Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this subject anywhere. ( I did a search)

How about some feedback on parking Burgs.

I know this subject just came up on the yahoo Burger group, but I quit that one recently because of all the whining and arguing going on.

Parallel, angle, on the sidewalk, on the road, in the little corner things at malls, plazas etc.

Tips on NOT dropping it while parking etc.

Security, locking.

How and where do all of you park.

Center or side stand preferences too (I know that's covered elsewhere), but it goes with this subject, as related to the locations.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
In towns with a curb (Street):
I back in on an angle, untill the rear wheel touches the curb, using the side stand.

Public Places:
Next to other bikes if possible. It takes less room and is more visible.

Fueling:
Using the center stand, allows the maximum amount to go in.

Parking in General:
Uphill where applicable, 95% side stand. Parking down hill there is a better chanch for it to fall over if the parking brake is not applied, or comes undone. Also you don't need to "duck walk it" backwards-uphill.

At home in the Garage:
Side stand.
When servicing, I park downhill on the center stand (facing out in my garage). Easier to get off the centerstand going downhill.

Long term (Winter)
Center stand

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PARKING

Good Jim,
Thanks

I forgot about fueling and winter storage

·
Registered
857 Posts
at home in the garage - side stand, as close to the wall as I can get so the kids don't bump it.

at work- i'm lucky to have a parking garage to park in that has "triangles" that cars don't fit in, and thus are available for us bikers. I sometimes have to get there early to keep a Goldwing from getting my spot, but usually get a nice spot near the door. It's in the shad which is really critical in the summer here. I always park on the center stand, mirrors folded in, steering column turned and locked, but I don't bother with the key lock/shutter mechanism.

Don't know if anyone else has done this, but so far, I've accidentally left the lights on when I turned the key too far to lock the steering column, and in the sunlight (it's right on the edge of the garage so I still get some pretty good light), it was difficult to see. Then of course I had a dead battery when I came out after work.

I have an interesting question - the Goldwing rider always leaves his 3/4 helmet on the seat of his bike - i've not examined it, but I swear it is not locked or anything. I can't believe he's not had it stolen, and it is nice - matches the paintjob on his bike. Anyone else do this?

Flint

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
flintbobbi said:
at home in the garage - side stand, as close to the wall as I can get so the kids don't bump it.
I park both my bikes on their centerstands in my garage. Not a big deal, but there are a few advantages to that.

1. The bike is level, so it is easy to check the oil and other fluids through the sight window(s) before riding.

2. It is easier to check and adjust tire pressures. I can rotate the rear wheel by hand to get the valve in the proper position. I can do the same with the front tire if I push up under the front of the fairing to raise it off the floor. I do this about once a week.

3. When the bike isn't ridden for awhile (like during the Winter), at least the rear tire is off the ground, and the front is supporting less weight. This helps to prevent a flat spot from developing on the tire so the bike doeosn't go thump thump thump on that first Spring ride.

4. With the V-Strom, I can also lube the chain when it is on the centerstand.

Neither way is right or wrong, and it depends somewhat on how much space you have in your garage.

flintbobbi said:
at work- i'm lucky to have a parking garage to park in that has "triangles" that cars don't fit in, and thus are available for us bikers.
When I worked at PayPal, we moved to a new building that EBay constructed for us. The parking lot was still a work in progress. One of the gals there frequently rides her Harley to work. She went to personnel and asked them to add a cement apron for motorcycle parking. They did it.

flintbobbi said:
I always park on the center stand, mirrors folded in, steering column turned and locked, but I don't bother with the key lock/shutter mechanism.
I choose the sidestand or centerstand depending on whether the parking spot is level or not. If level, I use the centerstand. If not, I use the sidestand and parking brake. I usually do fold the mirrors in, I always lock the steering column. I usually don't use the shutter mechanism. Probably should, but I don't. I also carry a disk brake lock, but rarely use it either.

flintbobbi said:
Don't know if anyone else has done this, but so far, I've accidentally left the lights on when I turned the key too far to lock the steering column
Did that once on another bike. Haven't done it since.

flintbobbi said:
I have an interesting question - the Goldwing rider always leaves his 3/4 helmet on the seat of his bike - i've not examined it, but I swear it is not locked or anything. I can't believe he's not had it stolen, and it is nice - matches the paintjob on his bike. Anyone else do this?
I've seen other riders do that too. Me - I am not going to leave a $300 helmet laying on the seat. It gets locked inside the Givi topbox along with my other riding gear. When I tour, and both the Givi and the underseat trunk are full, I use that stupid cable thingy that comes with the scooter to secure the helmet. Not as good, but it is better than laying it loose on the seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts