Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
So if we take Michelin's own words and apply them to the Burgman 650, bias tires are the right technology:

Bias ply tires are good for:

• Small or medium-sized engines: Check (power to weight ratio for the B650 is mediocre)
  • Flexible chassis: Check
  • Moderate speed: Check
  • Heavy or heavily-loaded bikes: Check
Radial tires are good for:

• More powerful vehicles: Fail
  • Rigid chassis: Fail
  • High speeds: Fail
  • Sport bikes: fail

·
Administrator
18,757 Posts
Having used so many different tires in my motorcycle lifetime, I hated the old Bias Ply tires. They "Thumped" till warm and never had good rain grip. Then the radial tire came out for motorcycles and for the first few years they were junk, squrmie. Over time the manufactures have made great strides in improving the Bias Ply. I first ran a set on my 650 Burgman after two sets of stock radials. I went with Michlien Gold Standards and they were by far a better tire than the B'Stone BattleAx. When that rear tire wore out, I continued using a Gold Standard on front but went to the Darkside on the rear. I ran this mix of Bias front and CT radial rear ever since. The Gold Standards have been discontinued so I went Shinko Bias on front till I found, thru a member on here, Ebay had some GS's so I ordered two "Old Stock" Gold Standards. I am 3/4's thru the first one and have one on the shelf. When this last one is gone I will not buy another "old stock" GS as the manufacture date is too old.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Look at this Michelin City Grip Winter tire thread.
It sure does look close to a car tire thread pattern, doesn't it?

It also comes in 120/70-15, so it would be the perfect front tire as a companion to a car tire on the rear wheel.

·
Administrator
18,757 Posts
Erik, the picture was there till you edited it. Repost the link. But I do not think we can get that tire over here in USA'ville.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if we take Michelin's own words and apply them to the Burgman 650, bias tires are the right technology:

Bias ply tires are good for:

• Small or medium-sized engines: Check (power to weight ratio for the B650 is mediocre)
  • Flexible chassis: Check
  • Moderate speed: Check
  • Heavy or heavily-loaded bikes: Check
Radial tires are good for:

• More powerful vehicles: Fail
  • Rigid chassis: Fail
  • High speeds: Fail
  • Sport bikes: fail
To each his own, me view this completely opposite, as maxiscoot fit radial description well. That why all maxiscooter are engineer to have radial tire and come new from factory with radial front & rear, manufacture would use bias ply if better, especially that they cost less for OEM than radial.

As Michelin rear Pilot Sport SC radial no longer available here as discontinued now, me just purchase 4 Bstone Battlax from BMW stealership, cost $105.00 Canadian per tire, tax not included.

1 x TH01 F 120/70R15
3 x THO1R 160/60R14

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't see Bridgestone OEM Hoops anymore on Motorcycle Superstore.
My rear tire is bald. I would like to go dark side but I'm afraid I won't get it mounted.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see Bridgestone OEM Hoops anymore on Motorcycle Superstore.
My rear tire is bald. I would like to go dark side but I'm afraid I won't get it mounted.
Just verify @ motorcycle superstore, they availble

Battlax 120/70R15 TH01 Front = 87.99

Battlax 160/60R14 TH01 Rear = 114.99

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks but I don't see one in a 13" for a 400.
Impossible to know this as bike year and model not in you profile.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I like Dave am running the bias front Michelin. I'm on my last one & not sure what I'll try next time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts