Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well well Burgies listen up,

Bike got delivered yesterday. Signed final paperwork & everything. My deal was supposed to be $67 month for 3 years & then it goes up after that. No big deal cuz I will actually be paying this off in full soon or next year. I paid no money down & i was happy with that. Well my salesman calls up & says he goofed. The promotion was for cruisers, not scooters and my payment would be $99 month for 5 years. He said if I didn't like the change, I could return the Burgman. Well I did verify with other dealers that in fact u can only do $99 month on these for that promotion. So of course I don't wanna return it, but he will not do anything extra especially becuz I didn't buy the warranties.

SO WHAT WOULD U GUYS DO????????

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sign on the dotted line. If, like you said, you're going to pay it off in a year, does it really matter if you pay $67/mo during the year or $99/mo? That's about a dollar a day extra. Skip one pop per day and you're there. Technically speaking, if you're paying less per month you're accruing more interest to pay off later, so the more 'frugal' option would be to pay more per month so your total cost will be less.

Besides, you can't return the scooter after I sent you those 2004 Burgie brochures :!:
:wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
LIGHTSKIN523 said:
I will actually be paying this off in full soon or next year.
Pay the $99 / mo. Unless there is a reason you want to return the bike.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
As you found out, he is correct. The promotion on the Suzuki Scooters is $99 / month. You want the scooter and he doesn't want it back. I'm afraid I agree and you should pay the $99 / month and sign the new paperwork.

I'm kinda suprised actually that someone didn't catch this before you signed the paperwork at the dealership.

While I don't believe you owed him anything extra for purchasing the bike, I do believe it would be wrong to try to hassle the guy into explaining to the credit company that it was his problem, not yours that caused this issue.

In other words, while it doesn't bother me to think that he nor the dealership may have made any money on the transaction, it would bother me that the fellow might get fired for screwing up the paperwork. In the previous thread, I mentioned that you could throw the guy a bone.... Well, here it is.

My two cents,
Joe

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
When you have someone by the balls, squeeze. Take the bike back, then it will be used & you can buy it for a discounted price. (Or at least make him think you are returning it. You should be able to get that extended warrenty for free or at least a big discount.)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Put 600 miles on it quick and tell him to service it and you will sign! :lol:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'd tell him if you only have two choices you'll give the bike back and tear up your contract. That's the last thing he wants to do. If he agrees to that, then he can't sell the bike as new, so you could probably negotiate a better deal for it, with him taking the loss.

I had the same thing happen many years ago when I bought a Nissan Pickup. I'd negotiated for a certain payment for 4 years, with the total being a fair price for the truck and interest. A few weeks later when the payment book arrived, it was for that payment but over 5 years. He confessed it was his fault for not checking the paperwork carefully enough, but the only thing he could offer me was to take the truck back. I'm sure he figured I'd keep it and just make the same payments for a year longer. I drove the truck right down there with a friend following, and said "Tear the loan contract up! Here's your truck." I had my original paperwork from him showing the 4-year agreement. We did, and my friend took me home. That same dealer called a day later and offered me the truck with a guarantee of payments and term for about $15 less per month, over 4 years. I got the truck back, and saved $15 per month over the 4 years of the original contract (or $720 less). It was less of a loss for him to do that rather than try and sell the truck as used.

Dave B.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL @ Norman & gruntled & good 4 u Dave B,

Well I said I didn't want 2 return it but I had not taken a ride yet. So I just took my first ride. Remember I am a motorcycle rider so mentally I had 2 adjust. I love the power but getting used 2 hand brakes & keeping my feet up with no clutching took some getting used to. It is bigger & heavier than I thought so I might use his goof to take a long ass test ride & if I can't handle the adjustments, guess what??? He gets it back & I got 2 experiment & it didn't cost me a dime. This would be my way of getting revenge 4 all those salesmen who ever screwed me, including the attempted assjob by this salesman. I'll keep u guys posted. Squeezing his balls sounds good 2 me but I am gonna make him sweat it out 4 the weekend while I gat a feel 4 the burgie. Thanks 4 all yor feedback!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

P.S.

Lol @ Frugie, I love u man. I got the brochures 2day. U sent me 2! How cool u are. Based on that I might have 2 keep this thing.......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

THE SAGA CONTINUES...............................

·
Registered
689 Posts
I totally agree with gruntled & 4DThinker, if you returned it now it's a used bike and he can't sell it as new so let him know this and get a better deal like some free stuff or tell him you want the extra warrantee for $450.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If this guy made a legitimate mistake and is a nice guy, I don't see how taking advantage of his misfortune is a good idea.

Besides, I would pay MSRP for a Burgman with only 500 miles or so, as long as the first service is included.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well one thing I have decided is not 2 worry about the warranty issue until the 12th month if I keep it that long & it will be a Suzuki warranty. I think he should do something extra though. I might ask 4 a cover 4 all the stress this has caused me, lol. So yeh I'm gonna play the bad cop & tell him 2 come get it. If he cries about it, I'll ask him about the freebies, if not, then I'll schedule it 4 pickup & then call him & tell him I've changed my mind & I'll keep it. But first, I gotta get used 2 this thing. It's almost as big as my motorcycle & i gotta re-train my brain as far as the laid back riding & not clutching & not having 2 use my feet. I bought it becuz of the ease of riding but now that I have it, it is a little intimidating. Hell even if I don't keep it 4 myself, I can sell it on Ebay. This color is really hot here in Detroit & from what i've seen on Ebay, they go quick.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but it sounds like all you need is a 400.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darcy,

U are right. The only reason I didn't want a 400 is becuz of the digital dash & the folding mirrors that the 650 has. I think I just gotta get used 2 it & i do wanna do some distance riding & i know this will be better 4 that. And i do like being able 2 scoot past cars & other bikes quicker. I'm in testing mode so I'll weigh it out. Good point though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to admit, the mirrors on the 400 are really cheap looking. Doesn't even the Honda Reflex have body moulded mirrors?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
LIGHTSKIN523 wrote
guess what??? He gets it back & I got 2 experiment & it didn't cost me a dime.
Guess again O great Burgman rider, there is no way in this life he will take it back. What he may lose between 4% and 9 % is nothing compared to having to sell it used. Unless you want to take a beating selling it that bike is yours.
All it will cost you is no cooperation at that dealership.
On paper it looks like he stands to lose 1020.00. Between.
But selling it used, paying the finance charge each month till it's sold + screwing his inventory
(it came from another dealer who will not take it back) + the fact that you will pay more for the taxes then he will - your taxes were added to the amount borrowed so you pay interest on that also-
-there are other factors like the market -how many instock-ect.
All & All it would surprise this old country boy if he took it back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm on that same payment plan.
I say pay the $111.00 dollars a month and be happy with it. The Burgman is bad ass... you wont regret it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm on the $99 a month plan, too. I'd say make him sweat some, just to assert yourself, then reluctantly agree. Some free gimmees might be nice, but in the end, you want it, don't you? Don't let the 650 intimidate you. By the time you hit 600 miles and need your first service, it'll feel second nature. Like changing from owning a manual pickup to an automatic sedan. You keep wanting to stamp down on the clutch and reach for a stick that isn't there, but you get used to it quickly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
this is your chance to bargain........... for additional items.....
He's a salesman and wants to sell the bike ....
He doesn't want it back........
For your pain and suffering and his mistake ask for some freebees....
''
'employee discount' at the store as long as you own the bike.
Free maintance for 3 years..
Bargain.........

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Considering the deal you got , I wouldn't hassle the guy any further.

I would just go with the flow.
A little good will goes a long way.
Be understanding.:)

Besides,as someone already mentioned, the quicker it's paid down, the less interest you pay!
It's to your advantage to pay it off faster!

As for the 650 and it's features, they get more endearing as you ride.
Trust me on that one! :wink:

Treat it with the respect a powerful heavy machine deserves until you are comfortable with it, and it with you, and all will be well. (great in fact)

To use an oft repeated quote here "this is not your father's Vespa"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts