Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is pretty loud with the top vent open and no ear plugs but otherwise it seems fairly quiet. Heavy but seems well balanced so it isn't noticed as much. All in all I like it alot.

My one main problem is it is very comfortable until about 30 or 40 minutes in and it then starts hurting my forehead and eventually gets so bad I can't concentrate on driving I hope it goes away after break in, if not I will have to try something else.

I have read of others that had this problem and they swapped out the pads for the next size up, I am going to have to try that and see if it helps.

Also the cheek pad pump system isn't working, going to have to contact Scorpion on that and see what they say, but I've heard nothing but GREAT things about their customer service.

All in all a great helmet for less than 300, it also has a detachable front piece so I can make it into a 3/4 helmet but no face shield then, only the internal sun visor.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I just bought the Transformer too. I can not compare it to other medium quality helmets because it is my first decent helmet. It took me a while to figure out that in this category, you get what you pay for.
I like how the helmet slices through the wind with no buffeting. It seems very light but then my former modular helmet seemed very heavy and caught all the wind and noise. Enough so, that I would not take it on the super slab. With the EXO 900 I had no dread of trying it and have ridden at 70 mph with no problem several times now.
YES! The first time I put it on I thought my eyes were going to ooze down my cheeks. I put it aside and then tried it again. Better. It is breaking in fine now and I am not going to artificially push the process lest it become too loose. If I wear glasses and they can be easily inserted after the helmet is on my head.YES! It is somewhat noisy with the vents open and there is, at times a faint, high pitched whistle. I think Chris had the same problem and customer service helped him out. It is the seal on the face shield. Goes away with a tap in the downward direction. The vents are easy to use once I got used to them. So much easier then my other helmet where I never knew if they were open or not...that is when I could locate them on the fly. The EXO 900 doesn't vent the face area so well. I have to keep it cracked open when it is warm.
I have not tried the pump yet. I probably won't use it anyway.
I find the that the sun shield is practically worthless as the tint is not dark enough for the East coast. I can only imagine how ineffective it would be in hot, dry climates. I also find it a bit cloudy. The switch on the side is pretty cool and well placed but I was a little disappointed that it does not descend quite as far as I would like it to. I find myself shifting the bucket toward the front to get it down a little.
The chin guard makes an uncomfortably loud 'thwack' when being shut and locked. The release button on it is not well thought out for convenience and sort of has to be learned how to use it properly. It is easy to apply pressure in the wrong direction.
The detents on the face shield click smoothly and hold their position nicely. Fogging is almost a none issue but then it is summer time. The winter will prove it one way or another.
I'll cut to the chase since this is the second attempt at posting this as I timed out and lost the first post. Like Scotty1981 said it is well balanced and the snugness seems to make it a part of the rider. It's solid in spite of my nitpicking.
I do not know how the Scorpion EXO900 T compares to others in this price range but I am very satisfied with it. Plus, I have all that great customer service and availability of parts for it. If the perfect helmet is a five...I give it a 3.5.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sounds like your helmet is too small if it is giving you pain.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NormanB said:
Sounds like your helmet is too small if it is giving you pain.
It might be but I wore in the store for near 30 minutes and now I am stuck with it as they don't accept returns on worn helmets and I couldn't take the box with me anyway as I rode in. That is why I plan to order the XXL liner to see if it helps as that is much cheaper than a new helmet. The shell is the same size for both sizes only the liner differs and I read on another forum it should give me about 4 or 5 mm and that might make the difference. It really doesn't feel too small when I first put it on, it just feels like there is not enough liner for the first half inch or so down from my hairline, like it is too hard.

I really hope I can find a solution to this as it is quite a bit of money and would be a very expensive mistake buying it if I can't fix it somehow.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You'll also find the helmet padding will compress with time.

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I too felt that scorpion helmets fit tight on my forehead. The sale guy said it would break in and it must according to a friend who has one but I was too nervous to gamble. I hope yours works out for you and keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I bought one just after getting RedBurgi and it is fine for up to and hour for me also however my pain came at the cheeks instead of forehead . . . I use it in the rain and cold and otherwise I use another helmet (Scorpian 1/2 model 100 I think). When I find a modular I can live with with my big head, I will get it on the spot. And I will look for any light color I can find even don't hit me green/yellow. :thumbup:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WeeWilly said:
I bought one just after getting RedBurgi and it is fine for up to and hour for me also however my pain came at the cheeks instead of forehead . . . I use it in the rain and cold and otherwise I use another helmet (Scorpian 1/2 model 100 I think). When I find a modular I can live with with my big head, I will get it on the spot. And I will look for any light color I can find even don't hit me green/yellow. :thumbup:

They had a white one I almost got but it was a display model and kind of grunged up with a few scratches, so I opted for the yellow that matches my Scorpion XDR Master jacket anyway.

I get no pain except for the forehead so I am fairly confident it can be fixed with time or one size larger liner.

It was actually a gift from my wife but I would have bought the same size, I would have never known about the pain since it kicks in so long after wearing it. I wish cycle shops would have loaner helmets to let people test drive before buying.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my cheek pad air pump assembly wasn't working and they sent me out a new one and I asked them about buying a 2XL liner to try and they sent it out with the cheek pads free of charge, Scorpion Customer Service is great.

On a side note and I'm not too happy about it but not too upset either is the air vents on my helmet are all black where if you google the helmet you see they are painted to match the helmet with a black border. I was somewhat surprised and disappointed when I opened the box and saw that it was different.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Chicago Cycle used to have a great selection of helmets. A lot of different brands. But it closed 2 years ago. A store not far from my home has only black HJC helmets. Now every year I wait for a motorcycle show to try on new helmets from various manufacturers. It's not as good as buying a helmet at a store, but definitely better than just ordering one online without trying it on first. I bought my latest helmet after trying it on at a show, but still picked up a helmet that was too small for me. Fortunately I was able to exchange it for the next size up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
So my cheek pad air pump assembly wasn't working and they sent me out a new one and I asked them about buying a 2XL liner to try and they sent it out with the cheek pads free of charge, Scorpion Customer Service is great.

On a side note and I'm not too happy about it but not too upset either is the air vents on my helmet are all black where if you google the helmet you see they are painted to match the helmet with a black border. I was somewhat surprised and disappointed when I opened the box and saw that it was different.
That's awesome service. Hey- if the vents bug you that much- I'd ask about it. Perhaps they can send you the proper color matched vents.

I in no way work for them- but I think I'll get my next helmet from Revzilla. You can exchange a helmet for another size long as you don't wear it outside the house. I figure wear it with a helmet liner (which I use when riding anyway) for a few hours watching tv or playing a videogame.

Sounds extreme- but only way to be sure.

I bought a helmet barely used off craigslist a Vega summit 2 modular for $40- canary yellow. Best $40 I've spent in awhile- it's no high quality helmet- but it'll do for now till I can save up for a Shark Evoline (assuming they fit my head)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did ask about the vents, the yellow ones were only on the prototype used for the photos, all production helmets sold have the matte black vents. If you google the helmet any photos you see of people wearing it or taken by someone have the black vents, only the stock Scorpion photos have the colored ones. I have considered getting them painted though lol.

I still haven't tried it as a 3/4, going to have to do that soon before it gets too cold lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts