Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it seems as if Murphy and God are battling it out to see who will control my life ... yesterday I had a short ride to do, around town delivering some documents. Wheeled the Burgy out of the garage, got the gear on, rode off down the street.

Made half a dozen turns at intersections; crossed 2 or 3 roundabouts; remembered I was a bit short on fuel and called in at a petrol station. Filled up. Resumed riding to my destination. Total about 5 Km, in moderate traffic, with incidentally a very strong crosswind a lot of the time.

Dismounted, got the documents out from under the seat, put gloves and helmet in there. Then I saw it.

On the front fairing, just inboard from the rear vision mirror, is a small flat area, and there on the left hand one of those flat areas, was a box about half the size of pack of cigarettes. In the box were my $2000 hearing aids, which I then recalled I had put there while I opened the trunk before the ride - too many bits and pieces to juggle.

HOW COME THAT BOX WAS STILL THERE??!!!! Where was Murphy yesterday?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Some you win, some you lose. I went looking for my $70 LED Trainman's Lantern...had it for work at a job I no longer have. Can't find it; and my guess is I left it at the last campsite I stopped at...in North Dakota, 500 miles away. Two months ago.

Bummer. That was a great, brilliant LED lantern; and we'll be looking at electricity issues soon in the States.

Savor the moment.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Coming home from Vintage Motorcycle Days in 2007. My riding pals decided they wanted to be home in one day. It was hot, over 100 degrees plus a heat index. I caved in, after all these are my two best friends. We came home in the heat. At our last rest stop, I put my Camelback on the top of my top box before going into the bathroom to wet myself down as I was overheating. I was a little punchy, probably should have stopped riding before that point. But we were within 60 miles of home by that time. Got on bike and took off for home. We were about 30 miles further down the road before I decided to take a sip, only my Camelback wasn't on my back. It was somewhere on the roadside in a 30 miles strip. Lesson learned, sort of. I did ride one more time and overheated with one of those two friends, about 5 years ago. Have not let it happen again. I just tell them to go on without me now. They have decided that I am their heat indicator now. Murphy almost bit me hard, I got lucky both times. I didn't have a accident or end up in the ER with heat stroke.

It helps when Murphy gets you to have God along with you at the same time.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
41 Posts
Stupid and Lucky

Weekend before Thanksgiving I took a good look at my rear tire because I had been noticing some handling slippage from the rear, and sure enough to my disgruntlement the rear tire down the middle was pretty bald and even a slight belt showing in one spot. I had replaced the original hoops at 6,800 miles and now I'm at 12k, I don't know how some guys get over 10k plus on their tires.

So, Monday rolls around and I know most shops are closed but I call one place and they were way to overpriced and had some shady reviews so I opted to wait until Tuesday to check a shop that I have gone to before.

Meanwhiling I am still riding on these bald tires being as careful as I can. When I called the shop on Tuesday they said they ddi not have the tire in stock but could have it by tomorrow (Wed), so I scheduled w/ service to have my rear tire changed out while I wait.

Wednesday rolls around and I take the burg to the shop on my lunch break which makes me have to rush a little so I take the fwy. It is about 8 miles straight down the fwy, vs 10 miles local roads.

Wouldn't you know it as I am pulling off the fwy about 1,000 yards away from the shop my rear tire blows.

Luckily I was able to spin it into the shop on the flat and not hurt the rim.

I would say some serious luck and some serious stupidity, lol.:( :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I borrowed a friend's car in Mexico once to go to the beach and he told me to be very careful of the insurance papers. While driving home from the beach the girl I was with opened the glovebox to get something out and the insurance paper got sucked out of the glovebox and flew out the open window. We turned around and went back to where we thought it was and stared in hopeless shock at the hundreds of pieces of paper littering the side of the road. She took a deep breath, screwed her courage to the sticking point, stepped out of the car, bent over and the first paper she picked up was the insurance paper!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts