Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my chapter of the Southern Cruisers had the Feb. chapter ride today. I however could not go on the ride with the group because in the past year I have not been on a new rider's ride in order to be allowed to ride with the group. (everytime I sign up, it gets rained out....**sigh**)
Anyhow, Billy and I decided to make our route and meet everyone for lunch. So we head out, 30% chance of rain. That means 70% that we won't get rained on. Well we stopped at our first gas stop on the way out to fill up, talked to a group of Gold Wing riders. Asked if we hit rain. We said, No not yet. Then me, key word YET. We take off and head out and not even 10 minutes down the road it comes a gully washer. Sheww!!! I've only been a passenger in the rain so I was rather surprised how well the 400 handled in the rain. And the only thing that got wet was my face because I decided I would try my half helmet out on the scooter. Was pleased that my legs and feet stayed very dry.
So we get on down the road and start to dry out and we have to start dodging piles of horse poop. Trail ride weekend---I hate rodeo season. We get stopped by 3 different trail rides. **stinky***
Meet up with part of the group at the restaurant, someone's got a flat. I get my compressor out and plug it in and help them fill the tire up. Man, once the other parts of the group showed up they were all looking at Putterbug. It was neat.
Ate lunch and we took off a different way from the group (after all we weren't riding with them today anyway) We went where we would pass them on the road. Everyone got a chuckle out of that. Got rained on 2 more times. And then got behind someone hauling a load of fertilizer (aka horse/cow poop). We almost threw up. What a day to pick to wear that 1/2 helmet. Anyhow, we blew past them with no trouble what so ever.
We get close to our end point and I SAW ANOTHER BURGMAN!!! It looked like a 650 however I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see if it was a 400 or a 650. But it was a burgman. Silver too. I think it was a 650 because of the passenger backrest didn't look like mine and it sounded different. We we pull up to the ice house to meet everyone once again and they were all laughing about how we passed them and they saw that other burgman and waved to him thinking it was me. They were embarrassed. LOL Funny though, they were looking for us.
So, despite the black rain cloud following me around, people on horses drunk out of their minds at 10am, wind, poop on trailers and adjusting my shock too soft it was a great ride. I wish I would have tried it without the bum stop, I could have used the extra stretching room.
So 200 miles later, I'm ready to go to sleep and do it again next weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Great post pinwheel, as I stated in my previous post, my wife and I just love to keep up with the pin wheel saga. Glad to see you getting to enjoy the putterbug. Happy and safe riding to you. Sometimes it's the adversities we encounter along the ride that's the most memorable. I may at a later time post about my Sturgis trip in 2000 and sleeping on a concrete picnic table. What memories.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Pinwheel
Sounds like you had a nice ride, did more or less the same my self Rt.16 from Zapata to Freer then 59 to Laredo . no rain :)
By the way, the smell would have been the same with a full face, except it mite have lingered a little longer :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day ... other than the rain and 'scents'. :) I bet the other Burman rider was surprised being way at by a whole group. :D What were some of the comments from the Southern Cruiser crowd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
I cant wait untill I can get out and smell that ummmmmmm lovely country air again :) Putterbug to the rescue witht the tire pump. I bet that went over well :thumbright:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, the most comments I've gotten were that looks like a sport bike from front-- WOW, that's an automatic!--that's a fun looking ride- One lady in the group had a reflex at one point but they've just never seen a burgman I guess.

Now from the Goldwing group at the gas station, I could hear them whispering..."what is that, I can't tell" Then one lady come up and got a closer looked and yelled back, It's a Burgman scooter!. We got gas and pulled into a parking spot out of the way and went into the store, then they all went to look at the bikes. They were checking out the Volusia too.
The pack of Harley riders were looking too. These people are starting to give me a complex. Even had a few people at Whatburger that morning trying to break their necks looking at it.

Billy loves the storage on it. He hardly ever uses his own saddlebags. Just too much trouble to get into them. He has agreed to get me a backrest to replace the bum stop if I ride without it and like it better. Told him the price of the corbin seat and in a round about way, he said no.

Mike, you will have to tell about your concrete picnic table. That's dangerous.

Yes, the country smells. Also, I went on the highway. Never been comfortable enough to get on a busy highway but did yesterday. It was weird being behind a couple of big trucks getting sucked into the draft they cause. I was up to almost 85 at one point. We had to slow down to get out of the wind drag. But it was an experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

You'll get used to total strangers coming up to ask questions about the Burgman. Most of the people that want to check it out around here are not riders or haven't ridden in awhile. Once you go on a ride with the Southern Cruisers, thier respect for the Burgman will increase seeing that it'll perform well on the group rides.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,919 Posts
Great post Nancy. Thank you.
Myself? I love road stories....'specially your (or anyone's) part about the "harley/other bike pilots code/micellaneous ramblings/mumblings exclaimations" - if you will...(whatever that may be!!)
.....That's the quintessential thing about being "Burgerized" in a world filled with followers. Prsnly? (shhh - don't tell anyone i said this...!) I hope "the word" doesn't get out about our scoots. I like not seeing one at every corner (and I haven't - thank God!) I have never been "a bird of the feather that likes to flock together." Closest one that came was a silverwing about four months ago. :D

Yup - whippin into a stop n git it to get some go juice and a yoohoo nexta 5 other "regular bikes (harley choppers included)" would make my day for a month! :p I can't wait till that happens!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
The only thing I like about winter is that I forget about those "country" smells. After a while, you just get used to them :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
It's funny, I was raised up north, lived in the city, but my summers were spent up state on a dairy farm.
To this day I still like the "country smell" (if it's not to pungent). :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Nancy, Glad to hear that your having such a good time with the ride. Just think of all the great rides you have to look forward to in future. :wink:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top