Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's not a scooter. We will be picking up my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200 on Tuesday. All the finance companies said no way to a scooter however Harley gave us a great interest rate and zero down. So, I'll be able to ride this for a while and keep me content until the 2006 model Burgmans come out here and get enough saved up to pay cash since apparently that's the only way I can get one.

so, hope I can still hang around. I still want a scooter. Heck if I win the lottery tonight, I'll get one along with the harley. :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nancy,

Did you check with Suzuki's financing options?

Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That's kind of bizzare. I had no problem financing the Burgman 650 through a local bank here. I think I put 20% down, but could have done it with less. The dealer arranged the financing, the interest rate was in the 5% range. I paid it off when I sold my V-Strom this year.

Anyway, enjoy the Sportster! Stick around (just close your eyes when the Harley jokes fly.) :wink: Wear your gear, ride safe, have lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The fact that you ride is more important then WHAT you ride.
Except for a HD of course---------Just kidding ! :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nancy,

Congratulations on your new ride. Even though it's not a scooter you can still ride with our group. We have several Harleys and they can usually "Keep Up" :D At least you are riding again. Drive safely and have fun.

Janine :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I am interested to see how you get along with that bike as far as how it compares to the ole putterbug.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Nancy - congrats on the purchase - where are the pics? :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pinwheel said:
it's not a scooter. We will be picking up my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200 on Tuesday. All the finance companies said no way to a scooter however Harley gave us a great interest rate and zero down. So, I'll be able to ride this for a while and keep me content until the 2006 model Burgmans come out here and get enough saved up to pay cash since apparently that's the only way I can get one.

so, hope I can still hang around. I still want a scooter. Heck if I win the lottery tonight, I'll get one along with the harley. :wink:
Have fun. Now remember, even though thar 1200 ain't as quick as the Burgman, it does sound purdy! Enjoy & be safe, Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tried all of Suzuki's financing options. Since the Volusia is financed with them, was told no. Yamaha and Honda were the same(apparently they also use household bank somehow). They all kept saying it was because of the bankruptcy in 2001. Have perfect credit since then but they don't look at that. The Volusia was financed 2 years after the bankruptcy. Oh well. The Harley will have to do for now.
Think I might just get a little Reflex to go with it. They had a pretty red one.
It's going to be weird having to shift again. But I ride the Volusia. And I feel more comfortable on the HD than the Volusia. Guess because it isn't as wide as the VOL.
I get to pick it up on Tuesday. We got to the dealership 20 minutes before they closed and when they said we were approved, all the shop people had already left for the day. I guess if I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes next door on the Reflex, Silverwing and Burgman I would have been able to get it on Saturday. But then again, we were expecting yet another no for an answer.
I'll only be able to ride on weekends unless the mom in law is on vacation, but hey, at least I got my 2 wheel freedom back.

Now...gotta save up for a little 250 scoot. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on your bike Pinwheel. Looking forward to seeing it if we ever go on a ride we both make it to :p
I suffer the housebound issues of children / family so that kind of narrows down my ride day options but it's a fair trade off :)
-Moo

[Edit] waitasec... you're in Texas, no?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've been 30 miles on it. We wanted to ride this weekend but looks like we won't have a baby sitter. So that means I get to just look at it sitting there. It rides a lot smoother than I expected since it's a Harley after all. Much smoother ride and better feel than the Volusia we have. Now do I still want a scooter. Of course!!! But at least I'm on 2 wheels again and can enjoy riding instead of being a passenger. I miss the storage of the Putterbug. I'm getting saddlebags, but it won't be the same. Where do I put my helmet and my purse? Won't fit in the saddlebag. Gas mileage from what I'm told is about 50 mpg. We shall see. What is hard to get use to is the right blinker switch is on the right side of the handlebars. It's got a lot more pick up than the 400 did. Crosswinds were nothing where as on the B400 I got blown all over the road. When I get another scooter, it will have to be something heavier than the 400 is. Maybe the 650 with a lowered seat.

PICTURES are on my picturetrail album. They aren't that great of pictures. When I shrunk them down to size, I saved them at too low a resolution. Just been too lazy to redo them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
On my Superglide (before I built the motor) I got betrween 53-56 MPG! That Sportie may surprize you. The LOW cost of QUALITY parts and AVAILABILITY will MORE than surprize you. And ALL those surprizes will be good ones.

Hey, your Harley is the same color as MY Harley!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I'd love to have a new 1200 Sporty!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pretty bike. Nice color. And I'm sure it makes nicer sounds than a Burgman.

Downside is definitely storage. I've been spoiled by 2 sport tourers with hard luggage, then the Burgman. I can't deal with a motorcycle that can't carry stuff in lockable storage anymore. But there was a time when I would have liked your new ride myself. :wink: Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with the exception of the storage issues, This is a really great bike. It handles much better than the 95 VS800 and fits me better than the Volusia. It would be great if it were an automatic. It handled the wind a lot better than the B400 did. The new bike weighs a lot more though. I would still like a scooter but at least I get my 2 wheel freedom. The exhaust is quiet. Billy said it sounds like Putterbug on steroids. LOL

I got caught in some bad thunderstorms yesterday. I handled that pretty well. The only problem was I was looking at Billy's saddlebags because that's where my rain gear was. By the time we were able to pull over to put it on, we were soaked. Before it rained though, we went through the National Forest by the house. It handled the curves pretty well. Not as well as Putterbug but better than the other bikes I've ridden through there.

Got 229 miles on it now. Seat....gotta get a new one in the future if it doesn't break in like they said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts