Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this on http://www.motorcycle.com

"Honda has recently announced (1/28/2005) the recall of nearly 35,000 Gold Wings (model years 2001-2004) for inspection and possible repair of frame welds.

This recall expands the number of Gold Wing model years covered by frame weld recalls.

From the official recall notice:

DEFECT SUMMARY:

On some motorcycles, certain frame welds do not meet manufacturing specifications. High loads created when riding on rough road surfaces or through potholes can cause the affected welds to crack.

CONSEQUENCE SUMMARY:

The welded area could break, resulting in rear suspension collapse or lower cross member separation, increasing the risk of a crash.

CORRECTIVE SUMMARY:

Dealers will inspect and, if necessary, reinforce the welds on 2001-2002 motorcycles. On 2003-2004 motorcycles, the units will be repaired, no inspection will be necessary.

The recall is expected to begin on February 15, 2005.

Owners should contact Honda at 1-866-784-1870."

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, I heard about this. This is the second recall of the GW1800 - the last recall effected 8000 bikes or so, so the scale this time is massive. Honda is making a few mistakes here and there (they also recalled the SilverWing and STX1300 Pan-European) but one thing they are good at is facing the music. This way, public inconvenience is effected as opposed to mass loss of confidence in the brand.

Not the best way to market a flagship though - a machine that costs as much as the GW18 should have a frame that is up to the job. I'd still buy one.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed they have also been recalling quite a few cars lately as well. And yes it is true that they seem to be very up front about the problems. They still have a good reputation but just not as spotless as it once was.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The numerous recalls on the Honda Silverwing scooter really turned me off initially. I believe there have been 3 or 4. But after a couple of years of living with Suzuki, I'm not so down on Honda. Suzuki should have had several recalls between the AN650 and the DL1000 that I own. Definitely wheel bearings on the AN650, and clutch basket on the DL1000 at a minimum. But they deny and hide from these problems. Honda, without question, operates at a higher level of integrity. I love Suzuki products, but I have no respect for the company as a whole. I respect Honda, but their product line doesn't push my buttons. I've had good experiences with Kawasaki, but their product line also is void where my current interests are concerned. I don't trust Yamaha much more than Suzuki.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish Suzuki would stop building bikes that I can't resist, and that Honda or Kawasaki would build a few. :?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would agree Honda "appears" to be better at issuing recalls than Suzuki. However, Honda like most manufactures, can be slow about issuing recalls. If I remember correctly, it took Honda 3 to 4 years and a lot of complianing by "some" GL1800 owners to get Honda to recall and change the current year production model for overheating. I believe this frame issue has been around for some time (note the model years mentioned).

I would "ready" like to see a Suzuki recall on the bearing issue on the 650s. But until there is more than the few reports we are aware of and there is a lot of complaining by 650 owners, I would bet Suzuki, like Honda, will not issue one until then.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't think Honda is much different then any other large manufacture

First 6 corporate steps to running a profitable company.

1- Find out about a problem before the public (if possible)-
2- call a meeting see if it can be ignored -
3- decide what law suits are likely to cost -
4- figure out what a recall will cost -
5 - factor in public image damage control -
6- Take the cheapest way out -

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I agree with Paul. Honda are being responsible and standing behind their products - sure the recalls do have an adverse effect on the uninformed so it must be damaging to some extent - however I certainly see it as a strength along the lines of - hey we messed up and we are going to put it right!

Suzuki have adopted what I call the 'ostrich engineering approach' - and we all know what that means don't we. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts