Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this video... http://youtu.be/gPvV_c1M8yc

And this free software.... http://www.tyretotravel.com/

It explains how to take a Google route map URL, copy and paste it into Tyre to Travel, and download it to your Garmin device. I use it every time I go group riding. Once downloaded, Just pull up the route on the GPS, hit go, and follow the little motorcycle on the screen. Just a few caveats...

The video shows to import route tracks. I prefer to import waypoints as, even on a short route, there are dozens or hundreds of tracks; way too many for the device to handle.

Once you've imported the waypoints, they will be reflected (and will show up on the device) as map coordinates. If you take the waypoint and drag and drop it in the same place, Tyre will change the coordinate to an actual street address. This is much more informative when riding than a bunch of latitude and longitude numbers.

As a Google route URL will provide a minimal amount of waypoints, I generally add a few in Tyre, mostly at major turns. Just drag and drop the route and it will add a waypoint. I find that the least amount of waypoints to get the device to calculate the desired route is optimal. Too many and the device will give you little hiccups on the route in the form of circling a block or something.

Be sure to proof the route on the device. The calculation settings can change the desired route. I usually keep mine at "fastest route" and not to avoid freeways. You can add waypoints in Tyre if the device is not calculating the route correctly.

I personally can't stand Garmin's Basecamp software. So just skip that part of the video. Tyre to Travel will download the route directly to the Garmin device. No need to use Basecamp. (BTW, Tyre makes an excellent substitute for Basecamp, much easier and user-friendly. It even has a reverse route feature if your Garmin doesn't have that option)

And if you're riding with friends that have GPS units also, you can save the route in Tyre as a gpx file and email it to them. They can load it via Tyre or, in the case of Garmin, just drag and drop it in the "\GPX" folder on the device.

Tyre supports Garmin and TomTom units. I don't know of any Magellan software.

Hope this can help someone. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I use a similar site called TakItWithMe to do the same thing. There is also freeware called EasyGPS that will let you take a GPX file that has been downloaded from Google Maps and massage it and upload it to a Garmin.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with those, but will check them out.

I used to use gmap2gpx. It worked okay, but used too many waypoints. It gave me all kinds of route hiccups and the waypoint naming was just consecutive numbers. Not very helpful when you're leading a ride with 30 scoots in tow.

Tyre to Travel is a great program, and free. I highly recommend trying it. It's from Europe, so I don't think it's real popular here in the states. That was one of my main purposes for the post, introduce it to the Burgman board.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If you go straight from TakItWithMe to Garmin you also get to many waypoints. What I usually do is use it to create a GPX file then use EasyGPX to massage the file removing extraneous waypoints then connect the remaining ones into a route and upload it to my Garmin. It's also all freeway.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you go straight from TakItWithMe to Garmin you also get to many waypoints. What I usually do is use it to create a GPX file then use EasyGPX to massage the file removing extraneous waypoints then connect the remaining ones into a route and upload it to my Garmin. It's also all freeway.
Try Tyre, I think this will remove a step as is converts the route to a gpx and downloads to Garmin. It doesn't add any waypoints, just the ones programmed in Google or the ones you add manually. Like I wrote, I found the least amount of waypoints is optimal. Just enough to get the route you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts