Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The key blanks came in the mail Friday and I took them to the locksmith today to get them cut, they work. Now tomorrow I will be installing the magnets, hope I can get them in right, looks pretty easy to me, but I will know after I give it a try. Here is where they came from, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...key+blanks+for+650+Burgman&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Will report what happens. So far I have $23.80 in two keys and shipping is included, it cost $2.17 to have the two key cut, hope the $25.97 covers it.

John

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi I got my key blank from china it was 6.50 delivered to my door here in gold coast Australia got it cut and was told buy my locksmith that my key has a chip so I took it home and it opens the seat and every thing else except start the bike when I turn the key to ignition I get an f1 on my screen .So I found out from Suzuki that the Australian delivered 650 have chips in the key ,my local lock smith has uncut Suzuki burgman keys in stock with a programmable chip for $120 au .its still a lot cheaper than Suzuki wants

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our U.S. bikes don't have a chip key security system, they only have a key with magnets in the key end that open and close the shutter. Like I said in my previous post, I had the keys cut today and the keys works everything just fine, starts the bike, open the trunk lock, locks the steering head. Do the bikes in Australia have a key shutter, or do they just have a chip in the key for security.

John

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I wonder how many people actually use the shutter. I've used it once, just to see how it worked. And I can see myself using it again, depending on where I have to park. But it's sure not an everyday sort of thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the only real concern here is that you have two keys that work your security system be whatever it is. I think we all know what happens if you just have one security key and you loose it.

John

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love the shutter and use it every time I park where some body can get to it.

You only have to have some wise acre pump some super glue or put bubblegum in the key slot once to learn your lesson.

Kim

(I live in a large collage town. The kids are numerous, smart, bored and easily amused.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, any locksmith should have the blank and be able to make you a key. Notice I said locksmith, not Home Depot, or Lowes they can't do it. The locksmith store I use can even do Givi's luggage keys, they have the blanks. The key should cost you between $2-3 dollars, no more.

John

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, any locksmith should have the blank and be able to make you a key. Notice I said locksmith, not Home Depot, or Lowes they can't do it. The locksmith store I use can even do Givi's luggage keys, they have the blanks. The key should cost you between $2-3 dollars, no more.

John
Ahh... that's what I need to try - an actual locksmith! Thanks for pointing out the obvious, John. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have just finished programming the magnets in the new keys that I got from China. First the magnets that come with the new keys are very small and they will not press into the new key holes, there are 4 holes, but only three will be needed. I had to drill out the plastic holes where the magnets go, I was careful not to get the holes too big, so it would still be a press fit for the magnets. Next there is no way to tell which end of the magnet is the N and which end is the S end. You could watch this and find which is which, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...key+blanks+for+650+Burgman&_sacat=0&_from=R40 I marked them with a permanent marker so you could tell. Reason for this is, there is no way to tell which way they go in the new key, N or S. Next it becomes a process of turning the magnets around in different configurations until you get it right, I turned one magnet at a time then tried it in the shutter. Finally after around 10-15 moves I got it right, the second key was easy, I just put the magnets in the second key just like they were in the first key. One problem you will have is removing the magnets when you want to turn then, I had to drill a very small hole in the key side at the end of the magnet chamber to push the magnet out with a very small L shaped tool, if you can't get behind the pin you can't get it out. You could probably drill the magnet hole a little larger and then just super glue the magnet in when you find the right combination of where they go. The whole process only took about 1 1/2 hours, with the magnets and about $26.00 for the keys and key cutting labor. Do make sure that you take your original key and turn it the same way as the new key to see which 3 of the 4 holes will be used for the magnets, they will not work the shutter if you don't get this right to start with.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the problem with the Ebay fobs... most of them are used, or knock-offs and don't come with the factory serial number on the packaging. In order for the indie shop or stealership to program the replacement fob, they need this serial number for access via VIDA.I ran into this problem when I bought a new fob, but failed to retain the packaging and/or the serial number. The key works just fine, but the fob can't be programmed to the car without that number. So I now have one fob (and key) that work perfectly, and another key that will manually open the door and start the car with the instructions provided by Locksmith, but a fob with useless buttons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love the shutter and use it every time I park where some body can get to it.

You only have to have some wise acre pump some super glue or put bubblegum in the key slot once to learn your lesson.

Kim

(I live in a large collage town. The kids are numerous, smart, bored and easily amused.)
I have a shutter on both my bikes. I am in the habit of using them. There are folks around who know how to break the ignition lock with a screw driver and a hammer. They may never come near my machines, but if they do...maybe they will walk on by when they see they will have to deal with both a lock and a shutter. ( My luck, however, might just attract a thief whose specialty is shutter cracking. In which case, bets are off.)

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
I always use my shutter, as my scoot is always parked outside. I believe the likelihood of someone messing with the ignition lock is greatly reduced by using the shutter.

Reactions: Quai_Oui

·
Registered
94 Posts
In Belmont N C, is an old hardware store with a manual type key cutter, they can copy Suzuki and Honda m/c keys with no problem. Even the stealerships could not provide any help with key duplication.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lost my key blank when i met with an accident and then after recovery i want to get new key blank then i contact Locksmith and he made me new key blank at affordable prices.Great service.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,404 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts