix my "boo boo".

2. After the 600 mile service, is the warranty still good if I do my own oil changes. If so, what documentation do I need that they were done? If you keep all your receipts and a log there should be no problem. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act for details. If you will be doing your own maintanence I would highly suggest purchasing a service manual if you have not already.

3. The manual talks about an viewing window for the oil level. I can't seem to find mine. Does it exist? The viewing window is only on the 650.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
hoping-for-a-burgman said:
Well, I'm going to have to change my nick and my sig, because I am the proud owner of a brand, spanking new 2005 Burgman 500. Bought it from Southside Honda Suzuki in Dayton, Ohio for $5504 out the door. Blue. Beautiful.

Some comments:
snip.
6> The windshield is much too small: to short, and too narrow. It seems to create a buffeting effect. I think an aftermarket is called for.

Questions:
1. 4000 rpm max for the first 600 miles??? It's not like I can shift the bike to keep the rpm's down. Is it going to hurt the engine to go over? I know it shouldn't be run hard, but it's just not realistic to keep it under 4000 rpm.
2. After the 600 mile service, is the warranty still good if I do my own oil changes. If so, what documentation do I need that they were done?
3. The manual talks about an viewing window for the oil level. I can't seem to find mine. Does it exist?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
(Will change sig real soon)
Hi Mike
Welcome to the forum :hello2: and congratulations on your purchase. :)
I take it the 500 is a typo and you have indeed as the title suggests just acquired a Burgman 400 (Svelte) :wink: - This is important in answering one of your questions.

Firstly, dealing with your comment 6, Well that is most folk's experience and there are aftermarket options - Givi and Clearview. The Clearview factory have been dragging their feet producing one for the Svelte -do a search on Clearview and 400 - to find the latest position on this.
Question 1. There is a school of thought that you can essentially ignore this rpm limitation and should work the engine to assist the bedding in process. My advice would be to go above 4000 from time to time, like passing but not to thrash the machine at high rpm for extended periods. 600 miles soon goes.

Question2. I assume you are in the US, I believe your law allows this but you must keep all receipts for parts used. If you intend to do this a service manual is probably as essential as metric wrenches - also good evidence that you are a serious wrencher should a warranty claim arise.

Question3. Now that is just confusing - are you sure the owners manual says that? Have they given you a manual for a Burgman 650? The oil level on the 400 is checked via the fillercap/dipstick which is located just forward of the muffler on the right hand side of the bike (as you sit on it).

Enjoy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Norman:

Yes, it is a typo, I have a 400.

Page 7-15 of my manual, which is clearly labeled a AN400 Owner's Manual, describes how to check the oil using the dipstick. Then, in a CAUTION box, it says, "Check the oil level, through the inspection window, with the motorcycle held vertically on level ground before each use of the motorcycle." I suspect that Suzuki has a standard template that they use for their manuals, and then customize for each bike. This statement probably got left in by mistake.

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Mike, Where are you in Dayton? I've met a guy who lives near downtown Dayton and a lady who lives in Centerville. I am in Mason, Oh and there are a couple more Burgman's down here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

I'm in Tipp City, which is on I-75 about 15 miles north of Dayton. I work in downtown Dayton. The Burgman will see lots of use for my commute.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, this is my first posting an what is an amazing forum :) I got my AN400 last Thurs 1st, and are enjoying every minute of it, apart from the breaking-in procedure, sooooo slooooow :-(

At the moment I have managed 385 miles in 6 days. I've stuck to the 4000rpm limit, but I am unable to do 60-70mph at 4000rpm as mentioned in an earlier answer to question 1. On my 400, 4000rpm = 40mph on the flat with no wind :-|

Do I have a duff motor, or was mph used instead of kph, please put me out of my misery?

Lee ;-P

·
Registered
806 Posts
hoping-for-a-burgman said:
Bob,

I'm in Tipp City, which is on I-75 about 15 miles north of Dayton. I work in downtown Dayton. The Burgman will see lots of use for my commute.

Mike
Sorry I am late to the party. I put on almost 900 miles since Thursday.

I can spit on your house from mine. I live just South of Troy AND I ride the Burgman to Wright Patt everyday, taking the road by the high school and turning at the Tipp City High school, then by the park, then taking the "something-Elizibeth" road (can't remember the name) to 202.

We'll definately have to get together sometime.

Now about your questions: 4000RPM limit? Forget it. Just vary your speed/rpm for the first couple hundred mile. The B400 comes out of the hole at over 4000rpm.

No window on the 400. The manual is wrong.

Yes, you can do your own oil changes. In fact, I prefer it. Oh, and they probably won't change the tranmsission/reare end oil at 600 miles, but go ahead and do it yourself. I did mine at 2000 miles and it was grey with all of the metal particals. If I had it to do all over again, i would have done it right out the gate at 600 miles.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Leenux said:
snip
At the moment I have managed 385 miles in 6 days. I've stuck to the 4000rpm limit, but I am unable to do 60-70mph at 4000rpm as mentioned in an earlier answer to question 1. On my 400, 4000rpm = 40mph on the flat with no wind :-|
snip

Lee ;-P
Hi Lee

As you have been soooo good at observing the limit, you have the forum permission to exceed the 4000rpm for short periods! :lol:

As it is so new - did you check your tyre pressures? We are building up a picture that this is one common area they seem to miss on the PDI.

Oh - yes by hijacking someones thread (naughty!) you have hidden yourself amongst the undergrowth so to speak. May I suggest that you post in the 'Who are you and where are you from' section then people can get a good look at you and give you a proper welcome. It is helpful if you give an approximate location (nearest large town).

..............and welcome to the forum Lee :) :hello2:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Yes, although the 650 may do 60-70 at 4K RPM (I wish) the 400 will not.
Vary those RPMs and if you can, stay off the freeways at least the first few hundred miles. That is (I believe) when the most damage would occur from holding it at one constant/higher rpm.
The Suzuki folks ARE dipsticks when it comes to documentation! There have been many noted discrepancies between manuals, brochures and even their web site.
Welcome Lee and hoping! :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I goofed...

Sorry I goofed! I automatically thought 650 because of the oil "window". The 650 will do 72mph at 4000rpms...I'm almost ready for my 600 miles service...so 6000rpms here I go!

Actually I doubt the scoot will see much more that 4000-5000 on a regular basis. Goes plenty fast for me even at break in revs! :D

I've gone back to edit the post so I don't confuse anyone else.

Dee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts