Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Burgman 400 and I'm still practicing on neighborhood streets. So far I've only had positive questions/comments about the Burgman. (Except for some comments by my 20 something year old employees :roll: , but I can handle them.) No harassment yet like Scooter Mom.

But I find myself unsure of what to call the Burgman.

"I can't wait for tomorrow. The weather is suppose to be nice and I'm going to take my Bike/Scooter out."
If I say scooter, they think I have a Vespa. If I say bike, they ask what I have. When I tell them a Suzuki Burgman, they think I have a crotch rocket which is not my style at all. So then I find myself saying a "Suzuki Burgman which is a super scooter that can go about 95mph..........." I have to explain what I mean. So my quick comment about riding turns into a lengthy discussion.

Please help this newcomer get the lingo straight. :oops:

Stacey-

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Stacey,

They are relatively new to the market, and they are quite different from both traditional scooters and motorcycles. So most people just aren't going to readily understand what you are talking about. I took a 1000 mile trip on my Burgman 650 through rural Kansas this week. Every person that saw the big scooter was seeing one for the first time. Most were quite impressed with it, but frankly, if I had landed in front of them in a UFO they wouldn't have been much more surprised! :lol:

I've described mine as a "Super Scooter", as a "Step Through Motorcycle", and as a "Touring Scooter". Frankly, after putting over 16,000 miles on mine, I'm still not sure what to call it. But I do know that it is probably the best two wheeled vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We just refer to ours as a "scooter". If anyone wants to take it further with questions about our scooter, they most often go away enlightened about this 650 cc beast that has us smiling. Otherwise, we are quite happy if they have a mind picture of the two of us on one of the little 50cc buzzers that zoot and scoot around, we know what we have.

Its a different thing when people see us on it. What is this? And we help them find out.

Sure, we get a mixed reaction from the sports bike people, but by and large, sports bikes are being ridden solo, our outings are team events.

Our bike is hugely successful in making our trips a smooth pleasure - that's what counts - does this bike do it for you??? If it does, happiness.

Regards

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stimmons you sound exactly like me. I too just bought a Burgman 400. I also am practicing on the streets in and near my neighborhood. And I am also trying to explain to the "younger" guys at work what type bike I got. I told them it was a scooter but it looks like a sport bike in the front, can do around 95 mph, gets 60 to 70 mpg, insurance rate (for me) is 159.oo a year full coverage and it has tons of storage so that if I wanted to ride it to work I could very easily. They are still skeptical with what I tell them. It is like you said when you say "scooter" they in their mind picture something like a Zuma which sounds like a bumble bee when it is wide open and only doing 35 to 40 mph (whatever the top speed is). But hey I don't care. I love my Burgman and they just don't know what they are missing. Congrats on your new Burgman and hope you have fun.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you call it a motorcycle, then you hear folks say dismissively, "yeah, but it's not like a real motorcycle, it has an automatic transmission, you can step through it, yadda, blah, blah, yadda." Who wants to listen to that rapcay?

I call mine a scooter. If anyone wants details, great. Then they often say, "Oh, it's a motorcycle that just looks like a scooter...but it's really a motorcycle." I reply, "I think of it as a scooter." and that typically ends the matter.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I cannot recall anyone challenging or questioning me on this subject but I guess if they exposed their ignorance to me I would respond that they cannot be that interested in motorcyling if they ain't abreast of the cutting edge in developments! :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I referred to my Silverwing as a touring scooter- to the Reflex as a maxi-scoot or just "it's a 250cc scooter"-

The Vino 125 we call the 'scoot'- sometimes I think it's the one that surprised folks the most when they see if buzzing through traffic at 40mph with no problems (and throttle to spare...)

My husband, being the prankster he is, wanted to get me a t-shirt when I owned the Silverwing and the Virago 535 that said -

"Wanna race? Let me go home and get my scoot..."

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Well thanks to this thread I have come to a decision, I have never liked the name scooter apply to the Burgman.
I don't like calling it a bike, that's like calling a Goldwing just a bike !
Super Scooter and Touring Scooter sound Ok but it's like your trying to upgrade a Vespa..
No matter what you say there will be discussion so from now on I will use the phase Step Through Motorcycle And I think that comes about as close as you can get to a true description. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Tell them it is a "top secret prototype bike" and if you tell them anything else you will have to KILL them. It is amazing how quickly they will stop asking questions.

Janine :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Motorcycles are a class, but when asked what kind of motorcylce
we get into crusier, sport, etc....
Manufactures define our .........as scooters .Its the class...
step through and small tires.......
and the subclass is maxi-scooters, unoffically....

Motorcycle manfactures have already made automatic trans. motorcycles (hondamatic and others such as Ridley Motorcycles)

The g-Strider and the Griffon are not scooters in any way....they are motorcycles.......

I like to give the displacement......
a 650cc motorbike with 14" 15" tires , blurs the definition of scooters...

The future : Clutches will disappear..electrics and hydrogen will arive (as lond as the oil industry can make a profit there) and Harleys will be in museums, all within 50 years...
just as film has been all but replaced by digital
and my vinyl records have all been replaced by CD's
Who hasn't bought the Bealtles White Album at least in 3 different formats

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just keep a straight face and tell them it's a 400 or 650cc Moped.

When they see it they can try to figure it out, ask questions, or tell you it's a "bike".

Does it really matter what they think?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hey 4D:

Your sense of humor is almost as warped as mine. :eek:

Must be all those years dealing with college students :roll:

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL 4dThinker! Hahaha.
I have called mine a "scooter" since I got it and let people upgrade it according to their own impressions as they see fit. Most are pretty impressed! I have no problem with trying to bolster my apparent testosterone levels by qualifing this thing as a bike, motorcycle, etc etc. My bald spot already speaks volumes for me, so I am content!
Although I must admit I do have the childish urge to demonstrate it's speed capabilities when people go to pass me with disdain in their eyes ( well, perceived disdain since all I see is their front tires ) and I launch forward a few car lengths to set the record straight. Owned!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What to call it...

My husband calls it a Cotormycle (pronunciation: SO TOR MYCAL) Instead of motorcycle. I kinda like it. 4D has a great idea though...I just might take the 6 off and race some of the neighborhood crotchrockets! :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a fellow the other day when I was parking the 400 asked me what it was and I said it's a scooter. He said "how fast will it go" and I replied "they say it will top out at about 95" ( because I've never had it that fast) and he said "that's not a scooter, that a motorcycle" and I said I guess it's a motorcyle in scooter chothes. I guess technically the 400 is a scooter, smaller than 15 inch wheels, step thru design, swingarm mounted
engine ect. and the 650 would techincally be a step thru motorcycle since it has a frame mounted engine. :roll: But you know what "who cares"
The SCRG folks that I've been riding with call my 400 a scooter and that's ok and now that they know I can not only keep up with them, but they have trouble keeping up with me. Example, We went on a 120 mile ride a couple of weeks ago I was right behind the leader and he knew all the back roads and twisty's to get us there with out going though the towns and when we arrived we stopped at a store to get something cold to drink and one of the guys riding a 1200cc harley said "you know, I don't mind riding with a guy with a scooter, but what I do mind is not being able to keep up with him" and or course everyone got a big laugh out of it, and then about a week later at thier mouthly meeting one of the guys was telling that story, another one of the guys who wasn't on that trip, but was on a previous ride that I had been on said "hell we can't keep up with him, we are consistanly laging behind a half mile or so.
That made me feel really good. On that day I had riden my 150cc Bajaj Lengend to the meeting and my wife rode the 400 ( It's only about a mile or so to where they hold thier meeting) and when we were about to leave I started the Lengend and rode it over next to the guy who had said that (Bob) and he looked at me a grinned and said " I think I can take you on that one"
So no matter what you call it, Scooter, Super Scooter, step thru motorcycle or whatever they will soon see that whatever it is, it will do everything thier motorcycles will do and then some. I think that the lower center of gravity, smaller wheels, auto tranny are part of the reason. And all this from the 400, imagine what they would think with a 650. :wink:

I dicided that since I'm telling about this I might as well tell the other thing that happened with the 400. My wife and I were on the 400 on a fourlane divided highway where the speed limit is 60mph thru that part of it and there was a cage running along at about 45 in the outside lane, so we got over in the inside lane and started around him and as soon as he seen us going around him he sped up "It was like hey I ain't gonna like no scooter pass me" anyway since he started trying to do that I guess to late we were around him and back in the outside lane before he could keep it from happening. So we are cliping along at about 65mph and this clown couldn't stand it so he floorboards it and pass's us and pulls back in the outside lane in front of us and then slows down to about 50. I told my wife to hang on and I went to the other lane to go around him and he floorboards it and when we went by him I noticed the speedo read 85 and we were around him and way ahead of him in just a little bit even though he tried to keep us from it. I knew that the 400 could do that with just me on it, but I was very impressed with the accelleration with both of us on it.
It might not do that against a sports car but it certainly handles most cages very well. Don't underestamate The 400 Burgman

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I like the term Megascooter. I find it very 21st century. :D
ststiles, watch playing tag with cages. I've come across a couple on the roads before that it's just best to be on a different road than they are on.
When it comes to pure out and out racing, they go faster than my 400 and some folks just are not good sports. In fact, I have this theory on inbreeding... ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I usually just call my 650 a scooter. I also have a 50cc Zuma, and I call it a scooter too. I'll normally let other people worry about what they think. If it raises questions, and I feel inclined to talk - then I'll mention that the Burgman has a 650cc, watercooled, twin cylinder, fuel injected engine, an electronically controlled constantly variable transmission, and a lot of cargo capacity. But sometimes I just smile and scoot away... :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts