Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about two DIFFERENT worlds! My heart rests easier knowing a forum member got my BELOVED 650. And knowing it is in GOOD hands with Joe makes the whole ordeal bearable. Moving from the best, most reliable scooter ever produced (in MY mind anyway), we have moved over to the DARK side.

The Aprilia Atlantic 500 is a scooter I did more research on than life itself. So worried about a model only brought to this country for 2 years in present form, bugs here & there, parts scarcity etc. Trish loved it far more than anything out there. Over 100 pounds lighter than our Burgman that scared her, so here we go! With full due diligence done in research, we will now be a 3 scooter family once again with the 2 little Honda scoots and a new 2004 Atlantic 500. I told Joe when picking up my Burgman (and SHOWED him my Letter fro DMV) than I "MAY" get my drivers license back as early as this week. If I do, this Atlantic is MINE, and Trish once again, is left on her own. :p

It's so funny how the ONLY brand she LOVED, that scared me the most, is now what I want! I rode it a few blocks even with NO license since I was going CRAZY wondering how it compares. NO comparison, NONE. But, it has more character, than my 650 had power. I'm an old guy who just wants to scoot along to the beach & back these days. And in ALL honesty. I simply love ALL scooters, ALL brands, cars, trucks, motorcycles etc. Love em all, hate none. Well, MAYBE Audi..........

Gonna hang around and haunt ALL of ya though. What would ya do without me anyway. Well, other than enjoy yourselves? Mike

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hope you get clearance to ride legally again soon. Enjoy your wifes new ride.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Can't keep a good man down Pappy.....
And I am sure most of us (if not all) don't care what your riding, so long as you keep posting !!
hope you get that license back real soon :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I rode an Atlantic before deciding on my B650. Very nice ride. The salesman complained about getting parts for it. It's battery was dead and had to be jump started when I test rode it. The windscreen wasn't high enough for my 6'1". It DID keep up nicely as I followed the owner/sales manager (riding a crotch rocket) on the test ride with a mile of 70mph interstate included. I might have gotten one had I not seen the Burgmans at the same dealership. So you'll know, they did have to take apart the rear section of the trunk to get at the battery, and it was not a quick or easy thing to do from what I saw.

Have fun. Be safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Enjoy your new scoot, Pappy!

The Atlantic appealed to me but I couldn't find one to look at closely, so I started my scootering life on a Piaggio X9 which shares the 460cc motor. The engine is a peach and I just know you'll enjoy it whenever you're allowed to :wink:

Safe roads ... and don't be a stranger!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I can say without reservation that my brief test ride on an Atlantic 500 was the best scooter ride I ever had. If Aprilia had a decent parts system and good dealer support, I'd have bought the thing in a second. As things were, I did not feel able to take such a notoriously tempermental and hard-find-parts-for scooter very far from home.

Have fun, Pappy! Part of me envies you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really wanted the Aprilia Scarabeo 500.

It looks like a cruiser. I was kicking and screaming that I did not want the Burgman because it looked like a crotch rocket. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer for Aprilia is over 6 hours away.

My burgman has grown on me. "It doesn't matter what your ride looks like, just that you ride" :director:

When I get to the point of making riding a regular part of my lifestyle, I want a Ridley Automatic motorcycle. But starting at $16,000 +, figured I needed to start with something more practical - my Burgman. :lol:

Stacey

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
That's awesome Pappy - I love that scooter!

Cool Beans! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pappy said:
I really want 1 or 2 of every damned thing out there myself. But today I still never got my call OR letter from DMV allowing me to resume driving. 3 scooters in the garage and a nice car. And I just sit, and sit....... :(
What's the scoop with your license? Inquiring minds want to know.... 8)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
telcobilly said:
Pappy said:
I really want 1 or 2 of every damned thing out there myself. But today I still never got my call OR letter from DMV allowing me to resume driving. 3 scooters in the garage and a nice car. And I just sit, and sit....... :(
What's the scoop with your license? Inquiring minds want to know.... 8)
Got it back today!!!!!! Just took a 70 mile ride on the new AA500. DMV yanked it when I had a POSSIBLE mini stroke and crashed my Metro Scooter. I was driving along, the next thing I knew, my wife was screaming and pulling my bike off of me (she was on her own scooter following me). My doctor turned me into DMV. Taken me forever to get it back. Don't care now, I'm FREE! :diabloanifire:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeah!! Glad you like the new scoot so much and that you got your license back.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I do NOT got to him any longer. Changed to another Doctor just down the hall in his same Health Plan just to piss him off! My new doctor is Vietnamese and I am a Viet Nam Combat Vet so we have a ball together. He is the one who GOT me my license back. He was unbelievably aggressive in doing so I might add. I even put up a web site in my defense for DMV with his help. WHAT a nightmare.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Victory for the little guy at last! Best of luck to you Mike and your new scoot. I hope for the best of luck in the maintance and reliability of your Aprilla. I am also glad that you are going to stay with us even if you are sitting on what I think might be a HD :!: :wink:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Pappy,

That's awesome you got your ability to ride back!
I was pulling for you the whole time. I feel you will remain younger and healthier being active and enjoying life, akin to those who retire and become inactive only to pass on a short time later.
Keep the black side down! 4 wheels move the body... :D
Oh! Grats on your new ride!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello Aprillia

Pappy,

I came close to getting an Aprillia Atlantic! A year and half ago I was able to get a dealer test ride on the Atlantic. I fell in love with the light blue color being offered the frist year it was out. At the time the Atlantic was the only high cc maxi-scooter available besides the Silverwing and I wasn't interested in the SW. The color I rode was a dark gray and the dealer really wanted to sell it to me. I looked at it twice and I think if he could have found me a light blue, I would own it today. The styling is excellent--so Italian looking. I especially like the tail lights. The new Scarabeo 500 is also good looking and has gotten good reviews as well. I'm sure your wife will be happy. For me, the seats on both the Atlantic and Scarabeo are just a little tall. I think I could have managed but it's a non-issue on the 400--I'm totally comfortable and happy with my choice but wish the two of you all the best on your new wheels.

Burgwoman400 USA

p.s. Congrats on getting your license back!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts