1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
well, here there are two sides of story:

1.- fossil related companies that are investing millions of USD in research to prove that the global warming is not produced by fossil fuels, there is a lot of literature about that where you will find a name that keeps popping up: Chevron.

2.- regular people and non-state actors are trying to raise awareness about the problem, the drill down is as follows:

2a.- they who think there is no problem as some have already said that the world climate has been there and we are in the loop where is hotter.

2b.-people who think and including myself, who think the problem is real and it is happening and have seen somehow the effects.

I've personally traveled close to the Antarctic and I can tell you there is something going on, Chilean's glaciers are stepping back pretty quick and it is not because we're in some loop its because of the temperature increase.

In the US or any other country is really hard to notice the effects of the hole in the ozone layer, since the hole is not there. In Chile, have increase the death rate and people who have gotten skin cancer and regular sun burns are not more regular than years ago even using the 60+FPS sun block.

Now adding more items to the discussion there is the Kyoto treaty, which some countries still haven't acknowledged and which basically regulates the production of emissions in a certain period of time, here we can include the use of smaller engine vehicles such as scooters, motorcycles or even the bike. lot of books there also, most fuel companies did huge lobby to make the governments not to sign off that.

I'm not pointing any fingers, neither talking about conspiracy theories, as we all know at some point it becomes all about the money.

If you have some arguments and facts, lets share and have a nice discussion.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Had 7 degrees F. of global warming here lastnight....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
BIBLE!!!!!!! Times is what it is..

But 50% Bible and 50% Us

EarthQuakes are getting Bigger then ever.

We may be warming up the planet , China has the worst SMOG on the Planet
California is all so Smoggy as well. Heck i know for sure that Gas Do Cause Smog, Seen it in Salt Lake, There are two or so Roads that lead In and Out , Strange thing The Smog was just over the Highway no where else.

As was said by fernando, Glaciers are melting Once there All gone I guess it would be 90 degrees there and What Here ? degrees

Question is if all the Cold places are gone would the Planet turn into a Hot ball.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think Global Warming and Global Cooling has been going on in cycles since time began. I think what the very recently arriving humans do has very little impact on it. I live in the mountains of Virginia about 350 miles from the ocean. The mountains I live in were formed by glaciers millions of years ago which indicates it was once very cold here. In the rock formations in these mountains there are fossils of fish indicates that before the cold snap, it was warm enough to melt ice to form bodies of water here. There are also fossils of dinosaurs here which also indicates it was warm here at a time either before or after the fish were here.

Regardless of the billions and trillions of dollars we have and will spend on attempts to prevent global warning, I think the climate will continue to change as it has always done. We think in terms of years and the climate reacts in terms of thousands of years.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Funny, oil is a fossil fuel. Lots of oil in northern Alaska. The Badlands in South Dakota was created by a tropical sea, and northern Ohio was covered by a glacier 3000ft thick and Greenland was green. Someone tell me who was responsible for the climate change back then?

Going back in history we see mini ice ages etc and it has been scientifically proven they were caused by sun activity or lack thereof. I'll buy a telescope and watch anyone who wants to go to the sun and change the temperature setting.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
California is all so Smoggy as well.
CA smog has actually gotten much better, especially in Los Angeles. I remember as a kid, not being able to see the mountains the smog was so bad, now there's not a day, even in summer, they're not pretty clear. I'm not saying there isn't some smog, we live in a mountainous bowl after all, but it used to be like China is today, ya couldn't breath some days. Now, its much, much improved.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The truth is that if global warming is true, it is no threat to the planet whatsoever. So all those folks urging us to 'save the planet' are campaigning on a false premise.

However global warming could cause a catastrophe for the human race.

But maybe the planet will be happier without humans.;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes that is correct.. the planet will go on it's merry way without us and about 90% of the rest of the biome.

If however you are concerned about it being cold....read some science so you understand it.

Because the Arctic is warming so fast it has split the polar high pressure zones leading to som remarkably cold excursions further south.

You can see the difference here

and even more pronounced here

read the article explaining it
http://www.noaa.gov/features/02_monitoring/warmarctic.html

More moisture in the atmosphere from AGW means when moist air hits cold air as it always will since our planet is tilted....then you get more snow and stronger storms.

Climate change is not only making the planet warmer, it is also making snowstorms stronger and more frequent, US scientists said on Tuesday.
"Heavy snowstorms are not inconsistent with a warming planet," said scientist Jeff Masters, as part of a conference call with reporters and colleagues convened by the Union of Concern Scientists.
"In fact, as the Earth gets warmer and more moisture gets absorbed into the atmosphere, we are steadily loading the dice in favor of more extreme storms in all seasons, capable of causing greater impacts on society."
Masters said that the northeastern United States has been coated in heavy snowfall from major Category Three storms or larger three times in each of the past two winters, storms that are unparalleled since the winter of 1960-61.
http://phys.org/news/2011-03-global-snowstorms-scientists.html

and in case anyone tries to tell you the warming is stopped.....well the atmosphere is only a small part of the global energy balance....

It's not just melting ice that will cause sea level rise...but the expansion of the oceans from the additional energy....

Just to give you a small idea of the scale of the warming that is going on....it's the thermal equivalent of setting off 4 Hiroshima level thermonuclear events.....every second.
You can do the math from there.

Fox News et al are just in the pockets of the fossil companies spending millions to confuse a simple issue....

It's getting hotter
We're responsible...

The complex issue is what to do about it.

This will give you an idea of how much the fossil companies are trying to dodge the issue..worth your time...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/climate-of-doubt/

there are some good starting spots if you want to understand...instead of swallowing Faux News reports...

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/start-here/

and these are just basic physics easy to understand...the physics have been understood for over a century....just no one beleived at the time that we could pump the levels of C02 up the way we have.......

Background/history
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/summary.htm

Carbon cycle
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/research/themes/carbon/

so what was in the far future.....is now.

Do recall it is climate change...so wilder weather of all sorts lurks more and more frequently.

Interesting times.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those who have promoted global warming usually have a very large vested interest in the claims they make.
Specifically, they nearly all receive grants and funding from governments and institutions who would NOT give out the grants if they didn't keep up the lie.
There are THOUSANDS of scientists who will not go along with the lie just to continue receiving a handout.
How do the warmers explain the slight DECLINE in average global temperatures since 1999? Hmmm. They can't.
Oh, and anyone besides me remember when the "chicken little / sky is falling crowd" were on the covers of Time and Newsweek in the 1970's saying that an ice age was imminent?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Those who have promoted global warming usually have a very large vested interest in the claims they make.
Specifically, they nearly all receive grants and funding from governments and institutions who would NOT give out the grants if they didn't keep up the lie.
There are THOUSANDS of scientists who will not go along with the lie just to continue receiving a handout.
How do the warmers explain the slight DECLINE in average global temperatures since 1999? Hmmm. They can't.
Oh, and anyone besides me remember when the "chicken little / sky is falling crowd" were on the covers of Time and Newsweek in the 1970's saying that an ice age was imminent?
I haven't received a dime, IMHO I've seen the effects on real glaciers and meet real people with skin cancer not through Discovery Channel.

but im sure there are some lucky ones that get paid to walk around with a global warming sign at Dupont Circle in DC.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

we'll wait....hint - there's a Penguin on the cover.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You gonna stand by that 1977 cover??? or perhaps watch the PBS exposé ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
New absolute coldest temperature ever recorded in Antartica. Just heard the report today, December 10, 2013. -135 degrees Fahrenheit. Beat the old record of -128 degrees. Colder than ANY other place on earth, at ANY time in recorded history.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I see you are dodging Yoda....care to defend your thesis?? - show us the Time cover. Easy question - why won't you?

•••

Antarctica will always be cold and that is in part also human induced from our near destruction of the ozone layer.
The planet tilts, it gets cold you can't have IR trapping with no IR.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts