Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Burgman 650 and just love. But I have a burning desire for a Gondwing and I know there are a lot of the members hear who have had both. I would like to hear a bought the pro's and con's about the Goldwing I do not want to go to the Goldwing site because I think they would be a little slanted for the Goldwing I think I would keep the 650 to because I just love it. I'm wondering if the biger tires make a differance and things like that? Thank You Mert

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Mert, the GL1800s have a lot of smooth power, are very comfortable, have the best passenger comfort, handle good for a big bike, , lots of goodies to buy, and are great for open road cruising. However, they are very big, heavy, and pretty expensive to buy and operate. Operating one at low speeds requires constant attention. If you ride on larger open roads two up all the time, it is the bike to have. Since I do neither, I would raather have a fully equiped 650. They are are much easier to deal with for all around riding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a GW for years and put almost 100k on it. I enjoyed it for the most part. But after riding the 650 for a while, I would hate to have to go back to holding up that big 900# machine in traffic!

If I was going to ride coast to coast I would want a GW for the comfort. But if I was going to do a lot of riding within 50 miles of home and "some" touring each year, I would prefer the 650.

Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Goldwing is a great bike. As for ride quality, it is about the difference between a Cadillac and a tractor - for comfort it is hard to beat a Wing.

I bought a brand new one back in the mid-eighties. I was so proud. Then I started riding with a Goldwing rider's association chapter. Well, everyone else in the group had thousands of dollars of chrome and accessories on their wings. Very little performance stuff - mostly show trim and comfort items. It made me feel kind of inferior. So I eventually started dressing mine up. I never really liked my bike as much after that. The requisit rider floorboards and heel and toe shifter felt awkward compared to the standard pegs and shifter for instance. If I ever do buy another one, I will keep it pretty close to stock. But it would have to be a used one - I can't afford the new pricetag these days. And I'd avoid the Goldwing "culture". Riding with an open faced helmet and a denim vest with 192 different "event" pins stuck in it isn't my idea of good riding gear anymore. And unlike our group, which freely discusses other models of scooters and motorcycles, I found the Goldwing group to have a very narrow focus. It has been years, so maybe some of that has changed, but I rather doubt it.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I own both, a Burgman 650 and a 1500 GW. I ride the 650 the most. If I'm doing a long trip and maybe camping I'll take the wing, by long I mean 1000 to 1500 miles. I put about 8000 miles on the 650 and about 3000 on the wing in the last year.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A good friend of mine is a Honda mechanic and enthusiest with many, many Hondas. He recently traded off his 1500 for an 1800 and told me that there is simply no comparison, big words from him.

The 1800 is basically a 750Lb sportbike. He told me he could keep up with 90% of the crotch rockets out there, even in the curves. He owns a Ducati so he knows of what he speaks. .

I since have talked to three other folks that traded up to the 1800 and all of them echoed my buddy's statement.

The teething problems were overheating at low speed (but not a stop, ironically) which was fixed by an ECU upgrade, and a chassis weld that was improperly welded at the factory. The design was sound, but the manufacturing engineers changed the way the weld was done and the weld didn't hold as well as it should have. Both issues have been fixed, and both are fully warranted.

Now all of that being said, unless I was going to do 20K plus Interstate touring per year, I wouldn't bother. It's a purpose build bike, and I simply have no need for a machine that big or that capable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My last bike was a wing, and to echo what has been said above, the wing is a great bike, nothing beats it for touring, but around town it can be a little much. It is alot like the folks who drive fully decked out convertion vans or small RVs everyday to work, sure they get them around, but is it the best tool for the job?

·
Registered
226 Posts
As everyone else said a big bike is not much fun around town. It can be done when your Burgman is in the shop or 1000 miles away. But if you want to do some serious traveling a big bike is the only way to go. Don't think the Honda is the only player though. After much research we decided on a BMW K1200LT. BMW beat the Wing in the last MCN review of touring bikes. Only the second time in 20 years so that says a lot for the Goldwing. You get a few more things for your intial dollar with the K1200LT, but maintance on the BMW may be higher unless you DIY. Some here may say add the Harley Ultra Glide to the list and we did. Rode it 800 miles in 3 days and was impressed but for touring really does not compare to the BMW or Honda. (OK HD guys I'm wearing the new Burgman wings so go ahead and shoot me down) Check all of them out before you decide. The Voyager may work for you at half the price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Goldwing is a very specific motorcycle.....
riding two up or not, Its all about comfort, and good handeling with the 1800........
Its for long stretches of straight road...
Don't let the marketing hype get you into thinkin' this is a "bike which can keep up with the Sport bikes"
Honda marketing wants to get younger riders interested in the Goldwing.
Ride this monster at full tilt in the twistees for 10 miles and you will feel as if your body and brain are on overload.
For me this is the bike for gettin on the interstate and ridin from dawn to dusk..
I like the Burgman for ridin on the interstate short distances, gettin off and ridin the back country 'black top' roads..
Two up ,its perfect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Own both

I own both a 2003 Burgman and a 2001 GW 1800. My thoughts are about the same as most of the others. For the most part I prefer the ease of handling of the Burgman, but there's nothing like the GW when you're out for 200 miles or more. You can ride the GW all day without much more effort than driving your car.
Bruce

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't ridden the 1800 - but the 1100, 1200 and 1500's are more stable and comfortable for 2-up touring than a Burgman, mostly because they are heavier. I didn't like the original 1000's - they weren't purpose built as tourers, and I was into Yamaha and Kawasaki 2-stroke multis at the time.

The passenger's weight ratio to the bike is less on a Gold Wing, so any fidgeting they do affects it less. Also - The Gold Wing seats are more comfortable (except on the 1000's), and they go a lot farther on a fill up. For stop and go traffic though - they are more of a handfull. The larger wheels also roll over holes and such smoother.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I put a lot of miles on a GL-1000 with Vetter Windjammer. Loved that bike. That was 30 years ago.

If I had $30,000 or so spare cash laying around I'd buy a 30th Anniversary Goldwing today. But I don't. So the Burgman does the job for me.

Like the respondents above, I'd keep the Burgman for the majority of my riding, and save the Goldwing for the really long hauls. The larger tires, the "touring optimized" seats, all the gadgets (reverse, auto-leveling, factory stereo/intercom/CB, etc., etc.), and so on make it a long distance cruisers dream.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Goldwing vs Burgman

My wife and I rode both the GL1100 and GL1500. We belonged to both GWRRA and GWTA and attended many rallys and meetings. We took a 3000 mile trip from Iowa to Montana and Iowa to the Smokeys. For interstate driving and pulling cargo trailers you couldnt beat it. We even had sidecars attached to both and took the kids. For long days going from state to state I felt the Wing was the way to go. As far as expenses for upkeep and insurance that is one reason we sold both of the bikes and decided to get out of riding for a while since both kids were busy with school activites and such. Last year we both purchased the Burgman 650 and the wife attached the Texas sidecar to hers( see gallery). The Burgman 650 has everything the older wings had and even more. They are easier to hold up and get around town. We both just got back from a 2200 mile Wisconsin State tour from top to bottom and took mostly two lane and back roads. No more shifting ! Very good performance. Smooth exceleration. Much cheaper to maintain and insure. Just hop on the scoot and go. Will they go down the interstate like a Wing, in my opinion for a short period yes. All day everyday No. The Wing is the king for that. Our trip to Wisconsin was really fun and we stopped in 2 rivers at a Hog rally and many of the Harley riders at the Motel couldnt believe that we had ridden the scooters 2200 miles. They thought we had trailered them I guess. We even had our sister in law with us on her Helix with a Verlorex attached to it. Hope my comments have helped.

Helix :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've owned three goldwings over a twenty-five year period. An 1100, 1200 Limited Edition, and most recently a 1500. For two up touring over long distances, especially with a group they are great. What I enjoyed most was the communications (intercom, CB, radio, etc). The luggage space is also great for long distance touring. I also pulled a trailer with the 1200 and 1500 and both bikes had the power and weight to do that easily. The 1500 also had a reverse gear and cruise control, which made the bike a great touring package.

The problem for me was that almost all of my riding buddies have sold their bikes and my wife does not like to go on the long trips anymore. Thus, I had a 900 pound touring bike that I only took out about six times a year. A few months ago I traded the 1500 and trailer in on a Burgman 650. I take the 650 out about six times a week and love it. The bike is powerful and heavy enough for serious road travel yet light enough to drive easily in town and on ferries. The automatic transmision is also a great alternative, especially in traffic. With a top box, the 650 has as much luggage space as the goldwing and my wife says the seat is more comfortable.

So for a 63 year old guy it made sense to go for a lighter, more fuel efficient, and sportier ride. I loved my goldwings, but don't do long distance tourning anymore, so the Burgman is a much better vehicle and really a blast to drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two years ago this fall I bought a new Gold Wing and Angel bought a new Burgman 650. As of April this year we had put over 20k miles on the bikes. April 1st we upgraded Angel's ride to a Gold Wing Trike and since we returned from a 9,000 summer trip, I am having my Wing Triked which will solve a lot of the problems mentioned above.

The Wings are great for our situation but I would agree that if you not into long distance touring there are other options such as super scooters that would fit your needs better than an 800lb $20,000 Gold Wing.

We left the Burgy on consignment with our local dealer this summer but it didn't sell. It is now advertised on the Classified Board. Super deal for someone wanting a good used 03 650

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gold Wing

I've had two brand new Gold Wings in my past. A 1984 Aspencade 1200 and a 1989 1500, both were very comfortable on long distances for a motorcycle. However, with the most rarest exception (driving a Yugo?) an ordinary car is by far more comfortable than any Gold Wing.

My excuse in the past was that the Gold Wing at least got better MPG than my cars, not so anymore. I purchased a used 2004 fully equipt Toyota Prius with 12K miles for $20,500. I call it my 4 wheel Gold Wing, it cost about the same as a brand new Wing but gets far better economy, my average for the last 7K miles has been 50 MPG US.

The Prius is not the most comfortable car I've ever owned but it far exceeds any motorcycle I've owned in the area of comfort, safety and storage. I know this is a motorcycle/scooter forum and I'm not trying to sell anyone on a Prius. But since some here would suggest that a Gold Wing may be the closest thing to a two-wheeled car, I thought I'll remind some of you, what's out there.

As I have stated in the past, to me, the Burgman AN650 is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. It does so many things so well in the motorcycle/scooter world. I now have over 8K miles on mine and it seems to get better with age. My gas mileage has improved as well, my average is now nearly 54 MPG US.

Compared to my first year of ownership (2003) was only 48 MPG US, second year of ownership (2004) was 52 MPG US.

The intergraded storage system is outstanding for a two-wheeled vehicle. Yes there are some areas that could use improvements which is a personal matter. I've added a Givi wind shield and plan to upgrade that to a Clear View in the future. I also added a Givi backrest for my passenger and then later added a Utopia Backrest for my self (great comfort here). I have added Kuryakin Iso grips and a Vista cruise throttle lock. I just got a Air Hawk seat cushion for $147, with free delivery last week and will test that, so far so good. Last year I got the Bead Rider seat covers for both of us, wife likes hers, but I'm not too comfortable with it on all rides especially the ones longer than 50 miles.

I may upgrade my seat to an after market one like the Corbin (good history with me). I believe that after time most stock seats get old with constant use and comfort slowly diminishes over time. Of course I'll be on the lookout for anything new from Suzuki, Honda or any other major marque scooter/motorcycle makers. But for now, the Burgman in my book, is the best game in town.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow - I know south Florida is flatter than the Texas hill country - but I haven't been able to get over 45mpg from a tank on my 650. My 1998 Bandit 1200 made tons more power, and got about the same mpg (smaller surface in the wind).

The Daimler-Chrysler "Smart" cars get up to 70mpg, and they aren't even hybrids. I feel that something in the Burgman 650's powertrain is robbing fuel efficiency - and I think it's the wet gear final drive.

http://www.smart.com/-snm-0150526428-11 ... 7kw%2epage

I drove a Smart cabrio about 5 years ago - and I would buy one in a heartbeat for commuting - if they would sell them here...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 1800 Goldwing. It's a great bike for all the reasons posted above. If you want a machine that has most anything you could want on it or offered as an option the Goldwing is a good choice. The 1800 are light years ahead of the other models 1500, 1200, or 1100. In order to get all these goodies you will have to handle a bike that weighs 900 lbs, harder to maneuver slow speed and in town, has a manual shift tranny which means clutching and shifting at every traffic light, and cost more than twice as much as the 650 burgman. I also have a Honda reflex scooter that’s great for many aspects of riding. In conclusion, if you can have both bikes I think you would be happy with both. IMHO
Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Gold Wing and the Burg are two complete different things.
I have always ridden GL's (have an '04 now) and this is my first motorSCOOTER.......and I love it. BUT, as I say, there is absolutely nothing to compare them. :roll:

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts