Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the temp went about 45 and it was sunny resulting in my getting the Burgman out of it's shed and riding. Not a long ride, just a couple of hours tooling around on county roads but it let me get my head back into the proper zone. Better than dope. I always come back in from one of these rides chilled out for sure.

Doug (out in Kentucky)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
So far I've only missed 3 days to the weather this winter , The average day time temps have been 35 and some times slightly above that . Pretty much perfect riding weather for me , and so far I haven't had to use any of my new heated stuff . Once you have the proper gear you will kick yourself for all the years you wasted not riding in the winter . :banghead:

It's the best cure for cabin fever ever . I LOVE IT ! TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I've only missed 3 days to the weather this winter , The average day time temps have been 35 and some times slightly above that . Pretty much perfect riding weather for me , and so far I haven't had to use any of my new heated stuff . Once you have the proper gear you will kick yourself for all the years you wasted not riding in the winter . :banghead:

I do have the proper gear, my problem is that I have a bad heart (lived through 4 heart attacks, had Open Heart surgery, etc) and get chest pain if it is too cool for me riding. Seems that 45 degrees is the magic number. Now, if I could figure out a way to get heated air up to my face for me to breathe, I would probably be golden.

I used to ride right down to freezing. Didn't ride below that after the second time I hit black ice and went down. I am somewhat slow at times on these things, but figured after the second time I was pushing luck too far.

And Reaper, you are right - it is the best cure for cabin fever for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Taking a nice ride at least to me is what keeps me sane, that's why in the winter I'm a little nuts:p

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You don't wanna know what it's like in Los Angeles right now...

Went out this morning dressed for 40s-50s, as it has been, and poof... 70s. Darn near was sweating with all the cold weather gear I had on. Not complaining, but it's a pain switching between the various gear options. Just wish the weather would make up its mind. Lol. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts

Never had winter riding clothes because my Harley would never start in temps below 40 degrees. Now, with the fuel injected 650 Burgy, it's always ready to go. Thinking about buying snow mobile bibs - good choice or not?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If it will work on a snowmobile it will probably work on a motorcycle to a degree . That said it depends on how cold it is and how long you're going to be out . Your fingers and toes need extra protection , either heated garments or some thing like Hot Hands hand warmers . I won't ride without my Hippo Hands when it's 50 degrees F or below , at 30 or below I won't ride without some form of heat . If my toes are warm my feet are warm , so I concentrate on my toes and not so much with my feet . Know going in that every thing you wear has a breaking point , also areas that have less protection like your helmet , ankles and the back of your neck have to have extra protection . I would suggest you ride around the block and test your stuff out , you'll find the weak points in short order .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thinking about buying snow mobile bibs - good choice or not?
Shucks, I would go ahead and get the snowmobile suit if I were you. I have some bibs- two pair of them even- but I prefer the suit and it's not high dollar either as I think I only paid around $80 for it.

When it is in the 30's or so I put on warm boots, blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Over the shirt my Gerbing heated jacket liner. Then over that I slip on the snowmobile suit. For my hands I wear ski gloves as that's all I need with my heated grips. I may or may not have a thin balaclava under my helmet depending on how cold it is and how far I am going. Under 50 miles I usually don't bother.

But since the suit is designed to keep out wind it works really well on cold days riding the Burgman. I may get some funny looks at times from the cagers but that's OK. Part of the fun of cold weather riding I suppose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts