Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hubby gave me a Burgman 400 ... I had been riding a Honda Rebel 250 - mostly on a 60 mile commute. He thought the scooter was a better option... so far I really enjoy it, but it has been a bit of an adjustment from a motorcycle. I LOVE the storage - but still getting used to the sluggish throttle, not needing to shift, and not having neutral, not being able to let it idle unless on the center stand,not having engine braking and a few other things.
Anybody else move to the Burgman from a "regular" motorcycle?
I will be taking it on (my first) group ride with a bunch of folks I met online (Beginnerbikes.com) next week. Wish me luck~ :)
-diane
oh, yeah, btw - from southcentral New York State (near Cobleskill), and work in the Capital District (Albany)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Diane,

Welcome to the forum! That is a real nice birthday present!

I've owned 17 motorcycles and several scooters over the years. I still own a Suzuki 1000cc motorcycle. I bought the Burgman 650, never rode the 400 model. The Burgman is very different to ride than the motorcycle, but I like it a lot. At this point, I am comfortable riding either the big scooter or the motorcycle. I enjoy them both, but I ride the scooter more often - it is just so convenient.

I think that you'll quickly become used to riding the Burgman 400. Be sure to keep us posted!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the forums Diane. I bought a Burgman 400 after a long break from riding. The Burgman is a bit different than riding a regular motorbike. It didn't take me long to adjust to the changes though. To me scooters are less work and more fun.

As for the sluggish throttle, the Burgmans are deceptive in the amount of acceleration they provide. Since you're not shifting gears it doesn't feel like it's getting up and going. One thing I have noticed tho. If you open up the throttle all the way at the start the 400 doesn't accelerate as well. To get moving quickly I open the throttle about 1/2 way and then begin rolling the throttle. It seems to provide better take off.

For me not having a neutral hasn't been an issue. In the mornings I start the bike up, let it run for a few moments and just start riding. I do take it a bit easy until the temp guage shows the bike is at least at 1/4. I've also gotten used to no engine braking. We won't talk about the times engine braking nearly got me ran over by cars. :) I do wish the front and rear brakes were not linked. There are times when applying the rear brake alone is an advantage. But overall, I've found the brakes on the 400 do a very good job.

I hope you're having as much fun on your 400 as I am.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Diane,

Follow the instructions contained in your Owners Manual that describe
the throttle linkage adjustment.
When this adjustment is made, your throttle grip will make a tighter
connection to your motor and your Burgman will take-off faster.

Your Burgman is brand new and before it has its first service visit it
won't have a lot of power, but when you put 1,000 miles on it the power
will really increase.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Diane :wave: and welcome to the forum. Belated :eek:ccasion4: wishes. What an awesome present. I went from sportbikes to the 650 and I think it's great. I also commute and don't miss a backpack one bit.......I love the trunk :D As others have stated the repsonse and power of your new 400 will take a bit of breaking in. When you go on your group ride you will realize how easy you can keep up with the pack. I've been on several group rides and actually led a couple. The guy in second had to chase me down on the first ride and tell me to slow down :oops: and wait for the pack. I think once you get use to it you will love it, especially in stop and go traffic where you dont have to feather a clutch.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Happy Birthday Diane!

Nice present. I think once you get used to the differences you'll really love your Burgman (despite the dumb name :wink: ).

I got the big 650, and after less than 3 weeks I already have 1400 miles on it, including 2 long road trips -- one of them as part of a squadron with 7 "regular" motorcycles. It was a blast.
billmeek said:
...I do wish the front and rear brakes were not linked. There are times when applying the rear brake alone is an advantage....
Should have got the 650. We have regular brakes. :p

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Diane,

Happy Birthday, Good luck with the new 400 and welcome to the forum. Your going to get used to your new ride faster then you think. On my birthday its a new tie or out to diner, I guess I'm not doing something right.

Happy Trails
Poppy #482

·
Registered
194 Posts
burgman 400

Hi Diane,

I'm a female rider too :D (and a Diana) , I love my burgman 400, you will get used to everything real fast, Nice to see so many women riders , we are taking over :wink: , by the way ,my hubby bought mine for me too, but it was not even a birthday gift, just wants me to enjoy life after so many health set-backs, having fun , enjoying life, never know when life will change for all of us..... :roll: Be safe , have fun Diana

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi and belated Happy Birthday, Diane! My partner and I have a Burgie 400, too (silver). In the 7 or so weeks since we bought her, she's racked up 1,000 miles (as of this morning). :D

Your motorcycle experience will serve you well, and the 400 does have a lot of power. We just completed the first on-bike part of the MSF class--while the clutch was relatively easy to figure out (we drive sticks), we much prefer the Burgie's automatic: less hassle in traffic. And you'll learn how to control and fine-tune the throttle/speed even better than with the gas pedal in an automatic car.

Enjoy!
Bryna (and Lynn aka Tall Woman)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday!

I am soooo jealous! I turn 40 this year and am hoping hubby gets the not so subtle hints I've been dropping. It's been a tough year financially for us but things are looking up so I've got my fingers crossed.

Its nice to see so many female riders/posters.

Well happy belated birthday...enjoy your new ride!

Dee aka ScubaGirl

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bikinbiddy said:
:D Hubby gave me a Burgman 400 ... I had been riding a Honda Rebel 250 - mostly on a 60 mile commute. He thought the scooter was a better option... so far I really enjoy it, but it has been a bit of an adjustment from a motorcycle. I LOVE the storage - but still getting used to the sluggish throttle,
Hi

Lucky girl. : 8)

The sluggish response is a feature (allegedly) to pass the drive by noise tests. For your next birthday put the Malossi Variator Upgrade on your shopping list it is the BEST performance modification. It shifts the response curve to the left so accel times 0-60 are well impressive - no more on top speed - but hey it is acceleration you need on most trips.

Have fun.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum Diane!! What a birthday present!!! Enjoy the ride.

JD 8)

p.s. IF ANYONE HERE WANTS TO BUY ME A NICE B-DAY PRESENT(JAN.5), SOMETHING IN THE RANGE OF A "650" WOULD SUFFICE!!!!!!
J/K!!! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts