Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new Sony Action Cam labeled the GoPro Killer yesterday. I am not usually the type to get a new unproven product but with a trip to the Barber Vintage Bike Festival coming up and some extra bucks I decided to spend $100 less for a Sony rather than buying the GoPro Hero2. I have to record some of the ride, vintage bike races, and their awesome museum bikes.
The cam is very light and small in size. The waterproof case has a standard tripod threaded mount which makes it a DIY'ers dream for mounting options. The standard mounts provided are pretty limited to the top of your helmet. I quickly fabricated my own helmet mount out of some 1/8"x1-1/4" Aluminum bar stock I happened to have from another project. A quick bend at the right angle, clearance hole for a 1/4-20 screw, a strip of industrial Velcro and done. I can slip it between the cheek pad and the shell of any of my helmets and have a securely mounted side mounted cam. I don't even notice any extra weight and the view is more that of "my" perspective. I am going to experiment with some different mounts on the scoot too. Maybe some forward and rear facing, low by the floor board, and a suspension view. 8)
The Cam is HD and can shoot 1080p 30, 60, 120fps for smooth action and slow motion but that of course eats up memory quicker. The170 degree wide view is sweet but the "steady cam" feature only works in 120 degree view. I really have not seen where that effects the quality while riding though as the image is pretty stable and handles motion and head turns nicely with or without Steady Cam. In 720p mode I can get 5 plus hours on a 16G micro SD card which is longer than the battery will last. I think that is the best compromise for quality and memory usage. The sound quality is pretty good for such a small camera but wind will effect it when not in the waterproof case. I am pleased that the the Sony case doesn't effect the sound as much as the GoPro case does.
The Cons so far are: A kind of flimsy cover over the mic input, USB, and HDMI ports - It is just a dust cover and I don't see it lasting without great care. The supplied mounts are not very versatile - one position perpendicular to mounting surface only. No supplied lens cover to protect the lens - What??? And their are 2 memory card slots for different media and If you put the wrong one in the wrong slot it fits - But you won't record or capture a [email protected] THING on the memory card...Don't ask cause your right. :oops:
I hope to get some pics of the helmet mount and post some of the test videos once I get the editing part sorted out.
Any suggestions for editing MP4 videos?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First video shot was long and caught 2 near misses and a gas pump incident. Thankfully it was other people. I will edit it all into a Georgia's Dumbest Drivers video some day. Here is a short segment I uploaded with it set on default setting of 720p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdxnCSf_MaU

·
Registered
739 Posts
Can't wait to see how you put together the helmet mount... It worked great.. !

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I promised here is a link to my Helmet Cam Mount pictures:

http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/ScooteReno/My Burgman/

I have added Velcro inside all my helmets so I can use the mount no matter what flavor of Helmet I choose. 8)
The beauty is in the simplicity of it! :thumbup:

1 Aluminum Screw, 2 rubber washers, 5" aluminum bar stock, Industrial Velcro, and some paint to make it pretty

·
Registered
739 Posts
Do you use a tether?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have given that some thought and will probably put one around the chin strap of the helmet eventually.
My hesitation is that I can pick up the helmet by the mount it is that secure and the cam, case, and mount are less than 5 oz. combined so I don't think falling off would ever be an issue. I have had it on the highway at 70mph actual and it stayed very secure virtually unnoticeable. I know many who have lost their GoPro when the adhesive mount failed and know the value of a tether for sure. I do think the huge aerodynamic profile of the GoPro also aides in the high speed mount failures. I don't see that being a factor with the Sony as it has a much smaller aerodynamic-footprint.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Steve--

I have been considering a video camera, but have been shying away from the $300 GoPro. Thanks for the info on the Sony. I am also interested in knowing how you attached your GPS to the handlebars.

Thx, Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
A couple feet of thin steel cable, a couple crimps and you can have a really nice tether.

Dang, that camera gets some good shots.

Didn't look at everything, does it do stop motion like the GO PRO?

I solved the battery issue by using an external USB battery to power the Go Pro. Lasts 3 days. Does the Sony have that capability?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Tell me about setup.
how do you ensure you are getting the shot you want?
has it got playback to LCD?
or do you have to wait until you review what you have?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, ok laundry list.

I am also interested in knowing how you attached your GPS to the handlebars.
Metal bracket attached to the handlebar clamps. I fabricated it to slide through the "vents" in the plastic handle bar cover. My GPS has mounting nuts on the back to secure it to the bracket.

does it do stop motion like the GO PRO?

I solved the battery issue by using an external USB battery to power the Go Pro. Does the Sony have that capability?
Yes it has stop motion but the shortest interval is 5 seconds which I feel is a little long for riding the twisties. :D
Yes it has USB port but it's not accessible when in the waterproof housing. :roll:

how do you ensure you are getting the shot you want?
has it got playback to LCD?
The HDR-AS15 has wifi so a tablet or smart phone is your monitor in real time and yes it has playback through wifi or a HDMI monitor.
With the base model HDR-AS10 you can attach it to any HDMI monitor and view or playback.
I have the base model which is more or less Point and Pray as I call it..... :wink: then review it later.

There is an accessory coming out in November which is a grip and monitor attachment that will make it just like a standard handheld camcorder.
I will be getting that for family videos.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
That is impressive all round.
Except from a personal safety perspective.
If you look at safety tests on helmets the weakest area and the most vulnerable in terms of damage to the head is the temple area - my fear would be you are introducing a perfect die to punch a camera sized hole through your temple.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your concern and I thought of the Die Punch too. :?
That is why I have foam surrounding the cam and the hard-ish plastic plate from the helmet between the cam and my head to spread the impact evenly.
I know I'm no safety engineer but an engineer I am and I think I have made good judgement call on this one...at least for my brain.
I might still get banged harder on an off but no die punch to the brain!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts