Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't know, April 17th I was involved in a major wreck and have been recovering at home. Progress is slow but I am ahead in my hip recovery. All total I totally broke 9 ribs and cracked a few more, broke my left shoulder, did the splits on my landing (scored a 10) that caused my pelvic pubic bone to bruise and tore the ligaments, punctured my left lung, tore my diaphragm, left brain concussion that has causd blured vision still today, lots of road rash. This was all wearing all my good armored riding. Spent 7 days in ICU and now 1 month later still one hurt puppy.

So today I got a phone call from Daboo. Chris wanted to do a day ride down and visit with me. He brought some home made Biscotti. :D We talked for a couple hours about Army life, Air Force life, life in the civilian world after military life and life in general. He took a look at my busted up gear and Scorpion riding jacket and how from the left upper back all the way to my left wrist the jacket is shredded down to the inner liner in places. He agreed I would have died if I was in a t-shirt.

So a big THANK YOU DABOO!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You're a good friend Daboo.

Dave, good to hear you're on the mend and in good spirits. :)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
This was quite a surprise. :) I just logged on to tell everyone how you were...only to find this thread. Thank you for the kind words.

He's still in a lot of pain. He hides it well, but you can see it at times. He was telling me how he coughed a day or so ago...and rebroke two ribs. Wow. And he would be better than me in explaining about his left arm. Moving it is really really painful. So he walked around for awhile with it held up in the air. Sitting in the arm chair seemed more comfortable for him, because he could put his elbow up on the chair's arm and prop it up that way. Time will heal...but it'll still be awhile.

The bike...it's a basket case. The engine is still good, and you can get a good headlight bulb from it...and the darkside tire is in great shape. But the rest of the bike is pretty trashed. There's more salvagable parts than this, but from the front to the rear, you can tell that not only is the tupperware shredded, especially on the left side, but the frame is undoubtably twisted.

His gear? Well, at least he had moved from heavy duty jeans to some kevlar jeans. If you want to see an eye opener, take a look at his right knee. Road rash? Your imagination isn't good enough for this unless you've been through an accident like this yourself. I think if he rides again, he just might invest in some better riding pants with some knee pads. If...

The jacket...shredded. They should use his gear as a demonstration at a Motorcycle Safety Course of what happens when you go down. No one plans to have an accident, but at least good gear will help you keep your body in one piece.

The helmet...well, if he'd been wearing a half-helmet, we wouldn't be talking about Dave in the present tense. I wonder if even a 3/4 helmet would've worked well enough. It's one thing to see pictures. It's another thing to hold it in your hands.

I'll put in a pitch for anyone thinking about it, to buy an airbag vest. Cost is around $500 for one like I got (Hit-Air). I think Dave would've still obviously had the road rash on the knee and the concussion, but chances are he wouldn't have had the broken ribs, punctured lung, and maybe even not the hip and shoulder damage. And the medical bills and lost wages will make that $500 investment seem small.

Overall, he's in good spirits. He's already talking about getting a reverse trike...or maybe even a new Burgman. Don't ask his wife about it though... She is a wonderful lady, but as she said, she has him broken in and doesn't want to break a new husband in. :)

I'll bet he could use a phone call once in awhile. I think it gets boring sitting around the house and unable even to use the time to catch up on things.

Thanks, Dave, for letting me come by today.

Chris

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dave,

I wish you a fast recovery. Hopefully, you'll be back on a Burgman soon.

Nothing lifts the spirit like a visit from an old friend, reminiscing on our days in the military, etc.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Glad your having a good recovery. Hurry back our friend!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dave, wishing you the best. I think about you daily because I went through a bad accident on a motorcycle years ago. I kind of know what you are going through. Wish I was closer to where you live but the distance is just to far for a visit due to my health (getting old and sick). Remind your wife that it is hard to kill a vet, we live through all sorts of things all the time.

Doug
USMC 1970-1978

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Dave,

oooh my goodness, I didn't know you were involved in crash, so glad to hear that you are still with us despite being in what sounds like a lot of pain and discomfort.

Wishing you a very speedy and full recovery.

Daboo the BUSA ambassador, glad you guys had a chance to get together and catch up...I am sure it is going to speed up your recovery.

all the best....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dave,

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.
We need to get you into an Amigo until you are ready for a Burgman again.

Simba

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dave,

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.
We need to get you into an Amigo until you are ready for a Burgman again.

Simba
I imagine that right now it is pretty hard to get Dave into his pickup let alone a small vehicle. I would bet that his recliner is where he spends most of his time. I would love to be wrong here but he got pretty broke up in his accident.

Doug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just remember, Dave, those U.S. Army SSgt's are tough, real tough. When the going get tough, the tough get going! Food for thought!

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I imagine that right now it is pretty hard to get Dave into his pickup let alone a small vehicle. I would bet that his recliner is where he spends most of his time. I would love to be wrong here but he got pretty broke up in his accident.

Doug
:D

My truck is a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express but it is not running right now, wood bed rotted. My son is working on my 84 Dodge Rampage 2.2L truck. Its bigger than a Subaru Brat but smaller than an El Camino.

My wife has a Buick Century and she is my taxi. I can get in and out OK but the lap belt is right over the broken ribs so I have my "Coughing Pillow" under the belt.

Yes my recliner is where I do spend most of my time and sleep. I have tried to lay flat but not yet.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You had a lot of very serious injuries, I think we all know the outcome would've been very different had you not been wearing full gear.
Scary stuff.
Get well.
Mike.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sheez Dave...What is that 3 major bike wrecks since I found you here on the forum?
Remind me not to ride in Washington state. lol
Get better and go ahead and invest in that force field generator for your next ride!
Love that Daboo or Chris too! He has been a true friend in times of need for me too!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Dave, I hope you continue to heal and feel better! I just traded my Burgman 400 for new, leftover 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S with the semi-automatic tranny. It is yellow, nice and visible. I will still be checking in here, too much fun reading some of the questions and responses!
Meanwhile, feel better and you will remain on my prayer list!

Take care,
Wes :thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dave, really sorry to hear about the accident. Makes me think twice about heading over to the corner store for some eggs without ATG. Praying for your swift recovery!

Dale

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dave I'm glad to hear your on the mend. Keep up the good work we're all pulling for you! I'll probably have to sell my Burgie this year I've been out of work for 2 1/2 years and the wolf is growling at the door. Let me know if your interested the only problem is I'm on the other coast in New Jersey.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Dave,
didn't know you were in a crash? hope you have a speedy recovery. I haven't been riding for awhile, got "stage fright" after a cut off!

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave,
didn't know you were in a crash? hope you have a speedy recovery. I haven't been riding for awhile, got "stage fright" after a cut off!
Brad, yeah it was bad but I am getting better. I have a bruise in the shape of a BearCat backrest on my back right side, amongst all the other damages. The two extended plastic tubes sheared off when the wrecker driver tried to tie the scooter down thru the backrest. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dave, so sorry to hear of all this. Glad you are recovering ok...but take it easy. Best wishes from this side of the pond bud!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts