Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21000km. 2014. a worlds difference between my 90000km pos one. he says its a black matte. I hate matte paint. im worried its the grey matte. I hope not. I will have no choice but to add a clear coat. matte absorbs light and hence doesnt show form and light properly. he currently has a short black sports screen. the garage is holding the oem one which I asked for to swap. I do enjoy the oem one even though the buffeting some have noted. im ok with it.

anyways. i spoke to the garage the owner does his maintenance at. he says he will do a cvt check for me. but he will NOT do a compression check!! why? he says unnecessary. the burgman has some back flow thingy and it corrects itself.or something like that. anyone know if this is true?

no need to check the engine? just listen to it and be done? im very nervous. the guy sounds shady. price is a bit low. I luckily caught one 400 I went on the train to see uptown and heard the rough sound of the crank bearings failing.

there are so many shady people here. they disconnect the odometer cables on the rides and you wouldnt know. who the hell know if this guy swapped an ecu from a wreck that says 21000km. im so nervous.

the last 2 bikes I bought didnt hold for more than a year before the engine died.
I was ready to go see a maxsym 600 tomorrow, but the garage he services at cant help me. the owner who does the pre buy check is in the hospital.

im desperate for a ride. I cant ride on the highway anymore. its too dangerous.

look at the image. that exhaust looks too rusty for 21000km....no?

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I think I remember a procedure for the compression test on a 08 400 in the service manual, maybe you can find the service manual on line, see if there is a compression test and if there is , there's your bullcrap flag.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you can test compression on it. and it makes me wonder if its 21000km and if its in good condition

tomorrow ill know better. ill see with my eyes. somehow I feel like im making a mistake. but I dont know till I go. its his garage he serviced at. and who the heck knows if he has his back, is friends with him and if the 21000 is legit. I have 0% trust for every person around me. period. ill go see it. ill look at the instrument cluster plastic. that will tell me wear. the exhaust can be just surface rust. its 6 years old. ill check for leaks under and check rust on the chassis although the burgmans are very prone to rusting on the chassis.

ill also check variator plates. they usually tire around 40000km. ill bring calipers to check the belt width. and check rollers and needle bearing of clutch

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I'd be real interested to learn about a back flow thingy that can correct for a burnt valve on a bike, (with a sports screen on it) Wear your waders when you go, the poop may be deep.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
791 Posts
Likely an auto decompression pin on the cam shaft that drops the compression to ease starting common on a lot of large singles. Not a 400 Guru but expect it has one but as noted there would be a procedure to allow a compression check. I would make sure the bike is cold when you get there start it up and once the steam from the exhaust clears rev it and look for any blue smoke. 21k is not a lot the rust can be down to age it is almost 6 years old and may not live in a garage and weather conditions for the area can contribute. Most exhausts and centre stands rust as they are heavily exposed to the elements. I would check the wiring, battery condition etc and a test ride is a must. If the engine has any odd sounds walk away. If you are meeting at his place and buy it do a bank transfer or take a large friend who has license to carry if you are taking cash :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
god dammit, youre smart maccecht. no disrespect to the other very sharp folks here who really know their stuff. thats exactly what he explained. I know the sound of the healthy engine so will listen and watch for smoke.

I thought it may be from sitting outdoors. tomorrow ill be smarter and well see a better picture. if its 21000 true km, ill be happy. I dont think anyone can be that much of an idiot to mess up such a young engine. unless they didnt fill enough oil. OTOH, there are 3 owners in total, ill be 4 and no maintenance records from what I understand
will bring calipers for cvt belt and micro meter to check thickness of discs .check for grooves/lip
fingers crossed. I remember previously looking for a maxi scooter and wanting the b650 (new to burgmans)and conceding with the 400. and here again, I wanted the maxsym 600 and conceding again with the 400. maybe. I hope its black and not gray. gray is not a color. its a tone.
at least I know flaws and what to fix with issues. and to do maintenance.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that didnt finalize. the bike looked ok. black matte. but a dark charcoal really. not gray
the guy has little service history. for a 21000km scooter, this is odd. also 3 owners for 21000km seems odd. for so long ive been without a bike and definitely do want one, I want to choose one that I come and see and feel really excited. I felt suspicious of the guy.I did research and saw the garage owner who didnt want to do a compression test works with a shop that sells parts and engines from wrecked bikes. I bought one for my joyride 200cc. it didnt hold a year. they have a a bad reputation among people.yes there are other garages but that whole area where he lives has crappy people. I felt he was not being transparent. playing it off like he didnt know the condition about the bike or anything I asked. "this is the scooter, it has 2 wheels."

I told him ill pass. Im happy with myself that I didnt get it just to have something.
time to keep looking. im going to try and find a maxsym 600. then fix my old burgman.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like the right choice. I interview the owner as much as the bike and if they come across as dishonest and know little of the bike they are selling just like your scenario I walk away.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The cam has a centrifugal lifter that opens the exhaust valve at very low revs so that it is easier to spin on the starter Until it is going fast enough to start.

The lifter moves to become invisible once things are moving.
So if you turn the engine by hand you don’t get compression.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
look at this scooter thats on fb in the uk. 15000miles. more or less the same. no rust at all on the exhaust. thats definitely a sign it did more than 21000km. this guy was dishonest.
maybe swapped an ecu that had lower mileage? thats a nice color too.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts