Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just drove my 650 silver Burgey home today. This is my first bike. It is raining like anything so it is sitting quitely in my carport instead of cruising the street as I had planned.
I have been wanting a motorcycle for about 20 years, and seriously thinking about one for the last year. I transitioned from a small scooter to commute on, to seeing the Aprelia on line and thinking 500, to almost buying a Sportster. I took the safety class at the local Harly dealer, it was a 5 day class, that had about 2 days of marketing involved, but overall an excellent class. Anyway, I was starting to lust after one of the Sportsters, when I can back to my senses and thought about what I would be using it for. Not only weekend cruising to the mountains or ocean with a rider, but also popping over to Home Depot for a sack of nails and a can of paint.
I started researching, found this web sight, rode a Burgman, and now there is one in my driveway and I am thrilled.
I want to spend the next couple of days in the giant parking lot near my house to practice all the safety maneuvers we learned in class. I will of course spend more than a few days on drills, but it is a good start.
I wish to thank all of the people who post here. You have been very helpful and I feel I know some of you already.
I am very excited about the new Burg (I have already thought of several names, but haven't settled on one yet) and excited about a community such as this. Maybe I will acutally see a fellow Burger on the road one of these days.
Anyway, I will be seeing you all soon in one way or another.
And a special thank you to the originator of this site.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome wascogirl. Just the luck - finally the bike and now the rain. There will be lots of ride days ahead. Congrats on the wisdom of preparing yourself with the course work before you launch into riding. I looked at several bikes before I chose the 650 - I have never regreted it. Have fun.
:salute:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
You go Wascogirl. Man - that's neat. Too bad about the currently crummy weather. I just returned from a 60 mile scoot up to Crestview FL from FWB and back. Man did i fly up hwy 87! on my way back i went ahead and lowered my head under the windshield slipstream and registered an indicated 110. First time for full fast. If it had not have been so windy I might have been able to get another tick out of the optimistic speedo. either way - it felt like i was flying...and i was. :)

after that pool party and with wet underwear and dry jeans, and those freaky speeds, i am glad that i am back here at home talking to you guys! it was fun. we had (on the bbq) scollops, marinated tuna steaks, hot wings, and, a big arse shrimp boil!

I did my first springtime jackknife into my buddy's pool!

Man! It was great - and it was a great ride home.

Don't go that fast till you're used to it.

peace out pedz.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome! You'll have no regrets. Wasco county huh? The Burgman numbers in the NW are growing rapidly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I am from rainy Portland. We had a gorgeous winter. Looks like we are going to pay for it with a have a rainy spring.
regardless of the weather tomorrow. I am out and about. Dont' think I will be doing jackknifes into the neighbors pool, but maybe a big splash in the corner pothole. Oh well, find the thrill where you can!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I think you made a wise decision but I may be juat a tad biased. Have my fingers crossed for you for good weather.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome, Portland is a great city. The weather on the Island was hot yesterday just great for a ride. You should aim the Burgy towards Cannon Beach and ride hwy. 101 down the coast. Our first trip on our 650 executive, whenever it gets delivered, will be down to Cannon Beach. Enjoy your ride. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 wascogirl. Maybe mother nature will give ya a break and let you out riding the new machine soon. Have fun and ride safe. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took the new girl (or is it a boy) out today. I went over to the parking lot and did a few wheelies (just kidding). Did some quick stops, zig zags, figure 8's and got the hang of her.
When I knew I had a general feel for her, I hit the suburbs. Lots of stop signs, turns, neighborhoods, curvy roads, hill stops and a stretch where 60 is the norm.
Feeling pretty darn good about the whole thing. Again, this is my first bike. I rode a lot in orchards and pastures on mini bikes and dirt bikes when I was a kid, but now that I am an adult and ones mortality is a real thing, I wasn't quite sure how I would feel between the fantasy of a bike and the reality of one. Well happily it is darn fun.
I also know as I get more acustomed to being on the bike and not in the car, it will be even more fun.
I had that second thought of "should I have bought the 400?" I am 5'3 and 130 pounds. But after spending just a few hours on the road today, I feel comfortable with the big girl.
I do have a friend who does upholstery. I do think I will have him take an inch or so out of the seat, so I can flat foot both feet instead on 3/4 both feet. I know people who ride their motorcycles who can't flat foot it, but I just feel more secure that way.
Tomorrow is my first commute day. My plan is to pretty much park the SUV for the next 6 months and be a "scooter-commuter".
Anyway, happy riding to all. It is nice to have a group of like-minds to communicate with.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well then there you have it.
Happy riding to you too.
zig zags, quick stops. alla that is fun. I am glad you're having a good meeting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts