Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding on a new bike to replace wife and my bikes which we bought in 1996. Looking at the Burgman 400. I am short 5.3 and it seems still ok to use when I tried the seat. I also sat on a friend's 650 and it seemed to wide for a comfortable ride. My wife felt that it was just to much bike to go to from the 49cc machines we have been driving up to now. I guess she is nervous of the weight and biggness of the cycle. Any other men who have had the same kind of move up to the bigger machine and how the ladies liked the experience afterwards? She would like to get another 49cc for herself or at most the 125cc new Vino Yamahas. Your comments appreciated.
Thanks
Oh and now comes the hard part, selling the old machines and finding a few bikes here to buy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we do have folks your height riding 400s and enjoying it. I'm also confident that they will respond with some feedback for you. This a a great group of riders!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there neighbour.........ok your 2 hrs away but thats why we have Burgmans :D Welcome to the forum! I know Rod and Lis from Hamilton went from Honda 250s to the 650 and both are not regretting it one bit. As matter of fact I wouldnt hesitate to say that the 400 would probably feel even more stable to you and your wife over your older smaller scooter. The only time you will notice the weight of the Burgman is if you drop it or putting it up on the center stand (still an easy task).
Hopefully you will get confirmation of this from some of our women riders.
Byrna help these people out! TweetyPie where are you as well?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Will do, Allan! :)

Michael, I'm 5'1" and my last ride was a 50cc or so Honda Elite about 20 years ago. At first, the 400 did seem big but really the adjustment to its size came very easily once I compared it to trad motorcycles of comparable size (250-650cc range). The dealer kindly delivered our Burgie early one Saturday afternoon--by that evening around 5, I was riding it to a restaurant about 8 miles away (and back) and feeling pretty comfortable.

Also, with the seat, I find I feel more secure and comfortable with the driver's backrest adjustment in the fully forward position. Try that and you should be able to flat-foot the 400 or come pretty close. (You also may want to test this in the showroom by wearing the riding boots/hiking boots you'd wear to ride.) Bear in mind, low-speed maneuvers will also make the bike feel bigger than it is until you're used to them. :)

Hope this helps--best of luck!

Bryna aka Short Woman (and newly licensed rider :D )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Got the wife pretty much used to the idea now. She's taller by a few inches than I am and she sat comfortably on our friend's 650. Still too much weight though with that bike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too much weight, the 650?

Not once it's in motion. Sure, it's a bear to maneuver at a standstill -- especially backing it out of a space or a garage -- but once you're moving, it feels very light and agile.

It took me no time at all to adapt to it. My previous ride was a KYMCO People 150, a much smaller bike with larger wheels/tires, and the Burgman 650 is *far* more stable and *far* more predictable.

PWB

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hi, Michael, welcome to the forum!

My transition was from an 80cc Honda Elite scooter to a Burgman 400. At very low speeds, it's undeniably noticeable that the Burgie weighs more, is taller, and has a different center of gravity.

For the first several months I owned it, I suffered from a niggling suspicion that the Burgie was too big for me. Then I attended a basic motorcycle rider class, and discovered I had the same problems at low speeds with the short, small Kawasaki motorcycle that was provided. Lesson learned: It wasn't that my Burgie is too large, it was that my skills needed work.

Spending those 2 hot, tiring, challenging and invaluable days being repeatedly drilled on handling a bike during low-speed maneuvers did wonders for my confidence and only increased my opinion of my Burgman. My husband and I highly recommend the class to you and your wife. Learn what the rider coaches teach you, and NO bike will ever be too big.

What kind of riding do you folks wish to do? City streets, or highways?

Best wishes,
Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
MSF BRC

I took the MSF BRC last year; rode a Yamaha TW225 enduro bike and passed the skills assessment handily.

The Burgman (400 and 650) are a different beast -- much lower center of gravity, more powerful, and of course, CVT-equipped rather than geared.

IMHO, if you can pass the MSF basic course's skills assessment on a TW225 or one of the various cruisers (Honda Rebel, 'Zuki 250cc, Hyosung 250cc V-twin, etc.) or the Ninja 250, you're capable of riding either Burgman competently and safely.

PWB

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Re: MSF BRC

pboyer said:
IMHO, if you can pass the MSF basic course's skills assessment on a TW225 or one of the various cruisers (Honda Rebel, 'Zuki 250cc, Hyosung 250cc V-twin, etc.) or the Ninja 250, you're capable of riding either Burgman competently and safely.
If you can pass the MSF Basic Rider Course, you will be a much safer Burgman rider. I also suggest practicing the same maneuvers from the BRC on your Burgman. Better to practice in a parking lot somewhere than make a mistake on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

In Jan. 2004 my husband and I got two 49cc scooters this was the first time I had ever ridden a two wheel vechile that you didn't have to pedal. We enjoyed them so much that in April we moved up to the Burgman 400. Until about two weeks ago I was sure the bike was just to big for me I am 5 3. But due to the investment we had made in two bikes and continueing to read this forumn I continued to ride. Today I have few problems with the bike and really enjoy getting out on it. I am taking the MSF at the end of the month and I hope that this will only increase my confidence levels. We are planning to partisapate in a poker run to raise money for a local children's charity on the 17th of July. A big step for me. Once you get use to the scooters size I think you will love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts